User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:55   #1
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of
Jolt working on pa?

Just wondering, since we havent heard anything for quite a while (at least not anything that I have noticed). Has jolt been working on ways to improve the player base of planetarion lately, through marketting or planned marketting or anything related? The game is growing again, new alliances are created, old alliances are returning. Pa is comming back to life on its own, and a little "push" from Jolt could really get stuff going.

-TheRat

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 00:22   #2
Rocklobster[Dok]
Victuri te Salutant

Rocklobster[Dok] is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jolt working on pa?

couldnt agree more

Rock

A regular day on the lego server:
<Alf> We are Gren's bitches.. we should be proud to hump his legs
<Alf> wanna swap legs Nexus?
<Alf> This leg of Gren is smooth.. but I like some hair now
<Nexus> sure m8
<Nexus> i want the shaven now
Rocklobster[Dok] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 01:44   #3
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 03:23   #4
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

and the so called "community initiative"?? Havent heard anything either.

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 05:04   #5
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

The community initiative was something we were supporting but I believe the main person behind it - alch - retired from major activity in PA and it went quiet.

With regards to marketing and promoting the game we continue to look at what we can do, we will be doing a free game of some description later this month but beyond that I can't give any details at the moment.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 05:09   #6
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffy
we will be doing a free game of some description later this month but beyond that I can't give any details at the moment.
Great! Very glad to hear that Jolt is showing the community that they DO care about the game! Also, why are you working at this hour?

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:03   #7
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

oooh a free game
there funny because farms crop up everywere when things are free

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:52   #8
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Hehe, not so pessimistic noah r4 was fun as well even though 1/4th were farms at least
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:53   #9
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Free short 'round' sounds great, hopefully will atract a lot of new players who would play the next real round.
<Zhil> I am HC
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:54   #10
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt there always an open beta anyways ?
And thats usually free.

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:55   #11
noah02
The Original Terran

Oh and sign up 72 hours before havoc and you got the best free game in the world

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 12:30   #12
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew faces would light up.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 13:11   #13
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

So with a free round coming up, we can expect LDK to play another round ?

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 16:06   #14
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

It would be interesting to read what marketing strategy is being implimented to attract new players, as I'm sure many others would?

Perhaps the community could help comming up with some good, cost effective ways too attract new members to our community?

Why not have an open discussion forum on the subject?

My point being, if one if not being implimented at this time, you are already too late for next round. So lets kick start it eh?
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 17:49   #15
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
and the so called "community initiative"?? Havent heard anything either.
You are advertising it in your sig. Surely that means you are some part of it or do you all just advertise it to be seen as part of the in crowd? Its no wonder things like that fail when most of the people just jump in to be seen to be doing something good and earn a few Brownie points and then drop out before any real work gets done.
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 12:31   #16
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

aa freee 500 ticks round would might do the thingy. and jolt maybee can market more
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
ils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 17:01   #17
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
So with a free round coming up, we can expect LDK to play another round ?
Alliance ranks:

1. LDK
2. LDK's brothers
3. LDK's parents and grandparents
4. LDK's dogs + cats
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 22:26   #18
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

Quote:
The community initiative was something we were supporting but I believe the main person behind it - alch - retired from major activity in PA and it went quiet.
yeah sorry, as much as i would help, i find it really hard right now to run more and more community initiative while i dont have the free time to do it, the community initiative isnt something limited to myself and ill be happy to see other people following the path and organizing events for the community.

I have to say i played last round after not playing round11, and i quite enjoyed it.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 13:03   #19
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

You found the time to play PA then.
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 13:09   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

don't get to excited, no one said a free round, just some sort of free game.

Round 13 will be a normal round, but who knows what might happen before it starts......

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 13:35   #21
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

kal, there's already a post on the portal saying there'll be a free speedgame, and iirc at least one paid one.

tbh, i'm not quite sure why there's the free one, but jolt're obviously listening to the community in their own way as normal.

-mist
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 15:09   #22
Bartje

Bartje is an unknown quantity at this point

well it will be fun to see if they can keep the 1 min ticks going then at the 'free' speedgame...
coz iirc during r12 beta there we so many players that they had to put the ticks to 5 mins
so my guess is itll be free, but only for like 250 orso players... nice tactic to gain new customers Jolt

[kc]Bart aka 'IcDeAdPeOpLe'

[22:29] * Rebenne gets naked
[22:29] * Berk throws up
[22:29] * [kc]Bart hides
[22:29] * Hook ducks
[22:29] * Rebenne asks : WHO WANNA PARTY!
Bartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 15:54   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
kal, there's already a post on the portal saying there'll be a free speedgame, and iirc at least one paid one.

tbh, i'm not quite sure why there's the free one, but jolt're obviously listening to the community in their own way as normal.

-mist

reason for a free speedgame is to actually get some players, paid speedgames tend to be quite small and dull theese days unfortuntly, but with a free one first we can hopefully get some people playing who wouldn;t normally and get people addicted to speedgames again.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 7 Jan 2005, 16:49   #24
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

if they limit the free speedgame (which they may have too due to demand), they will ONLY get excisting players playing in it.

If they managed to get some new players in it, they hopefully will enjoy it, but when the real game starts with 1 hr ticks, they may find it boring and not what they expected, then go elsewhere which gives them Free 1min ticks.

Planetarion with 1min ticks is NOT what your selling. If your going to use the "FREE" type of marketing too attract new players, then give them the true service you wish to market & sell and not the speedgame, which isnt for newbies, but for hardcore players, lets be honest about it.

This free speedgame is really only for the current hardcore players who will have the time to play. By all means give it to them, god only knows they surely decirve it. But dont lets yourselfs be fooled that this free speedgame will attract new paying players to this community.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 17:01   #25
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

Maybe I read it wrong Zeus, but I think the free speed game was to hook some people for the paid speed game, not really PA Full. I could be wrong, but that is how I read it. In theory tho, if PA was going to sell speed games to the public as a primary product it might work. Partiularly if the the games were in 4-6 hour blocks over the course of a week or two. By that I mean a speed game starts at 18:00 GMT and and ends 22:00 GMT and starts back up and shuts down at the same time each day for a couple weeks. That way a speed game is like live combat and you can actually have a RL between the game times. Two weeks at 4 hour spans is 3300 + ticks. Run 6 - 4 hour time blocks a day and you can generate some revenue if you get people through the doors.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 17:51   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall
Maybe I read it wrong Zeus, but I think the free speed game was to hook some people for the paid speed game, not really PA Full. I could be wrong, but that is how I read it. In theory tho, if PA was going to sell speed games to the public as a primary product it might work. Partiularly if the the games were in 4-6 hour blocks over the course of a week or two. By that I mean a speed game starts at 18:00 GMT and and ends 22:00 GMT and starts back up and shuts down at the same time each day for a couple weeks. That way a speed game is like live combat and you can actually have a RL between the game times. Two weeks at 4 hour spans is 3300 + ticks. Run 6 - 4 hour time blocks a day and you can generate some revenue if you get people through the doors.

basically due to problems with one of our servers we only have one availiable for games of any type, meaning we can only run speed games when the main game is not running, if we coudl get an increased demand for speed games i.e. by offering a free one so more people can try them, then it would be worth running speedgames more often and perhpas of different types and as such it would be worth replacing the annoying server. I do not think there will have to be any limit to the number of players in the free speedgame as we have solved a lot of load issues over the cause of this round. The round 13 code will have even more optimisations which might remove the downtime due to backups among other things. So future speedgames in the future should defintly have fewer load issues.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 7 Jan 2005, 18:10   #27
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

At the moment we cannot afford to run a full game for free.

We covered this in a previous thread towards the end of last year.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 18:10   #28
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I agree with pretty much everything Zeus said.

I cant see any paid speed game having more than 200 or so players because most people realise they dont stand a chance if they arent going to be active for 24 hours straight (or however long) and most people cant spare that amount of time. I'm sure the free one will attract more players, but they will soon realise that speedgames arent a place for newbies and they will be bashed from all sides at all times. They wont come back for more, whereas they might do if a free normal round (or half round) had been offered.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 18:38   #29
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i'd have said "won't afford" was more accurate.

that asside, what zeus said

-mist
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 03:44   #30
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Extreme advertising work, extreme advertising is expencive. Free real rounds work, free rounds is expencive. In my opinion there will never be a good flow of new players without some serious expendure, as an example the combination of the two methods mentioned. With the current frustrated players trying their best to keep/bring back old players, we wont gain more players than we loose, maybe even loose more than we gain. A free speedround may work, but it depends on the advertising it gets. An article on www.planetarion.com..... do you think none-planetarion players will read that? i dont. I say start mailing info to the magazines, gamers-sites, game-newsgroups and game-forums... ok this is what the players tried on their own initiative, but you need to get some weight behind it, like an official jolt mail. Heck, invite the editors, admins and similars of the mentioned mags, sites, newsgroups and forums to play a free speedround, get them intriqued.

Who walks into a music store to buy a CD of an artist they've never heard shit about?

Advertising and publicity...

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 04:29   #31
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I agree with pretty much everything Zeus said.

I cant see any paid speed game having more than 200 or so players because most people realise they dont stand a chance if they arent going to be active for 24 hours straight (or however long) and most people cant spare that amount of time. I'm sure the free one will attract more players, but they will soon realise that speedgames arent a place for newbies and they will be bashed from all sides at all times. They wont come back for more, whereas they might do if a free normal round (or half round) had been offered.
actually i think your wrong, speed games are a perfect learning enviroment for newbies. its so fast paced, your practically taking out politics (until later in round when you need to have 2 cents about you). where as in a normal game, if ur not in a good allaince from day one, your not really going anywhere in a hurry.
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 14:22   #32
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall
Speedgame is a marathon, only the strong with high constitution survive
<Zhil> I am HC

Unread 10 Jan 2005, 21:51   #33
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

Well as usual, the Speedgames wont be much of use to the newbies or new potential customer who never played the game, it can be a good environment for new alliances style veneratio or other alliances who want to play as some kind of bg like R6B did and have some fun.

The FREE speedgames are good and nice for people who allready played PA and will push them to play and have fun without paying for a credit, while the main goal of The marketing team (if there is any) is to attract new players, such event wont ensure this goal, but you will definitly will get some happy customer within the community for giving them a free product.

I dont really know what Jolt is doing lately, tho i didnt hear from them lately, it seems that as usual, there is 2 team working separatly, the PA team and the community, both are doing their things and the communication is horrible between them, i would have expected more official from the behalf of the PA TEAM.

I expect from the PA TEAM much more... While i know they are doing their best, it seems to me that most of the work is being done by a small core within the PA team while the effort is spread on too much things.
My experience would say that when a little core is spreading its effort on much more initiative they can handle, 1) it will take more time to handle everything 2) there is no chance they can excel in one of the category as they will try to run against the clock and try to accomplish everything in this time frame.

I think Jolt should be more involved, i think PA team should grow to a bigger team in order to try to excel in all the categories they are handling, and they should aswell drop some category as they allready learnt from past experience that it is just a waste of time (did i hear portan no one visit?)