User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Dec 2005, 21:24   #1
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts
Corsairs

All through the round and during havoc i have seen that corsair are useless...they got for frigs but get owned and hardly kill any ships... it seems like every other ship that targets frigs does more damage and owns a lot more...

In the future i hope to see corsair be more useful otherwise they are just like vsh....but ziks aint got time to build and waste res on ships that are shitty for attacks and def

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 21:50   #2
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corsairs

Its a bit late for a thread like this ain't it? :P

I think by now everyone knows that Corsairs aren't any good, and that what they might be good at (killing Zik FR) vsharraks do alot better. But i have to add that during the normal round i used my Corsairs quite often in combination with Vipers to defend alliance mates against Xan FR, and anyone sending pure FI fleets against Tzen is just stupid, unless they kill like all the attacker his ships to make him recall. Marauders in that a sense work alot better for Ziks, the only downside is that they can only be used in gal and on attack (but its havoc anyway.. so marauders ahoy \o/).

I am pretty sure that for next round the Tzen issue will be dealt with though, i guess we see what it turns out to be like :-)

Edit - you'll find that all races have ships that are useless for the alliance defence and for normal attack, the corsair is not really a exception to that
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 21:58   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Firstly; strategy forum?

The corsair is a pretty decent ship that has its uses (though the marauder is obviously more popular); it's not going to stop xand FR (which were obviously screwed up in the stats department this round), but I know I appreciated the scanners who built corsair for defence purposes.

On its own, it doesn't fare that much worse than the vsh. You need about 153k value in vsh to wipe out 90k value in tzen, whilst you need about 156k value in corsairs to wipe out 90k value in tzens. Not that much difference all told, though vsh will benefit from the extra flak provided by other xand FIs of course...

However, it has twice the armour per ship as the vsharrak, which means that when you combine vsharrak/corsair defence, due to the nature of how damage is split (by proportionate numbers of ships, rather than values), corsairs can often be far more effective than vsharraks alone. In cases where vsh would be entirely wiped out, such as here, you can lessen the damage you suffer and increase the damage suffered to the enemy with teh same value of defending ships by putting corsairs in, such as this example. In the majority of cases where you won't have the vsharraks to wipe out the enemy, corsairs have proven useful in defence purposes.

Overall, I found teh corsair useful as a ship for scanners to build that helped stop a lot of random roidloss. It's still no better than the vsh in terms of war use (where people will land if they cause more damage to you than you do to them), but it's not exactly useless IMO.

However, I think this argument will be pretty void, as xand FR were obviously so hideously overpowered this round that we shouldn't see the same problem next round, meaning the corsair will be in a completely different context!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 18:36   #4
KingAlan

KingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the rough

that's largely thanks to tzen initiative...
Round 13- complete n00b, 13:5:19
[Hidden Agenda member from round 14 on out]
Round 14: 11:7 MoD, final rank 1006
Round 15: 11:9:7, Galactic Commander, final rank 724
Round 16: 4:5:7, GC (The Colt 4-5's), final rank 380
Round 17: [forgot my final result]
Round 19: final rank 233
Round 20: 2:7:15, final rank 222
Round 23: bad end rank, crashed too many times
Round 24: am playing Zik

I provided the name for Round 16, "The End of an Era".
KingAlan is offline   Reply With Quote