User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:02   #1
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
An open letter to Dace

Rather than simply acknowledge that Dace's PM's are knacked and compose this in a pm style, lets have a question and answer session directed at GD's favourite poster.

So how's the job going then?
Found a flatmate yet?
any profound changes or amusing tales?
What is your email address again, i've managed to totally erase most of my email addy's and emails.........

feel free to add a question that Dace can answer, or not.......
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:06   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Are you gay, and if not, why not?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:14   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Where do you want to go today?™
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:16   #4
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
When we move to that strange country, are we gonna have one or two mansions?
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:19   #5
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
got milk?
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:22   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hey little baby you're changing
Babe are you feeling sore?
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:23   #7
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Does my right earlobe itch?

This is a question asking session, not a statement making one!

Get out of my head!

Last edited by Leshy; 8 Jun 2003 at 16:17.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 16:05   #8
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you really JammyJim's gimmick account?
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 16:07   #9
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
daddy

or chips?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 16:15   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
is scotland as bad as it sounds?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:25   #11
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JBOY
So how's the job going then?
Found a flatmate yet?
any profound changes or amusing tales?
What is your email address again, i've managed to totally erase most of my email addy's and emails.........

- The new job is going fine. I'm tempted to say that i like it but i feel that would be going to far (how can you like working?!). Suffice to say i can stand it ... 'it's alright'.

- The flat is going to be renovated soon (i'll give you the details in irc). However once it's done my sister and one of her (female) friends will be moving in.

- One of my friends got cautioned by the Police the other week for pissing in a phone box.

- I'll give you my e-mail addy in irc (i don't want the freaks who inhabit this board to know it en masse).

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Are you gay, and if not, why not?

- I'm not Gay.

- I'm not Gay because it's against God and against the Bible (it's also pretty ****ing sick).

Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
Where do you want to go today?™

- I think i'm staying in today.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
When we move to that strange country, are we gonna have one or two mansions?

- Two mansions definately.

Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
got milk?

- Yes at the flat in the fridge but it's like 2 weeks out of date (i just finished drinking the 'in date' stuff).

Quote:
Hey little baby you're changing
Babe are you feeling sore?

- No.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Does my right earlobe itch?

- Occasionally.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grimble
Are you really JammyJim's gimmick account?

- No. I'm also hurt that you'd accuse me of such a terrible thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
daddy or chips?

- Chips

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
is scotland as bad as it sounds?

- Scotland is alright to visit (beautiful scenery etc) but you wouldn't want to live here (unless you have already got yourself a fit bird in which case all the **** weather gives you an excuse to 'stay in' which makes Scotland good).
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:30   #12
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Dace
- Two mansions definately.
Why definately?
Am i that bad ?

Ok, on the same estate, or two estates?
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:31   #13
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Why definately?
Am i that bad ?

Ok, on the same estate, or two estates?

OPPOSITE - ENDS - OF - THE - ISLAND!
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:32   #14
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace
OPPOSITE - ENDS - OF - THE - ISLAND!
Oh.

EDIT : then you cant use my norwegian charms to pull women!
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:32   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

A cylindrical hole six inches in diameter has been drilled through the centre of a sphere. What is the remaining volume in the sphere?
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:38   #16
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
A cylindrical hole six inches in diameter has been drilled through the centre of a sphere. What is the remaining volume in the sphere?
4/3 pi r cubed - 18 pi r

r is radius of sphere in inches

innit

<edit> oops</edit>
Are the best i've ever had

Last edited by Ragnarak; 7 Jun 2003 at 17:43.
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:38   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
4/3 pi r cubed - 54pi

r is radius of sphere in inches

innit
I want the precise value, not a variable.

And where did you get the 54 from?
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:42   #18
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

And where did you get the 54 from?

oops
:-(

i assumed actual sphere was much larger than 6 inches so the ends of the cylinder could be approximated to being flat (ie. not curved)

then vol of cylinder is 2 * radius of sphere * 9pi

was meant to be 18 pi * r

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:45   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
oops

i assumed actual sphere was much larger than 6 inches so the ends of the cylinder could be approximated to being flat (ie. not curved)

then vol of cylinder is 2 * radius of sphere * 9pi

was meant to be 18 pi * r

At best that's an approximation to the answer, not an accurate answer.

But ignoring that, it still has variables.

Get rid of the r.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:47   #20
Ragnarak

Quote:
At best that's an approximation to the answer, not an accurate answer.

But ignoring that, it still has variables.

Get rid of the r.
i've spent the last 2 days revising kinetic theory and electrons in solids

all i know now is approximations :-(
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 17:50   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
i've spent the last 2 days revising kinetic theory and electrons in solids

all i know now is approximations :-(
Excuses, excuses.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 18:14   #22
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
i've decided

to have a sort of 'holiday' in scotland this year, just because it's there and it's accessible and i've never actually seen it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 18:34   #23
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I really could'nt give a ****.
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 07:05   #24
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
doesnt it depend on the size of the sphere ?
You're supposed to work out the size of the sphere yourself...

What M. Jakiri didn't mention is that the sphere is casting a shadow, you need to work out the size of the shadow, and then you can work out the size of the sphere.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 12:57   #25
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: i've decided

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
to have a sort of 'holiday' in scotland this year, just because it's there and it's accessible and i've never actually seen it.
its pretty

but there are strange people there
madi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 12:58   #26
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: i've decided

Quote:
Originally posted by madi
its pretty

but there are strange people there
Madi! \o/
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:04   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
doesnt it depend on the size of the sphere ?
Obviously not, otherwise I wouldn't ask the question.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:11   #28
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
how long is the cylinder?
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:13   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
how long is the cylinder?
Amazingly, as long as it takes to have a hole through the sphere.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:14   #30
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Do you take it up every hole MrL ?

R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:19   #31
madi
a little bit broken

Quote:
Amazingly, as long as it takes to have a hole through the sphere.
that would depend on the diameter of the sphere

you could drill a six inch hole through the planet or though a sphere of only just over six inch diameter

you want a value not an equation for an answer with this variable?
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:20   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
that would depend on the diameter of the sphere

you could drill a six inch hole through the planet or though a sphere of only just over six inch diameter

you want a value not an equation for an answer with this variable?
The answer has no variables.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:22   #33
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
How?

Now I'm confused...
Edit: Oh
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:22   #34
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
Do you take it up every hole MrL ?

that doesn't even have any relation, you useless pile of biomass
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:23   #35
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Sorry, not thinking. The cylinder is 6 inches long, as my original statement says.
Your original statement says the cylinder is six inches in diameter, n'est pas? Not long...
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:24   #36
madi
a little bit broken

Quote:

then i am not smart enough to work it out

madi
xx
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:25   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Your original statement says the cylinder is six inches in diameter, n'est pas? Not long...
Ignore my correction. The question is correct.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:30   #38
Ragnarak

Quote:
Ignore my correction. The question is correct.
are you looking for an answer like:

"the volume of the sphere minus the volume of the cylinder"

or an actual numerical value?

and what do u mean by 'remaining volume in the sphere'?
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:32   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

A numerical value. Well, in terms of pi anyway.

Volume remaining as in 'The bit that's not cut out'.

Hold on, I was wrong before.

It's six inches long, not six inches in diameter.

My correction was correct, not incorrect as I had thought.

Gah. Brain no worky.

For simplicity's sake, I'll just restate the problem.

A cylindrical hole six inches long has been drilled through the centre of the solid sphere. What is the volume of the remaining portion of the sphere?

[edit]

The 6 inches refers to the length of the cylindrical section of the drilled hole.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 8 Jun 2003 at 13:38.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:35   #40
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Oh.

I found the answer.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 20:59   #41
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
4 and a half kilometres.
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 06:55   #42
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
A cylindrical hole six inches long has been drilled through the centre of the solid sphere. What is the volume of the remaining portion of the sphere?

[edit]

The 6 inches refers to the length of the cylindrical section of the drilled hole.
And as far as I've understood, you also mean that the hole passes not only through the centre of the sphere, but out the other side after it passes through the centre?

And the only variable specified is the length of the anti-cylinder?

So the currently insufficient information is, whether it's the missing cylinder centre that's 6 inches long, or the missing cylinder edge that's 6 inches long. Is the width of the hole supposed to be worked out, based on the strength of the ecco caused by whistling from inside the sphere, at different frequencies?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 08:52   #43
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
And as far as I've understood, you also mean that the hole passes not only through the centre of the sphere, but out the other side after it passes through the centre?

And the only variable specified is the length of the anti-cylinder?

So the currently insufficient information is, whether it's the missing cylinder centre that's 6 inches long, or the missing cylinder edge that's 6 inches long. Is the width of the hole supposed to be worked out, based on the strength of the ecco caused by whistling from inside the sphere, at different frequencies?
The answer is 0 volume. I'm taking the liberty to assume that the hole's diameter is invinate, hence the sphere does not exist after the drilling finishes.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 09:05   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
Well done, I see everyones read my Maths++ thread.
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 09:16   #45
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well done, I see everyones read my Maths++ thread.
Give me the damn radius to the hole or Jigglypuff gets it.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 09:49   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
Give me the damn radius to the hole or Jigglypuff gets it.
How am I supposed to know?
It varies
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 14:59   #47
madi
a little bit broken

stupid bloody question

is it length or diameter ?????

make your bloody mind up boy
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 15:02   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
stupid bloody question

is it length or diameter ?????

make your bloody mind up boy
Length.

And it's been answered.