User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Mar 2003, 20:53   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Fireworks Anyone?

i don't know if they are legal in europe, but i don't get it.

people all seem to think it is cool to set off fireworks all the time, and it just seems stupid to me.

they are really loud and obnoxious,
they are illegal,
they don't look cool (not the ones you can get your hands on),
they occasionally screw up and damage property/people,
and they really piss off the neighbors.

i don't see any upside, unless you want to piss off your neighbors (it happens), but then i would wish you could be more creative than that.

not to say i don't think professional fireworks shows aren't okay, they are pretty decent. but in general the only enjoyment i get is when some drunk kid is setting off bottle rockets and accidentally fires one up his nose.

(ps: important safety tip. if a firework is about to go off very close to you, and you don't have time to get it away to a safe distance, squeeze it tightly between your hands or cup it to your chest. that way the shrapnel won't have a chance to accelerate to full speed before hitting your skin, and won't be able to do significant damage to you)

Last edited by acropolis; 3 Mar 2003 at 21:02.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 20:59   #2
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Here in New Mexico, they:

a) Are legal
b) Are generally 'modified' so that they reach about a quarter mile in altitude and detonate with an explosion roughly equal to a M-2 explosive
c) can be used at any time, but only sold in December and June/July

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 20:59   #3
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Only on,
New year's eve,
fine dark suits,
paper hats,
les grands salutes.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:07   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I've been using it for the last 2 months or so because I havent gotten round to installing photoshop. Its decent enough, but PS is definitely better; I'm not a big fan of the interface really.

[edit - oh]
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:08   #5
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I've been using it for the last 2 months or so because I havent gotten round to installing photoshop. Its decent enough, but PS is definitely better; I'm not a big fan of the interface really.
Uhm, did we forget to read the thread?
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:10   #6
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
I buy fireworks in November and let them off in september

no-one expects it

so the effect is more
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:10   #7
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
you should have named this gimmick

CAPTAIN UNRELATED

would have better than most, methinks.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:14   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
you should have named this gimmick

CAPTAIN UNRELATED

would have better than most, methinks.
I'm wasted on you people
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:22   #9
Mirai

Re: Fireworks Anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis

(ps: important safety tip. if a firework is about to go off very close to you, and you don't have time to get it away to a safe distance, squeeze it tightly between your hands or cup it to your chest. that way the shrapnel won't have a chance to accelerate to full speed before hitting your skin, and won't be able to do significant damage to you)
are you an idiot or something? Want me to wander over to rottten.com and find you pictures of people who did that?

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:32   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Netherlands:
Buy: 29/30/31 December
Light: 31 December - 10:00 till 1 Januari 02:00
Type: Light fireworks, no explosives (ie: nothing that can blow your hand away when you hold it)

Any other day/type is illegal

Although it would seem to me to have "new Mexico" type of fireworks (like Mirai mentioned) I'm kinda glad we have such strict rules about this. I don't want random tossers light anything near me at any random day. Now I can hide away in my dark room for a few hours without even noticing there is anything going on outside.
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:36   #11
Mirai

btw, the fireworks are class 2 when sold. we (my friends and I) have enough experience with explosives that we know what does what inside the shell, so we can unwrap them, put some gunpowder in it, and rewrap them with success.

just don't use metal tools. could be bad.

Unread 3 Mar 2003, 21:52   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
just don't use metal tools. could be bad.
Or plastic coffee-spoon-thingies...
Many many moons ago I learned in chemistry class that they can become static, which can be nasty.
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 00:17   #13
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
For proper effect, mix in a little uranium and tritium. Or perhaps a little positronium.

(Good luck getting anything to happen with the first option. Good luck not blowing yourself up with the second option.)
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 00:32   #14
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I think its disgraceful the way Parliament are trying to ban fireworks, just because a few guide dogs go mental.
Guy Fawkes day is the day we celebrate British(English) superiority over terrorists, an even made even more poignant in these uncertain times with terrorists hiding under every bush.
What would happen if the US tried to ban Independance Day? All hell would break loose, and rightly so. Unfortunatly this fireworks thing doesn't seem to be getting any publicity, mainly due to the whole Iraq thing, which is just a ruse to draw attention away from this flagrant breach of our right to fire explosives into the air.
Now I'm not usually one to complain about our rights being eroded (unless its somehow connected to Europe) but I choose to make a stand here.
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 02:55   #15
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Here, i think there are one all year shop, and the rest is just open before new years eve..fireworks aint that , its really just a waste of money! Why bother, when everybody else buys it anyway?
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote