User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:12   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Chemistry question

Putting chemistry questions into a physics degree shouldn't be allowed, especially cos i remember **** all from A-Level

I need to figure out how much energy (in joules) is provided by "one barrel of oil". One barrel holds 0.159 metres cubed of oil.

We're meant to make lots of assumptions as the question is very vague and it's only an esitmation.

I assume i need the enthalpy of combustion of "oil" or something but like i said, i sucked at chemistry.

Any help would be cool.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:15   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Chemistry question

Don't you get the density of oil and just use e=mc^2? I dunno though, maybe your course makes super duper meaningless and unnecessarily complicated questions.

Edit: And wouldn't provide mean you'd have to know the precise workings of whatever was transforming the energy from one state to another and the percentage efficiency and god but physics seriously sucks.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:16   #3
leknu
Ensign

leknu is on a distinguished road

How about beeing annoying little git and just go with e=mc^2 which is quite likely not going to be considered as right answer, but is not exactly wrong either.

edit: duh, too slow
leknu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:48   #4
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's fair to say you will need to know how much energy is tied up in the chemical bonds (i.e. how much you get by burning it), not the amount in the mass.

So yes, you'll need the enthalpy of combustion. If you can't get it that simply you'll need the energy in the various types of bond involved (C-C, O=O and C=O primarily I assume) and the average size of hydrocarbons in whichever fraction of crude is shipped in barrels.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:52   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_frog
So yes, you'll need the enthalpy of combustion. If you can't get it that simply you'll need the energy in the various types of bond involved (C-C, O=O and C=O primarily I assume) and the average size of hydrocarbons in whichever fraction of crude is shipped in barrels.

I find the fact you included the word simply in that statement downright hilarious.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 16:17   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Don't you get the density of oil and just use e=mc^2? I dunno though, maybe your course makes super duper meaningless and unnecessarily complicated questions.
I don't think 1/2 of the oil is antimatter.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 16:18   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri

That's what you get for not thinking I suppose.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 20:03   #8
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If i remember correctly (and im not sure i do) what you do is:

- Write out the formula for combustion (ie hydrocarbon to water and carbon dioxide etc).

- Show the energy break at each point.

- Work out the total anthalpy (might not be the right word) change for the single equation.

- Multiply by the total amount of moles or whatever of the hydrocarbon.

Something like that anyway (i *think*).
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 20:06   #9
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hmmmmm what G-frog said (i didnt realise he had).
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 20:07   #10
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Hmmmmm what G-frog said (i didnt realise he had).
heh ta
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 01:35   #11
alastair18

alastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the rough

I got asked a similar question at an interview. Because I didn't know any of the chemical bond strengths I could not get an answer that way. Instead I assumed the oil was basically the same as petrol and calculated how much work a car would do with it. It can only get you a rough answer but unless you just use the E=mc^2 forumla you won't have fully converted the oil into energy.
alastair18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 09:30   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair18
It can only get you a rough answer but unless you just use the E=mc^2 forumla you won't have fully converted the oil into energy.
As I said, you're assuming that 50% of the oil is antimatter.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 09:57   #13
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't think 1/2 of the oil is oxygen, either. (Or however much oxygen would be needed.)
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 09:59   #14
alastair18

alastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As I said, you're assuming that 50% of the oil is antimatter.
No, I just happen to have a complete barrel of anti-matter oil in my room. :tongue: When I mix them the two I will get a certain amount of energy out. Now you just need to halve this to get the amount of energy stored in the first barrel.

The question says nothing about the way you use the oil to create energy. If you burn the oil you require Oxygen but we don't have to assume that there is a high pressure pocket of oxygen in the barrel?
alastair18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 10:05   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair18
No, I just happen to have a complete barrel of anti-matter oil in my room. :tongue: When I mix them the two I will get a certain amount of energy out. Now you just need to halve this to get the amount of energy stored in the first barrel.
Or have half of the oil made of antimatter, in other words?

You're also assuming several other things, but to have several orders of magnitude more antimatter than we've ever been able to produce is a tad silly.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 10:20   #16
Cyp
∞+♪²

Quote:
Or have half of the oil made of antimatter, in other words?

You're also assuming several other things, but to have several orders of magnitude more antimatter than we've ever been able to produce is a tad silly.
More or less silly than the original question, in its context?
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 10:21   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyp
More or less silly than the original question, in its context?
You mean including a physics question in a physics course?
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 10:26   #18
Cyp
∞+♪²

Quote:
You mean including a physics question in a physics course?
I mean, that particular physics/chemistry question in a physics course.

Note that in physics classes, questions often involve things we can't build, such as infinitely long cylinders and stuff. So why not a bit of antimatter too..?
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:09   #19
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

One barrel of oil contains the energy you can wrk out with e=mc^2. Even if half is not made of antimatter. However, unless half is made from antimatter you cannot access that energy....at least not without making a kickass invention which would abolish the need for oil (100% efficient matter-energy converion).

Its still there though. Use e=mc^2.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:30   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

No.

It says provided by, not exists.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:43   #21
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Yes. Does it say "provided by when you burn the oil"? Nope. Does it say "provided by when you freeze the oil"? Nope.

Since it in no way specifies how the energy is provided, a complete matter-energy conversion is just as viable as any othr method of procuring energy from it.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:46   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
Since it in no way specifies how the energy is provided, a complete matter-energy conversion is just as viable as any othr method of procuring energy from it.
VIABLE?

Since when was it viable to create half a drum of antimatter?

As you said yourself, you can't access that energy.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:51   #23
Bunga
I'm not a poet

I didn't mean viable as in we being physically capable of extracting the energy. I meant viable in the hypothetical question. After all, we don't have that drum, do we? Its just hypothetical. We can't access the energy at all, since the drumdoesn't exist! Extracting "all" the energy is just a "bit more" hypthetical. So what?

The question, as is, is entirely ambiguous . Either answer is correct really.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:53   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Correct in the sense of being literally possible yes, but correct in the sense of nothavingyourmarkstakenawayforbeingasmartarse, no.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:56   #25
Bunga
I'm not a poet

If an answer is technially correct, you get full marks. Sometimes you need more detail for it to be technically correct, but you still get the marks if you play it right.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:57   #26
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

specify kinetic energy, then no energy at absolute zero.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:59   #27
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
If an answer is technially correct, you get full marks. Sometimes you need more detail for it to be technically correct, but you still get the marks if you play it right.
No you don't. You get marks according to the mark scheme, and nothing else.

If a question said "Write everything you know about covalent bonds" and I wrote "I know nothing about covalent bonds" my answer would be technically correct, but i wouldn't get any marks.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:02   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf
specify kinetic energy, then no energy at absolute zero.
Actually, absolute 0 doesn't imply 0 energy, just the minimum amount of energy that the atom can have before it collapses.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:03   #29
Bunga
I'm not a poet

You would never, ever, ever get a question asking you to "write all you know about covalent bonds". Thats the exact phrase my high school Chemistry teacher used when she told us what not to ever, ever, ever write. I'd ask if you were she, but as far as I know she's not in Trinity College right now.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:05   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

He's doing classics, what does he know?

ps

The only subject I know where they HAVE to award you credit for alternative solutions (in some cases more) is mathematics.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:08   #31
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
He's doing classics, what does he know?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:09   #32
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Is this High School or Uni we're talking about? All through High School at least, I was awarded full marks for any correct answer with supporting proof in all subjects except History (well I didn't take it, but my friends told stories). Saying "the holocaust didn't happen" even if you provided evidence for it, gave 0 marks.

"Alternate" solutions were rare because most questions were very carefully worded. But the still happened occasionally.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:12   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Uni I presume, which generally means the answer is 'Whatever the lecturer wants'
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 23:15   #34
Bunga
I'm not a poet

True. Most of my lecturers gave credit for any correct solution, but there were a couple.... gah! Lennart was a p***k.