User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:37   #1
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
The Imperial vs Metric system

Arghhhhh!
At work we need to predict the strength of corrugated packaging material, which is a doddle in Metric units.
Today I had to use imperial units of measurements, and what a nightmare.
Trying to use inches, feet and pounds per square feet for an american customer, was just incomprehensible to metric boy here.

Next time you flame an american, just stop and remember that they use still use imperial units and pity them, and think how lucky you are to use the Metric system.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:39   #2
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't really understand why anything other than Metric exists now.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:48   #3
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
imperial has silly numbers and stupid things. americans
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:48   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

I like Ike and his itty-bitty A-Bomb.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 10 Mar 2003 at 19:59.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:52   #5
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
convincing 280million people to change over is rather difficult. They're trying but there just aren't enough practical applications in effect. We learn it in school, but only the ones who go into the military or something similar actually use it.

The first trick was to force them to sell alcoholic beverages in metric units...oh yeah, like we pay attention to how much we're actually drinking.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:57   #6
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
The first trick was to force them to sell alcoholic beverages in metric units...oh yeah, like we pay attention to how much we're actually drinking.
The irony, when we still buy ours in pints!
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:57   #7
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
The problem is that in many everyday situations, the Imperial system is better. For instance, it is a lot easier to say that you are 6ft tall than to say 183cm (or whatever 6ft is in cm), and its similar with weights. 100 or 1000 little units to a big unit may be useful in science or commerce, but for normal usage having 12 or 14 little units to a big unit is much easier.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:14   #8
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I disagree. Saying that I am "one-eighty-three" is just as easy as saying "six feet". And saying that I am "one ninety" is just as easy as saying "six foot three" or whatever. I would hate to have to explain any measurement (like U-values for walls in houses) in non-SI units.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:17   #9
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Well it'll be good when we buy our beers in litres.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:17   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
It must be easier, otherwise people would never have started to use it.

Or was the Imperial system invented by someone with a very twisted sense of humour?
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:21   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
i'd rather change over from our silly base-10 number system.

you know there's a problem when you cannot divide 1 by 3 without an infinite number of digits in your answer.

PS: and for temperatures! in minnesota by centigrade the temperature would be negative for four month periods at a time. how useless is that?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:24   #12
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
i'd rather change over from our silly base-10 number system.

you know there's a problem when you cannot divide 1 by 3 without an infinite number of digits in your answer.
Tada!
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:27   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
Tada!
In which case, what about 5?

Quote:
and for temperatures! in minnesota by centigrade the temperature would be negative for four month periods at a time. how useless is that?
Use Kelvin then!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:29   #14
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Quote:
and for temperatures! in minnesota by centigrade the temperature would be negative for four month periods at a time. how useless is that?
No country actually uses the "metric" (I assume you mean the SI) temperature system. That would be the Kelvin system, and I for one would love to see that adopted around the globe too.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:33   #15
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
12 divided by 5 is 2.4

Which answers his complaint about infinite numbers of decimal places.

(No comedy "what about 7?" replies please )
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:34   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
12 divided by 5 is 2.4

What about 11?
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:42   #17
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Simple. Just use base 6469693230.

Quote:
12 divided by 5 is 2.4

In base 12:

10 (12) divided by 5 (5) is 2.497249724972497... (2.4).
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:45   #18
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Ahh.. but do we really want a base where 13 divided by 5 is three?

Well?
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:45   #19
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
In base 12:

10 (12) divided by 5 (5) is 2.497249724972497... (2.4).
I'm a Classicist! I can't be expected to know numbery stuff!

(Its not like I'm President of the Dozenal Society or anything)

What about base 60?

(You can think up all the new symbols, because I'm not going to)
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:50   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I'm a Classicist! I can't be expected to know numbery stuff!

(Its not like I'm President of the Dozenal Society or anything)

What about base 60?

(You can think up all the new symbols, because I'm not going to)
50?
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:55   #21
Bunga
I'm not a poet

no... 30 if anything.

divisible by 2, 3, 5, 6, 10 evenly
and 4, 8, 12 without too many decimals
and 11 and 9 with simple recurring.

11 and 7 are a bit annoying though.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:57   #22
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a crazy idea. How about base 10?
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 20:59   #23
Cyp
∞+♪²

Quote:
50?
60=2²*3*5
50=2*5²

As 50 has no unique prime factors to 60, 1/50 is not an infinite decimal in base 60.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 21:03   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
Here's a crazy idea. How about base 10?
It'll never work, we only have 60 fingers
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 21:12   #25
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It'll never work, we only have 60 fingers
when using fingers counting with base 2 is far easier and lets u count further then base 10
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 21:16   #26
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
PS: and for temperatures! in minnesota by centigrade the temperature would be negative for four month periods at a time. how useless is that?
Yeah, but -40 degrees is the same temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius! *

* Minnesota Fun Fact #2349.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 21:40   #27
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
I live in The uk and friad i still think in Miles rather than Km
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 21:43   #28
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Rinoa
I live in The uk and friad i still think in Miles rather than Km
Thats hardly surprising, seeing as we still use Miles.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:07   #29
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
we measure some things in inch here
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:15   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
The problem is that in many everyday situations, the Imperial system is better.
I sort of agree. For a lot of things a centimeter is too small, a meter too big - feet and inches just work better.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:37   #31
Cyp
∞+♪²

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
I sort of agree. For a lot of things a centimeter is too small, a meter too big - feet and inches just work better.
That's what decimetres are for.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:40   #32
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Quote:
Just use "two centimetres" or "half a metre" if you want something bigger os smaller.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:43   #33
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
I use both systems. Not that I have much choice since my world is half American (or Texan to be completely honest) and half European.

In Texas back in 1979, every 13-year old had to learn metric. We were already expected to know standard (imperial) measurements.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:47   #34
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Despite being taught in metric, I think of pretty much everything in Imperial. I don't saay I'm 183cm tall, I say I'm 6ft. I estimate distances in inches. It's just the way I've been brought up, and I see no practical disadvantage to the way I do it.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:49   #35
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
Just use "two centimetres" or "half a metre" if you want something bigger os smaller.
The best units for measurement in everyday situations are the ones that have the most useful base units.

A foot is useful because you can measure the height of people with a few (but not too few) feet. If a foot was half the size it is, people would be 12 feet tall, which is too high a number. If it was twice the size, they would be 3 feet tall, which is too small a number.

As it is, you can differentiate easily between different heights. 6 feet is sufficiently different to 5 feet 11 inches and 6 feet 1 inch. 183cm is not sufficiently different to 182cm, or 184cm. Thus, you can pretty accurately judge heights to the nearest unit.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:52   #36
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
If you want neat and exact representations of the results of integer divisions, use the rationals. So one divided by three is... a third. No infinite recursion there.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:54   #37
Cyp
∞+♪²

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
If you want neat and exact representations of the results of integer divisions, use the rationals. So one divided by three is... a third. No infinite recursion there.
That's too easy...
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 22:55   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Saying 15 centimetres or 33 centimetres is just rubbish compared to half a foot or a foot.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 23:02   #39
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
speaking from the perspective of a design engineer, the uk has an advantage, the 'real' world uses a both systems, learning one is a disadvantage, because british people tend to use both systems for different things, it makes it easier for engineering students to learn to easily swap between them. The metric system has one major draw back tho, its so so easy to misplace a decimal point and totally fck everything up, this is much more difficult in imperial, as any such mistake is easily noticed as silly numbers pop up in calculations. But in metric you have to be watchful since you can more easily have a mistake in the order of magnitude whilst the 'figures' themselves remain the same. Also there are differences between some british imperial and american imperial, for example gallons. And i wouldnt worry if you make the occasional mistake in swapping between them, after all nasa made the mother of all fck ups because of it...
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 23:21   #40
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
At least the Mars landers landed as opposed to the moon landings.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 23:29   #41
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
At least the Mars landers landed as opposed to the moon landings.
Yeah, but the Mars Climate Orbiter wasn't so fortunate.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 01:40   #42
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
i tend to just switch bases even if i don't have a problem like that anyway. even if i'm just adding numbers together, sometimes it's neat to see what happens in base 36.

so for 1/3 i'd probably just hit base 3 for the question anyway and I wouldn't care. people checking my work tend to have aneurysms, but i figure that its good experience for em.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 06:42   #43
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Re: The Imperial vs Metric system

Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
Arghhhhh!
At work we need to predict the strength of corrugated packaging material, which is a doddle in Metric units.
Today I had to use imperial units of measurements, and what a nightmare.
Trying to use inches, feet and pounds per square feet for an american customer, was just incomprehensible to metric boy here.

Next time you flame an american, just stop and remember that they use still use imperial units and pity them, and think how lucky you are to use the Metric system.
Work the problem in the units you are most comfortable with, when you have the final solution convert it into the desired units using the appropriate conversion factors.

It is not like the customer is going to ask for the "working out"?

Onliine converter

Last edited by Judge; 11 Mar 2003 at 06:58.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 09:01   #44
Cyp
∞+♪²

Re: Re: The Imperial vs Metric system

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
Onliine converter
3 terrahertz = 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,352 fresnel

No wonder I've never heard of a fresnel before...
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:05   #45
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
No country actually uses the "metric" (I assume you mean the SI) temperature system. That would be the Kelvin system, and I for one would love to see that adopted around the globe too.
Umm.. hate to burst your bubble but we've always used the metric system for temperature in Australia.

Regarding the use of metric for measurements, I actually find the opposite case to what many of the people have said here. To me, say using height again as an example, I've always found it difficult to picture how high say 1 foot is yet alone several feet.

I find measuring height in centremetres very convenient, because 100cm = 1M. Since the height of most people on average ranges from .5 metres to 1.5 metres +/- a few centremetres it allows me to picture very quickly approximately how heigh someone is.

Where accuracy is needed then we use millimetres, which allows pinpoint accuracy for any for of lenght, width or height.

I also prefer it because it is an easily divisible system, eg:

1Km = 1000M = 100,000cm = 1,000,000mm

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:42   #46
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
All themodern kids love metric..
Now buy one get one free too.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 12:25   #47
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Saying 15 centimetres or 33 centimetres is just rubbish compared to half a foot or a foot.
Saying 0.621 miles is just rubbish compared to 1km.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 12:31   #48
alastair18

alastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
Umm.. hate to burst your bubble but we've always used the metric system for temperature in Australia.

Regarding the use of metric for measurements, I actually find the opposite case to what many of the people have said here. To me, say using height again as an example, I've always found it difficult to picture how high say 1 foot is yet alone several feet.

I find measuring height in centremetres very convenient, because 100cm = 1M. Since the height of most people on average ranges from .5 metres to 1.5 metres +/- a few centremetres it allows me to picture very quickly approximately how heigh someone is.
The SI unit for temperature is Kelvin although this is the same size as a Celsius they have the 0 at different points.

1 foot is approximately the length of your foot (assuming you are a normal height adult male). Most imperial units are based on some reasonably common size and are thus quiet easy to visualise.

The height of most adults ranges from about 1.4M to 1.9M with 1.8M being roughly 6 foot and 1.5M being roughly 5 foot
alastair18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 12:34   #49
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Saying 0.621 miles is just rubbish compared to 1km.
Say 2/3rds of a mile then.

The point is that needing a measurement between 1cm and 1 metre is really common. Penises, monitor sizes, box sizes, cupboards, door widths, window panes, etc are all things which regularly need approximation. Feet and inches are things more convenient for these daily usage type terms. Obviously I use the metric system generally, but imperial still have their uses.

The difference between KM and miles is relatively minor, and I can't think why 2/3rds of a mile would be inherently more common than 1 and a 1/3rd kilometre (or whatever).
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 12:42   #50
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
as Cyp said, decimetres
Decimetres aren't in common use. Although a reasonably intelligent person would know what I was on about, that's useless for most conversations I have.

For instance, I have to take details of repairs for a housing association in my job. If I asked someone how big they thought their broken window was in decimetres, they would think I was taking the piss.

And I don't use anything between feet and inches. There's only 12 sub-units, why would I need something smaller? If I meet a girl in a nightclub who says that her ex-boyfriend had an 11 inch c*ck I don't need it any more exact - I know to cry now.

I'm not advocating using the imperial system for any detailed work - but for conversational uses it's just better (atm).