User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Jan 2006, 01:38   #1
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Proud of myself and a small dilemma

Ok, this is a work based thread.

For those that don't know, I work in a Facilities Management company as a management trainee, I have 6 month placements in different parts of the business and currently i'm in the Home office in Croydon which is probably our most important current contract.
I'm due to move to Manchester at the end of Feb for my next placement.

Anyway, throughout my placement there have been a few staff issues. Contract Manager went off with stress for a month, project manager retired, financial admin guy left, technical supervisor in motorcycle accident etc etc. From all of this I have steadily taken on more and more responsibilites and generally coped with it perfectly fine.

Before the project manager left he was telling me how he didn't know how he coped before I joined the contract (I have no idea what the guy I replaced was doing all the time...). At the christmas do, the assistant manager (very drunkenly) was telling me how brilliant I was and how the client speaks very highly of me (but he was being a bit touchy feely so i put it down to drunkeness). Naturally with these kind of comments I feel quite valued, it's great to know that people appreciate the job you are doing.

A couple of days ago I got an email from the guy who was meant to be taking over from me saying he'd been told that he was going somewhere else for "contractual reasons". I spoke to the contract manager and he said that "there are things going on behind the scenes that I can't tell you about yet"
I took this to mean that they were reshuffling staff and had decided to merge what I do with another position.

Now today there was a contract meeting between ourselves and the client. Normally the project team (me and Didier (yes I work with a frenchy as well as live with 2)) go along to this meeting but this time the area manager and the operations director within the company were going as well so they told us that they would come get us if we were needed...
We realised this meant they were going to be talking about stuff we weren't to know about.

After the meeting I was approached by first the admin manager, then the area manager and finally the contract manager. All saying that the client thinks very highly of me, I was a "breathe of fresh air" they don't want to lose me from the contract, they want me to stay at least until the end of the financial year etc etc. Usually these meetings involve the client shouting at us a lot but this time they spent a good 5 minutes praising me. This has obviously made me feel pretty damn proud of myself. This was all said in front of one of the directors of the company which is pretty damn useful career wise.

Anyway, finally they start telling me that they've decided that because I've made the position so vital to the contract they are going to make it permanent. Obviously because I'm meant to be moving elsewhere they understand that I should be moving on. Do I think I could stay for another month to see things through to the new financial year...

Now I know it's "only another month" but I'm now in a bit of a dilemma. I told them they should speak to HR first as I'm due to start my next placement on March 1st. I'm pretty sure where I'm going won't be happy with me not going there for another month. It also means extending my rent payments here for another month, delaying looking for a flat up there... it just throws all plans into a bit of a mess... I'm not sure I want to stay. I'm sure I'm in the power position at the moment. They want me. But what do I do?

Speaking to my mum on the way home she asked what I would do if I got offered the job permanently now on £30k a year (or more likely £25k) and I didn't know. I don't know if I'd want to live down here permanently at the moment.

So I thought I'd share it with you guys, see what advice you can give. Any comments would be appreciated

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 01:49   #2
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Proud of myself and a small dilemma

If you were to live down here permanently, you'd need to have your gf over and start a family and new life.

That's my way if I moved to a completely new place.

EDIT: I'll add my other opinions about the other things a bit later..
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 01:57   #3
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

accept the compliment and stay numb nut.

otherwise you'll always question 'what if' of this opportunity.

to be frank, and i do adore you very much, the statistical chance of something like this happening again is too slight to warrant the time it would take to calculate.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:00   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

isnt it 2 months to the financial year end from end of feb ??
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:00   #5
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

April I heard....
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:09   #6
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Stay imo, this is a sure fire way to propell you from graduate to mangement.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:20   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It sounds like they're basicly offering you a job with no interview. This can only be a "good thing (tm)". If you're happy with the responsibilities you currently have (ie. you're not worried that you won't be able to cope etc) then in your position, I would accept a salaried position over the insecurity of a contract - especially as you seem to be enjoying yourself.

Whether you wish to continue living dahhhn saaarth is a consideration only you can answer.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:27   #8
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

staying is obviously the correct choice!
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 09:42   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
accept the compliment and stay numb nut.

otherwise you'll always question 'what if' of this opportunity.

to be frank, and i do adore you very much, the statistical chance of something like this happening again is too slight to warrant the time it would take to calculate.
but 'What if' I moved on to another part of the company?
Would I find something that I prefer doing in a place I'd rather live?

Part of this training thing is that I see different parts of the company. Get influence with people in different areas.

I'm not sure I'm ready to be in a permanent position. And the extra month will make things complicated...

I'm gonna wait to see what HR say...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 28 Jan 2006, 12:21   #10
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
isnt it 2 months to the financial year end from end of feb ??
From the end of Feb to start of April, I would say it's nearer 1 month.

If we're bigging ourselves up... I got the results back from my first set of Chartered Accountancy results back yesterday (the text was 40mins late though - :grumble: ) and I got 95% in one and 76% in the other - the highest in my office for both \o/
And I should hopefully be getting a bonus (min £500) for some work I did the other week.

Hmm Ste, I'm not sure I like posting things when I'm proud of myself, mainly because doing ok at work doesn't really make me proud pf myself...
But heh, well done
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2006, 12:46   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're on £30k for a starting salary? Not bad...

Or is it that the salary would be £30k?

Stay anyway - they can clear it up with HR etc.
Unread 28 Jan 2006, 15:33   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if you stay there will be trouble, if you go it will be double
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 10:13   #13
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

you really should stay for the extra month. tbh it doesnt sound like much of a problem (i know i barely know anything of your situation) you are staying with the same company and it sounds like one of the directors is impressed with you, so it doesnt really matter what the people in manchester think does it? the flat/moving thing doesnt sound like that big a problem either.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:44   #14
Ste
Bored

small update - my area manager has been told by HR from all sides that I can't stay for an extra month.

But they may want me back for a week in march...

Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:46   #15
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

stay for a couple of months, the recognition within the company will be worth it from a career point of view.

and get a bit of a pay off for it too, tell them you are loosing a flat rental deposit and need 2 months B&B costs etc