User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 10 Oct 2005, 00:18   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
USB Computers.

I haven't read the linked-to article, but it's a really interesting idea.

I saw my sister's usb mp3 player today - she just sticks it into any computer and copies music across. Imagine that but with its own operating system that enables you to access all your personal data, and even browse the web / send emails - from anywhere. All you'd need is a usb slot, magically also connected to the internet somehow, and a screen. Infact, just invent decent cheap holographic displays and then all you need is a special net connected usb slot. It'd just be like connecting your electric shaver into the electric shaving point in a hotel room.

I declare this the future.
That's all.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 13:09   #2
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light
Re: USB Computers.

Wireless is the way, down with USB!;D
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 13:57   #3
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

You do realise that if you sit down in a hotel/bar/cafee/restaurant/etc. with a Wlan hotspot, you don't even have to plug the power in? You just turn it on and it'll work (if you've got a decent laptop, with a decent Wlan adaptor and it's properly setup). No plugs needed.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 21:55   #4
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

OK, OK. Small pen-like devices, powered by sunlight, connected to the internet via wireless, with holographic displays are the future. Happy now?

Actually, christ. I'm talking about futuristic mobile phones. I'm such a crunt.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 11:18   #5
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Wireless is the way, down with USB!;D
Wireless USB for the win then
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 11:22   #6
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
OK, OK. Small pen-like devices, powered by sunlight, connected to the internet via wireless, with holographic displays are the future. Happy now?

Actually, christ. I'm talking about futuristic mobile phones. I'm such a crunt.
powered by sunlight with a holographic display? Wouldn't the good ol' display in your sunglasses work better then? At least that way private information stays private

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 12:34   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
powered by sunlight with a holographic display? Wouldn't the good ol' display in your sunglasses work better then? At least that way private information stays private
not so, public holographic pr0n also for the win \o/
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 12:00   #8
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I haven't read the linked-to article, but it's a really interesting idea.

Imagine that but with its own operating system that enables you to access all your personal data, and even browse the web / send emails - from anywhere. All you'd need is a usb slot, magically also connected to the internet somehow, and a screen.
That's all.
Yeah thats quite a good idea!. Maybe we can add a CD/DVD burner to this "pen" PC.
Oh, and we'd need a keyboard as well to allow use to type emails. Hmm, might as well throw in a sound card as well so we can download and play music.

Oh, and I'd say at least a 14 inch screen so we can see webpages clearly.

Hang on a sec.... that's a laptop!
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 13:12   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You, right there. You're a dumbass.

Whilst the idea of USB computers is interesting, surely more compelling is a profile stored online. We're not too far away from having 24meg broadband widely available, so you could have some kind of online storage provided by your ISP where you would store your files, running applications from application servers run by the companies involed. For instance, Word running remotely at an MS site and you paying some kind of subscription or 'pay per use' fee.
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 14:45   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
Yeah thats quite a good idea!. Maybe we can add a CD/DVD burner to this "pen" PC.
Oh, and we'd need a keyboard as well to allow use to type emails. Hmm, might as well throw in a sound card as well so we can download and play music.

Oh, and I'd say at least a 14 inch screen so we can see webpages clearly.

Hang on a sec.... that's a laptop!
Why would you need a CD/DVD burner? You use those things to store information, but OH WAIT, that's what a flash drive is for. Only smaller and easier to use.
A sound card? How small are iPods? Get some headphones.
You wouldn't need a 14 inch screen. Some sort of sunglasses type headset thing would probably work. Keyboard :/ I don't know, some voice-activated thing.
Unread 13 Oct 2005, 07:39   #11
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

That Yahoo article is heavily exaggerated and it is quite amusing to read it and knowing the trouble inside the U3 forum.

Limited lifetime, limited bandwidth, high-costs per MB and possibly new security issues if you try to run your OS from a flash-memory stick will be some of your problems. Some kind of runtime environment on a thin-client (java desktop?) and your apps and data running remotely through a VPN would indeed make much more sense in many ways.

If you just start your own applications on your own data from a flash-drive, you will have a bunch of security problems as your software/data is running in a potentially hostile environment and in that case no fingerprint guarded encryption is going to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Why would you need a CD/DVD burner? You use those things to store information, but OH WAIT, that's what a flash drive is for. Only smaller and easier to use.
Yes and only whiners would mention the thousands of dollars you would need to replace a dozen DVDs with flash-memory
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2005, 07:40   #12
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Keyboard :/ I don't know, some voice-activated thing.
Laser projected keyboard
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 22:54   #13
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
Laser projected keyboard
nahh, that means we gotta sit down
id say brain implants and we all just think of what we want. Saw that somewhere, cant remember where though, paralysed person in a wheelchair looks at a computer screen and thinks what he wants and the mouse would move to icons like washroom, hungry, etc.
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 11:11   #14
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron7684
id say brain implants and we all just think of what we want. Saw that somewhere, cant remember where though.....
that problem would be solved with a brain implant.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 16:53   #15
REacz

REacz is infamous around these partsREacz is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron7684
id say brain implants and we all just think of what we want. Saw that somewhere, cant remember where though, paralysed person in a wheelchair looks at a computer screen and thinks what he wants and the mouse would move to icons like washroom, hungry, etc.
Johnny Mnemonic?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113481/

Hehe ftw. :P
REacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 23:33   #16
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
You, right there. You're a dumbass.

Whilst the idea of USB computers is interesting, surely more compelling is a profile stored online. We're not too far away from having 24meg broadband widely available, so you could have some kind of online storage provided by your ISP where you would store your files, running applications from application servers run by the companies involed. For instance, Word running remotely at an MS site and you paying some kind of subscription or 'pay per use' fee.
Yeah, Application Service Providers. They've been around for years, running off services such as Citrix Metaframe.

It's not my area of speciality, but from what I remember they took off for a while, the market was flooded but they've near enough disappeared now.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 09:32   #17
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

https://www.foldershare.com/info/abo...7e1211b0aaf43f looks like it could become interesting