User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:49   #51
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Special Asteroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I think I love Bashar and Kloopy
DEATH2 was there discussing it too. Looks like you're gonna be throwing a lot of 'love' around.

I can't believe I just said that.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:51   #52
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I think I love Bashar and Kloopy
You are startting to worry me Kal.

The mental image is more than I can take.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:53   #53
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
I hope this clears up just what we were intending with this idea.
It does,. But franklly I like it either way as long as it doesn't impat balance. Any quirlks and side adventures that can add spice to the game are good - again as long as they are balanced, which this seems to be.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:01   #54
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

How about instead of 5%, it acts as say 20 roids of that type? (2/3 of a core research income) more bonus when planets are small, but less when big.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:09   #55
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

But then why would the big players want it? We want to have it so each roid is useful for all players. So that everyone has an equal "need" to go out and get it.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:27   #56
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I love this idea, and I think this is probably the best thread PD has had for months

This is just the kind of thing the game needs to spice things up a bit!
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:42   #57
teknik
Antagonist

teknik has a spectacular aura aboutteknik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloopy
But at the moment, there are 6 special roids:
  • Golden Metal Asteroid
    5% increase in metal asteroid mining per tick.
  • Golden Crystal Asteroid
    5% increase in crystal asteroid mining per tick.
  • Golden Eonium Asteroid
    5% increase in eonium asteroid mining per tick.
  • Golden Production Asteroid
    Ship production takes 1 tick less than normal.
  • Golden Construction Asteroid
    Building constructions takes 1 less tick.
  • Golden Research Asteroid
    Your researchers work 5% faster than usual.

Kloopy
could you add a +2% to metal/crystal/eonium roid too, for the Xans? call it the platinum roid or something
teknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:46   #58
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Nope, for now I'd like to see how the current 6 work.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 19:07   #59
SOL

SOL is on a distinguished road

why not reset the roids to a random location every 72 ticks? that way the bigger players cant keep em all round
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 19:39   #60
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

U just bought 6 credits all together to pay for others peeps I must be crazy.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 21:18   #61
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

shik is infamous around these partsshik is infamous around these parts

i would love the idea
but make 1 roid for every engineerung setup :-]
and dont add them before tick 200 or so. cuz until tick 200 the guys would just be bashed to death, and i think afte tick 200 its more fair... whatever.
and what about this screenshots.... they are broken right?
theres no +5% metal in there, if you read the "you currently miss out on" the guy would get same amount of each.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 21:32   #62
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have a free roid?

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 21:33   #63
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
DEATH2 was there discussing it too. Looks like you're gonna be throwing a lot of 'love' around.

I can't believe I just said that.
i hope this love aint gonna keep up otherwise its gonna get that 60s feeling round here.

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:08   #64
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

I like the idea of this...

But, I don't think it will switch hands THAT many times. After a few weeks, as soon as a very big planet has it, that's it pretty much. I mean, as soon as it lands in the #1 alliance's possession, then it pretty much isn't going to leave until they're seriously challenged or knocked down a space, then it'll quickly go to the new top alliance and that's that. So I think it'd probably settle down to which planet it will stay with pretty quickly..

As it isn't really worth wasting too many resources to target the planet with the roid, because with the roid only giving 5% gain... the kind of resources used to take it down wouldn't be worth it. So in other words, it'll always be in the possesion of the #1 alliance.

So it'll just benefit the big people... Do we really need to give them an extra advantage? Like last round the plantes that finished from 1st-5th only got roided, like, 10 times between them. If top-top planet like these had the roid early on... It isn't really going to go far.

(I know this doesn't make much sense, and I apoligise for it, but hopefully I managed to get what I was trying to say across.)

But I love the funness appeal of the idea. I'm just not convinced it would work out like that with everyone chasing ater it...
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:20   #65
Koyochi
underinformed peon

Koyochi is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to balance it so that it doesnt end up with the big players too fast... you could make it so that it gives 5% of the universal income average of each roidtype as bonus. For the players that are way ahead of others it wont be a real special thing to go after, as it would hardly help them so it would only be a nice little extra. But for most of the average planets of the universe it would still be good.

Big alliances might then even arrange raids in such a way that it will be their smaller members who get to attack the planet-with-special-roid, as it will help them more if they manage to get it. And they will still be reasonable targets for all the other planets. So it should move around a lot more then.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:21   #66
RobTD
Proud on Vengeance - HC

RobTD is an unknown quantity at this point

Great idea :-D

Adds some fun and competition, for individual players
RobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 00:37   #67
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

The idea is good. Would be fun if you could actually see the "history" of these roids and see where (what coords) they have been and for howlong.

on a sidenote i want to state that the whole story about asteroids being made the first fraction of a second is pure bullshit, but i dont think people care enough about that :/

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 00:40   #68
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Good idea
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 00:41   #69
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
The idea is good. Would be fun if you could actually see the "history" of these roids and see where (what coords) they have been and for howlong.
That is already the plan/coded.

Quote:
on a sidenote i want to state that the whole story about asteroids being made the first fraction of a second is pure bullshit, but i dont think people care enough about that :/
I didn't know you were there.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 00:48   #70
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

we were all there basher

the very elections in our atoms know that the first 300k years of the universe there were no atoms to build up asteroids :/
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 00:51   #71
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
we were all there basher

the very elections in our atoms know that the first 300k years of the universe there were no atoms to build up asteroids :/
Why do you think these roids are so special??!
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 00:52   #72
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

you made me lol :/

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 01:34   #73
Bazza[RB]

Bazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura about

I sort of like the idea but I would rather they were totally secret so no-one except the owner can tell who has them.

Played every round since r2. RB/Fury/Eclipse/Kralizec/MISTU/Angels/Urwins/Jenova/VisioN/audentes/xVx/Osiris/apprime/FaNG/Ultores/p3n/Mercenaries/ZT/ND
Bazza[RB] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 01:34   #74
Biggin
Village Idiot

Biggin is on a distinguished road

this is an excellent idea. will people keep it secret when they get one? will they brag and face possible heavy incoming? i especially LOVE th eidea of seeing the roid's history. how exciting

"LOOK AT THE BIG BRAIN ON KLOOPY"
Biggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 01:59   #75
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza[RB]
I sort of like the idea but I would rather they were totally secret so no-one except the owner can tell who has them.
They would have to be made visible by scans in this case..
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 02:35   #76
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I still worry that these roids will end up at the very top planets - where they will sit idle for much of the round and only providing an accelerator to their already exponetial growth.

There was an idea above that mentioned that the roid should start at the bottom of the food chain and, due to player and alliance attack restrictions, it would take some time to reach the top. However, if you had a fixed amount of resources, the value of the golden roid to the very top players would diminish with time, whilst its value to the rest of the playing public would still be high.

though, i have to admit, i like the idea in principle
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 03:04   #77
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
* Golden Production Asteroid
Ship production takes 1 tick less than normal.
So a zik player could potentially build ships in 3 ticks... eek...

I don't see why this idea is good AT ALL.

Reasons:

* I would rather not have a 'wonder roid' at all, whatever the bonus. It would be unfair of me to expect my alliance and galaxy to protect my 'wonder roid' from all the extra incomings that it would entail, especially from those who, quite honestly, do not understand the game and will launch a whole fleet at my planet in order to get it.

* Having a 'wonder roid' at a specific planet would result in more attacks being launched at the target. This means less attacks are focussed on the rest of the universe, and less roids are exchanged

Both of those examples are exaggerrated, I admit. However, you can understand that if the 'wonder roids' locations are made public, they will be chased. If they are not, then really what is the point, I could hide one for absolutely ages.
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 03:12   #78
Rabbagast
Yesterday don't mean sh**

Rabbagast will become famous soon enoughRabbagast will become famous soon enough

brilliant!

bring on another motivating factor for cheaters

by reintroducing Stealing we now get the happy cheat/multi/shipfarmers

Now we get the "Wonder Roid" asswell !!
Make it really interesting for people to start pyramid-farming again aswell!
- In order to reach those mega roids down on the ladder..

and WHO and HOW will these roids be planted.. distributed etc..
not to mention WHEN will they start to circulate.. and who on earth will be in the pateams loop in order to know when to start collecting them...

This smells of corruption along way..

Bring on R13 !!

The New Economic boost of Jolt.

finally some paying customers..
3 and 5 pack credits are wonderful for todays players

You guys need to get your heads out of your WoW asses and start thinking Planetarion.
The little space strategy game..

nay! to artifacts and gems.

bring on the good old fashioned starwars!
Round 2: 50:12 'MoA' Emperor Rabbagast of Milagro - [TE]
Round 3: 19:6:25 Emperor Rabbagast of Milagro - [TE]-FC, [Ooooomph!], [YHQ], [TRG], [ViruS]-DC, [c19a]
Round 4: 7:17:6 Fields of -=Disbelief=-, -= Salvage Garden =- - [ViruS]-HC, [TZ]
Round 5: 29:11:14 IceBucket of .-= Corona =-., .-= The BeerG0ds =-. - [ViruS] Executive, [WPO]-BC
Round 6: 25:16:1 Hugh M Hefner of -= The Playboy Mansion =-, -= The BeerG0ds =- WolfPack HC
Rabbagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 03:14   #79
Rabbagast

Rabbagast will become famous soon enoughRabbagast will become famous soon enough

AND imagine the noob who accidently stumbles over this Wonder Roid..
- suddenly seeing 500 fleets on his screen all screaming for that super duper roid..

He's gonna be like a freaked out Frodo..

oh and not to think of..
should the ring..erm I mean the Wonder Roid fall into the the hands of Darkness!!
- to be used for evil deeds.
Such as hyper-escalate Sauron's already rapidly mass production of evil ships.. to crush all hope of Planetarions noble men and elves.. and dwarfs(hello tot)
Round 3: 19:6:25 Emperor Rabbagast of Milagro - [TE]-FC, [Ooooomph!], [YHQ], [TRG], [ViruS]-DC, [c19a]
Round 4: 7:17:6 Fields of -=Disbelief=-, -= Salvage Garden =- - [ViruS]-HC, [TZ]
Round 5: 29:11:14 IceBucket of .-= Corona =-., .-= The BeerG0ds =-. - [ViruS] Executive, [WPO]-BC
Round 6: 25:16:1 Hugh M Hefner of -= The Playboy Mansion =-, -= The BeerG0ds =- WolfPack HC
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 03:20   #80
Rabbagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
So a zik player could potentially build ships in 3 ticks... eek...
HAHA yeah.. with 1st priority engineering on Production

I bet that's funny as shit when you're attacking somone..
SURPRISE

After having scanned the bastartd at eta 4 to see that he has not spent his resources and everything looks perfect to land without any losses.

Then suddenly...

BOoOOooOM!!

Suddenly your entire fleet is gone
and the hemoroid man is sitting there laughing at you!!

Last edited by Rabbagast; 24 Mar 2005 at 03:47.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 03:25   #81
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Except you can see if he has the Production roid before you launch...
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 03:38   #82
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Special Asteroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Except you can see if he has the Production roid before you launch...
Well theoretically he could cap it after you launched.

Now that would be funny!
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 04:33   #83
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Well theoretically he could cap it after you launched.

Now that would be funny!
Yes, a target capping it when you're ETA 3 would be hilarious
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 06:39   #84
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

Is this being planned for round 13? Sounds more like round 14 feature to me.

I like the idea but I'm worried about this not being tested at system level. Ok, you have coded and tested it but it hasn't properly been beta tested to see how it affects the whole game level play. Just my 2c.
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 09:34   #85
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hude
Is this being planned for round 13? Sounds more like round 14 feature to me.

I like the idea but I'm worried about this not being tested at system level. Ok, you have coded and tested it but it hasn't properly been beta tested to see how it affects the whole game level play. Just my 2c.
Remove the word 'noob' from your signature, sir. Top show, thats what I wanted to say, but I didn't know how to put it. Oh, except that I hate the idea for the reasons I gave
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 09:53   #86
Kloopy
-Back Again-

There is 1 Special Roid of each type. Just one planet having it at any one time. Is this really going to have a substantial effect on the game? If a big alliance grabs them, that's one planet that's boosted in their alliance. It'll make very little difference to the alliance in total. Even with 1ups 67 (or so) members all last round, a 5% resource boost is only a boost of 0.07% per member.

As for the problem with cheating. If the history of a roid was plainly visible on the Universe screen, not only would anything suspicious in it's past be visible to all players, but the admins could take them into account when multi hunting. They already have some rather amazing tools (curtesey of Phil^) and if he includes the Special Roid history, it'll just help cases against cheaters. So (plucking at straws perhaps) it could even help remove some cheating from the Universe.

Also, as with most things being tested in a Beta round, I don't think we could test Special Roids effectively. At increased tick rates, people don't have the same interests as a normal round. They know it's short so don't get attached to their planet. There isn't enough time to organise proper defence. And I predict that similarly people would be more interested in chasing after the Special Roids more so than would happen in a normal round.

Special Roid effect -is- small on an alliance level, but it does help individual planets, so I think it's worth going ahead with the idea. And if it's devestatingly ruining the gameplay, we can always go back on the decision, remove their advantages and just have them floating around with their history available on the Universe screen. But I'd buy a pint for the first person in this thread who thinks/thought that it'd unbalance the game.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 09:59   #87
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
There is 1 Special Roid of each type. Just one planet having it at any one time. Is this really going to have a substantial effect on the game? If a big alliance grabs them, that's one planet that's boosted in their alliance. It'll make very little difference to the alliance in total. Even with 1ups 67 (or so) members all last round, a 5% resource boost is only a boost of 0.07% per member.

As for the problem with cheating. If the history of a roid was plainly visible on the Universe screen, not only would anything suspicious in it's past be visible to all players, but the admins could take them into account when multi hunting. They already have some rather amazing tools (curtesey of Phil^) and if he includes the Special Roid history, it'll just help cases against cheaters. So (plucking at straws perhaps) it could even help remove some cheating from the Universe.

Also, as with most things being tested in a Beta round, I don't think we could test Special Roids effectively. At increased tick rates, people don't have the same interests as a normal round. They know it's short so don't get attached to their planet. There isn't enough time to organise proper defence. And I predict that similarly people would be more interested in chasing after the Special Roids more so than would happen in a normal round.

Special Roid effect -is- small on an alliance level, but it does help individual planets, so I think it's worth going ahead with the idea. And if it's devestatingly ruining the gameplay, we can always go back on the decision, remove their advantages and just have them floating around with their history available on the Universe screen. But I'd buy a pint for the first person in this thread who thinks/thought that it'd unbalance the game.
OMG HOW DARE YOU PUT SOMETHING NEW INTO THE GAME. ESPECIALLY SOMETHING WE COULDN"T SEE COMING A MILLION MILES OFF. NOW THE GAME WON"T BE ONE HUNDRED PERCENT PREDICTABLE AND OUR BRAINS WILL EXPLOPE. I HATE YOU AND I I"M GOING TO GO PLAY ****** INSTEAD BECAUSE NOTHING NEW EVER HAPPENS THERE AND IT"S ONE HUNDRED PERCENT PREDICTABLE SO THE BEST PERSON ALWAYS WINS.
Goatsemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:06   #88
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
But surely once it reaches a top alliance (really won't be very long, a week, two weeks?), then it won't be switching hands much at all, so there really won't be any funness after the first week. And because as you said it's small on the alliance level, it isn't worth alliances organising attacks just to take that roid. So as soon as it gets to a huge planet, thats' it. Fun over. And then it's just an annoyance for everyone else as a few big planets get some extra help...

So I think it would be fun for the first week or so, but then it would just settle down and help the really big planets. Then the fun would be ove.r
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:16   #89
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by god113
But surely once it reaches a top alliance (really won't be very long, a week, two weeks?), then it won't be switching hands much at all, so there really won't be any funness after the first week. And because as you said it's small on the alliance level, it isn't worth alliances organising attacks just to take that roid. So as soon as it gets to a huge planet, thats' it. Fun over. And then it's just an annoyance for everyone else as a few big planets get some extra help...

So I think it would be fun for the first week or so, but then it would just settle down and help the really big planets. Then the fun would be ove.r

I have said this from the start but no one is listening to me
they kinda ignore ppl saying it.

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:19   #90
Banned
Banned

Quote:
But surely once it reaches a top alliance (really won't be very long, a week, two weeks?), then it won't be switching hands much at all, so there really won't be any funness after the first week.
Or perhaps this will just motivate top alliances to attack eachother even more.

I'm not say it's so, but I don't think you're taking your considerations very far. I dunno if you've played at a top level, but there's a lot of pride and testosterone involved.

Quote:
And because as you said it's small on the alliance level, it isn't worth alliances organising attacks just to take that roid.
Ah, no. But when the alliance does hit the galaxy with the special roid, people will put extra consideration into attacking just that planet. I don't give much credence to the people who say that the special roid will be an incoming magnet, but I suspect that people will have a little extra motivation to book and/or land. Nothing more.

Quote:
So as soon as it gets to a huge planet, thats' it. Fun over. And then it's just an annoyance for everyone else as a few big planets get some extra help...
Top planets *will* lose roids.

Quote:
I hope you're proven wrong! It will be fun to see how it pans out either way. If it turns crap, it can be scrapped from round 14 in favor of something better. I still think the 5% roids should be 'spawn one roid a day' rather than 5%**

*After all, if it is an incoming magnet, why would anyone want it? Except for maybe a Zik I suppose

* Prevents it from increasing the gap etc.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:37   #91
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
Or perhaps this will just motivate top alliances to attack eachother even more.

I'm not say it's so, but I don't think you're taking your considerations very far. I dunno if you've played at a top level, but there's a lot of pride and testosterone involved.

Ah, no. But when the alliance does hit the galaxy with the special roid, people will put extra consideration into attacking just that planet. I don't give much credence to the people who say that the special roid will be an incoming magnet, but I suspect that people will have a little extra motivation to book and/or land. Nothing more.
Maybe you're right, and it would make their life considerably harder.. but still ,the fact is i'ts very hard to roid a top planet.

Quote:
Top planets *will* lose roids.
Yeah this is true, but for some it happens suprisingly few times. The top5 finish planets of last round only got roided 10 times between them in the entire round (and this counts from early weeks, where the majority of these times happened.) Maybe it would switch hands a few times, but it could go week and weeks without switching. And if the fun bit would be the switching, then there wouldn't be so much fun in that. And it'd more become just a thing for the top plantes to compete over.. (or top alliances at least). I like the idea of everyone in hte universe chasing after one roid for all of hte round, but I just can't see it happening.

[QUOTE-Banned]
I hope you're proven wrong! It will be fun to see how it pans out either way. If it turns crap, it can be scrapped from round 14 in favor of something better. I still think the 5% roids should be 'spawn one roid a day' rather than 5%**.[/quote]

I hope i'm proved wrong too. More fun features can only be a good thing. I'm just kind of concerned it would just be something for the very top alliances./plkayers, adn not bring much to ghe game apart from make the gap even bigger.

(Excuse typing, my computer's really messing up).
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:42   #92
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you're right, and it would make their life considerably harder.. but still ,the fact is i'ts very hard to roid a top planet.
If it's so hard, how come half my roids came from top10 planets last round?

Quote:
Yeah this is true, but for some it happens suprisingly few times. The top5 finish planets of last round only got roided 10 times between them in the entire round (and this counts from early weeks, where the majority of these times happened.)
Of course the planets that *end* top5 don't get roided much. That's how come they're there! But there are many top planets throughout a round.

Quote:
Maybe it would switch hands a few times, but it could go week and weeks without switching. And if the fun bit would be the switching, then there wouldn't be so much fun in that. And it'd more become just a thing for the top plantes to compete over.. (or top alliances at least). I like the idea of everyone in hte universe chasing after one roid for all of hte round, but I just can't see it happening.
I think you lack vision and overestimate 'top players'.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:47   #93
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
If it's so hard, how come half my roids came from top10 planets last round?

Of course the planets that *end* top5 don't get roided much. That's how come they're there! But there are many top planets throughout a round.

I think you lack vision and overestimate 'top players'.
Maybe you're right. And I think in my previous few posts I put too much emphasys on the top players when I should have said top alliance. And yeah, maybe i'm being pesimistic and they would switch a bit. But even so, it wouldn't be *that* much, and it would keep switching between the top alliances (and so between the top players mainly.)

Edit: oh, and I forgot to mention that it will be 1/4th less switching due to the fact that that's the chances of the capping the roid. At least make it garentied, so it would encourage it switching about more.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 10:52   #94
Kloopy
-Back Again-

A guaranteed Special Roid cap (if -any- roids are capped) is silly. Part of the fun will be not knowing for certain that you'll get it. And what's the point in attacking to retreive a Special Roid if you know that the first time you get roided you'll lose it?
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:00   #95
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you're right. And I think in my previous few posts I put too much emphasys on the top players when I should have said top alliance. And yeah, maybe i'm being pesimistic and they would switch a bit. But even so, it wouldn't be *that* much, and it would keep switching between the top alliances (and so between the top players mainly.).
Are top alliances magical? Members of top alliances never lose roids? And they don't lose roids to non-top alliances?

I'll grant this: they get roided more by eachother than others. But think of how cool it would be if some lower ranked* alliance launched a few concentrated waves in an attempt to capture a special roid. Then defended it aggressively. Top alliances are set in their ways, they're going to be playing for Nr1. Other alliances now have something more than just 'another rank' to play for.

*What's the opposite of a top alliance?
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:01   #96
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I have an idea to lower some of the potential problems:

If you have a golden roid you have the ability to teleport it away from your planet to a random planet - pass the hot potato so to speak (BUT you cannot do this while unyou have incoming hostile fleets at less than eta 5)

A prize of 1 credit is given to the people who held onto the roid for the longest so people would not want teleport it away, but could if needed

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:02   #97
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Another problem is - what if someone with the minimum number of roids has a golden roid - he can keep it for the whole round without being roided and hence win the prize.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:04   #98
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

hmm,

Maybe the ownership of such a roid would be a plague on your house?

I mean once seen that you have it, every lamer in the game would be coming to get it.

Also if you did have "it" or one of them, it would put an extreme strain on your alliance to protect it, would it be worth the hassle ?

I am not convinced it is a good idea.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:06   #99
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Who realisitically roids to get the Special Roid and then somehow ends up with 3 of each type to avoid the 25% cap? That's not going to happen.

As for teleporting, again it's making it complicated in my eye. I loved the original idea that Bashar outlined earlier, it's sound and simple and everyone has control over if they get it (they can choose not to attack). Bringing teleporting in it could end up on a planet who -really- doesn't want it. And it could also end up on a planet that -really- wants it and who it'd be hard to retrieve off of.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:08   #100
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I have an idea to lower some of the potential problems:

If you have a golden roid you have the ability to teleport it away from your planet to a random planet - pass the hot potato so to speak (BUT you cannot do this while unyou have incoming hostile fleets at less than eta 5)

A prize of 1 credit is given to the people who held onto the roid for the longest so people would not want teleport it away, but could if needed

I dont wanna free credit i wanna planetarion mug