User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jul 2003, 10:27   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"DTP" programs

What programs do professional magazine publishing houses etc use for thier DTP work?
Anyone who mentions Microsoft Publisher will be court martialed and shot at dawn.

Unread 23 Jul 2003, 12:13   #2
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Personally dont know. But - I used to use PageStream in the days when all I had was an Atari (Theres a Macintosh version as well which is why Im guessing it might be used by Pro Publishers):

http://www.grasshopperllc.com/
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2003, 12:54   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quark.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2003, 19:04   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I like Adobe InDesign, although that could be described as fairly light-weight, I'm not sure.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2003, 20:34   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Quark.

M.
What he said
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2003, 00:31   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I did some reading and it seems InDesign (version 2) is being touted as a "Quark killer" now that they've ironed out the bugs (especially seeing as they have and exclusive market on the Mac atm).

Therefore I shall fiddle with that (especially as I allready have Illustrator and PS7 which it integrates with).

Ta for the help.
Unread 25 Jul 2003, 15:37   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I have now played with the InDesign 2 30 day trial.
Conclusion: just what I was looking for.

First of all I'm familiar with the Adobe interface so that's one major bit of learning I don't have to do.
Then there's the way everything which is either impossible or incredibly frustrating in MS Publisher (such as any real sort of transparency or blending, and professional text effects (not that wordart crap)) is nice and straightforward. I especially like the way the transparency system works exactly like the one in photoshop - with an alpha blend level and then the various blend methods (standard, multiply, exclude, darken, etc etc) and that it can, so far as I can see, be applied to ANYTHING.
Also, it has some neat vector graphics tools which make doing simple but effective vector work no hassle at all.

Just for the hell of it I decided to try recreating a page out of some random magazine, and it really couldn't have been easier.

Unread 28 Jul 2003, 01:06   #8
Sally
Yo' Bitch

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Personally dont know. But - I used to use PageStream in the days when all I had was an Atari (Theres a Macintosh version as well which is why Im guessing it might be used by Pro Publishers):

http://www.grasshopperllc.com/
Nearly every big publisher uses Quark 4 running on Macs. PageStream isn't seen as a professional package - I got a copy free with a magazine. (It works fine for me though).

Some businesses are switching to InDesign, because the latest Quark doesn't import Quark 4 files (among other reasons). InDesign's still not entirely supported in the industry, but it's becoming more so.

Still, you can't go wrong with Quark 4 if you want to send something off to a printer's.

Sally