User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Dec 2002, 16:18   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
I Can Hear Dog Whistles

And it really bothers me.

Ever since I was a kid.

Here's something you probably didn't know: televisions give off the most obnoxious high-pitched squeel you could ever imagine (computer monitors don't. Not sure why). I can always tell when there is a TV on in the house, no matter where I am (when it is muted, etc). And it annoys the hell out of me.

And when people blow dog whistles I just want to punch them:/

Is there any where I can get this checked out?

Supposedly when you get old you lose your ability to hear high pitches.

I can't wait.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 16:21   #2
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'm so old I can pick up ELF transmissions from submarines.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 16:46   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
'found it'

I love the internet.

K.

If you are interested, download this. It is a 6-7 second high frequency sweep.

Note where you can no longer hear it. And then apply it to the chart at the bottom.

Oh. And about the television. Off the same page, "I used to be able to hear the 19kHz hum of the high-voltage switching power supplies in TV's, but that's what happens as one grows older. Advice to fellow audio enthusiasts: buy the best equipment you can while you're still young!"
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 17:12   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I see dead people

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 18:02   #5
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I Can Hear Dog Whistles

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis

Here's something you probably didn't know: televisions give off the most obnoxious high-pitched squeel you could ever imagine (computer monitors don't. Not sure why). I can always tell when there is a TV on in the house, no matter where I am (when it is muted, etc). And it annoys the hell out of me.
I can hear it too.

i tell people i can hear the TV, and they're like "you can't 'hear' a tv unless you have the sound on, and i'm like, no, i can tell when the tv is on because i can it"

they are so many unbelievers in the world.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 18:58   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I can hear it all through...
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 19:00   #7
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Can hear up to about 17-18kHz of that wave file on my speakers, but I can clearly hear television hums of all normal televisions, so if television hums are 19kHz, then I have bad speakers...

[edit]Turns out the system sound was turned a lot of the way down... Can now hear up to about 19kHz, but not as clearly as a television set.

Reason why some people who can hear television sets can't hear computer monitors is probably because computer monitors would have a frequency of about 76kHz. (Depending on refresh rate and resolution.)[/edit]
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->

Last edited by Cyp; 9 Dec 2002 at 19:17.
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2002, 14:13   #8
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Same as Phang, I can hear it all the way, I also found the higher frequencies to be quite painful, even at low volume.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 13:19   #9
MonotoneMan

I didn't try that download, because I have no sound on this computer, but I can hear TV's too. I never notice it anymore unless the TV is muted and there is no or almost no other sound.