User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:03   #51
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
One flew over the GD cuckoo's nest..... aah but seriously. I could bet my balls that almost all of my friends would get "serious" results from that test. It doesnt mean a thing.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:18   #52
storeslem
magister

storeslem is an unknown quantity at this point
Results

Type Probability
ADD Combined Type Not Probable more info
ADD Inattentive Type Highly Probable more info
Cingulate System Hyperactivity May be possible more info
Limbic System Hyperactivity Not Probable more info
Basal Ganglia Hyperactivity May be possible more info
Temporal Lobe System Not Probable more info

I kind of expected a result like this, after having read the description of inattentive ADD.

When I was younger I remember being slightly hyperactive and having a tendency to be at wrong place at wrong time. Some of my classmates parents even suggested me having MBD (no idea what MBD is compared to ADD, but by descriptions I'd guess something quite similar). Really hope I have it, after all I won't change with a diagnosis, but it could help me sort out the mess I've made of school.
r2: 21:23:10 BrainDrain of Idealia
r3: 36:5:1 Efreet of Azur
r4: 6:5:12 StoreSlem of Idealia
r5: 19:19:21 BrainDrain of Eudamonia
r6: 22:17:x x of x (cant remember, magister tho)
r7: 22:23:x x of x (dont do drugs kids)
r9: 39:8:3 StoreSlem of Idealia

"Meningen med livet er å gjøre livet verdt å leve"
-Sigurdnw
storeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:30   #53
storeslem
magister

storeslem is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
JESUS DOES EVERYONE HAVE INNATTENTIVE ADD HERE?
Maybe online forums and/or Planetarion simply appeals more to a certain group of individuals.
r2: 21:23:10 BrainDrain of Idealia
r3: 36:5:1 Efreet of Azur
r4: 6:5:12 StoreSlem of Idealia
r5: 19:19:21 BrainDrain of Eudamonia
r6: 22:17:x x of x (cant remember, magister tho)
r7: 22:23:x x of x (dont do drugs kids)
r9: 39:8:3 StoreSlem of Idealia

"Meningen med livet er å gjøre livet verdt å leve"
-Sigurdnw
storeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:17   #54
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by storeslem
Maybe online forums and/or Planetarion simply appeals more to a certain group of individuals.
this is definitely not a 'statistical cross-section'

anyway, i actually happen have been of the impression for awhile that i have inattentive ADD.

i can't pay attention to anything for more than 20-30 seconds. my mind just wanders. it's hell when i have to read something, because i can't get more than 2-3 sentences before my brain wanders down some sidetrack.

i think in the next decade somebody is going to point out that there is a huge contingent among the population of particularly intelligent individuals that has this problem, and simply nobody notices cause they are smart enough to get good grades anyway.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 06:34   #55
The Nashmeister

ADD is an excuse for bad parents (who don't beat their children) to blame their little prick's behavior on a disease which makes millions for drug companies.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 06:41   #56
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by The Nashmeister
ADD is an excuse for bad parents (who don't beat their children) to blame their little prick's behavior on a disease which makes millions for drug companies.
in 90% of the cases, yes.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 08:02   #57
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Taking drugs, because of being diagnosed with ADD, is even less sensible than wearing a tinfoil hat, because of being diagnosed with alien mind control devices.

Most of that kind of "diagnosis" is highly unscientific, perscribing random drugs even more unscientific.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:00   #58
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Anybody who completes that long-winded test probably has no problem with their attention span.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:06   #59
Mong
Forever Delayed

Can I also point out that I was diagnosed with a whole load of things when I was much younger. My parents rightly said "bollocks".

I've now got a very good degree and a good job, and I'm doing my MSc later this year.

In all seriousness, don't take this kind of thing too seriously! You all seem fairly bright and the fact that you all play/played PA and are part of an online community etc, seems to indicate that your brain is functioning somewhere around the "normal" mark. If you were truly messed up, it's unlikely you'd be here.

Dr Mong prononces you all fit to resume normal activities!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:12   #60
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
i can't pay attention to anything for more than 20-30 seconds. my mind just wanders. it's hell when i have to read something, because i can't get more than 2-3 sentences before my brain wanders down some sidetrack.
I read a report that this is more likely due to large amounts of TV an internet consumption. just look at the way TV keeps flipping from image to image, never allowing the mind to concentrate on anything for a significant period.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 14:13   #61
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
I read a report that this is more likely due to large amounts of TV an internet consumption. just look at the way TV keeps flipping from image to image, never allowing the mind to concentrate on anything for a significant period.
yes, yes, yes.

but the question is "Can I sue?"
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:14   #62
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
In all seriousness, don't take this kind of thing too seriously! You all seem fairly bright and the fact that you all play/played PA and are part of an online community etc, seems to indicate that your brain is functioning somewhere around the "normal" mark. If you were truly messed up, it's unlikely you'd be here.
Being intellegent doesn't exactly preclude the existance of ADD or the like.

And before you comment on it being a 'joke' disorder, it's a legal disability and is down to a chemical inbalance in the brain. It's similar to autism in that respect.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:55   #63
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

And before you comment on it being a 'joke' disorder, it's a legal disability and is down to a chemical inbalance in the brain. It's similar to autism in that respect.
The "diagnosis" has absolutely nothing to do with a chemical imbalance.

"Oh no, you don't seem normal, you must have a chemical imbalance in your brain, and a tree growing out of your ear." Psychologist/psychiatrist then perscribes drugs and a gardener, without measuring brain or looking at ear.

About as scientific as a traditional witch hunt.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 16:00   #64
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
The "diagnosis" has absolutely nothing to do with a chemical imbalance.
Did I mention diagnoses?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 11:23   #65
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

I am aware it's a valid disorder! However I do dispute the sheer volume of kids diagnosed with it. It seems to be a convienient excuse for kids behaviour and/or lack of academic progress. In the USofA* it's quite widespread and Ritlin sales are massive.

So back to my point; I was quite an inattentive and even disruptive child. I was diagnosed with various ADD-esque things. My folks wisely dismissed the offers of medication, and I grew up to be actually pretty damn fine.

It's like ME ("Yuppy Flu"). It's a very valid illness - I had a workmate who was crippled by it - but it's used to explain away far too many cases of depression and stress (which are also real ailments).

So in summary; I'm not dismissing ADD or it's derivatives, but I am dismissing the notion that so many people are afflicted.

M.

* United States of that bit of North America between Canada and Mexico.

p.s. Mexico was called United States (of Mexico), long before the USofA got it's act together, iirc.
p.p.s Los Estados Unidos de México, obviously.
p.p.p.s These footnotes are totally off topic really.
p.p.p.p.s Unleash The Vegetarian!

O2 Rip-off campaign

Last edited by Mong; 28 Mar 2003 at 11:31.
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 11:59   #66
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
I grew up to be actually pretty damn fine.

p.p.p.p.s Unleash The Vegetarian!
hmm
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 15:18   #67
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:

Dr Mong prononces you all fit to resume normal activities!

M.
Can I have that confirmed in writing please?