User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 26 Aug 2003, 11:19   #1
Darky

Darky is an unknown quantity at this point
ingame alliance thingie insecure?!?

i wonder if that ingame alliance thing is really secure or if itīs still buggy and our coords could get out some way.

What makes me wonder that, is what happened yesterday. Signup starts so i go and sign up for r10 and create the ingame alliance Wolfpack and get our members to apply to it. So i start adding those etc. After adding someone he accidently removed himself from the alliance again and tried to sign up again. But on his second apply he doesnīt come with his added alliance nick but with Caliban as alliance nick. So i havenīt found him on first sight and told him didnīt work, re- apply again. And he still comes with alliance nick Caliban. I noticed that as i searched for his coords. But since afaik you canīt change your alliance nick after you created your r10 account, at least i havenīt found that yet, i would like to know how that is possible?

Seeing that bug, i wonder if the ingame alliance is secure at all. i have no clue what caused the nick change, but if such things happen who can guarantee me that there arenīt any bigger bugs like accidently everyone can see our coords there etc?
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 12:01   #2
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
would be too easy to say everyone always knows all coords anyways?:P
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 12:03   #3
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
In early betas u were able to change your in-game alliance nick, seems as if that feature has been disabled tho. I also recall that after leaving an alliance u couldn't join one for 72 ticks, but maybe that has been changed also.

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 12:20   #4
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Maddix
In early betas u were able to change your in-game alliance nick, seems as if that feature has been disabled tho. I also recall that after leaving an alliance u couldn't join one for 72 ticks, but maybe that has been changed also.
I remember that 72 hours period too. You sure that not some other guy called Caliban decided to try and join wolfpack (a spy ?).

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 12:24   #5
Darky

ofc iīm sure, first he signed up with actual nick, then accidently left again and when he signed up again his alliance nick came up as Caliban and changed back again to his real nick after he re-applied for like 10 times. his coords and planet/ruler name been the same all the time tho, just this strange thing with his alliance nick happened.

and with suchs bugs i wonder ofc if members wonīt have accidently access to the full memberlist or other bugs that harm security a lot.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 15:24   #6
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I tinkered around with in in the beta, and as a HC, I couldn't even see my own member list without first giving myself arbiter access.

The default is 'none', and I wouldn't worry about that info suddenly becoming available to your members unless you get drunk and give them access accidentally

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 15:32   #7
Darky

iīm not that worried about the arbiter, he would still have to browse through all the gals to get the complete list. iīm more worried about the link to the members list, where you have all members with coords listed.

so if a member comes up with a wrong alliance nick already, why not also with the wrong access type and that alliance thingie gives him HC rights also heīs just a member. at least to me it seems itīs still buggy and so totally insecure.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:00   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Well again, the default is 'Recruit' with no Access whatsoever...it would have to screw up majorly to overwrite the default settings.

I can't guarantee that it won't **** up, but I'd say the chances are fairly unlikely.

As for the alliance nick, I'd guess that part was buggy because they removed the option to change alliance nick, which you could previously do.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:29   #9
Provider
Smurf Forever

Provider is an unknown quantity at this point
well the weirdest part in this story is that I did not apply to wolfpack myself yet. However this bug, incident was relayed to creators. We will see what comes from it.

-=Caliban [ND HC]=-

rnd 3: If I only could remember - GIA HC/TGS
rnd 4: [30:14:3] (smurfs) - Fury/TGS HC || rnd 5: [21:4:16] (gauls) - TGS HC / WPO
rnd 6: [1:2:4] (LotR) - WP HC || rnd 7: [22:8:9] - WP HC
rnd 8: [55:8:9] - WP HC || rnd 9: [11:10:8] - WP HC || rnd 9,5: [x:y:z] -
WP HC rnd 10,11,12 etc cant be assed anymore to write it down here.
rnd 35, 36. 37: ND

Proud to be a Wolf in [WolfPack]
Provider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 18:02   #10
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice
I seem to recall when I signed up for my ingame alliance, I could select what nick to use inside... but I dont know if it was only once, and wont happen next time I sign up for an alliance. Also, it was set to same nick as I had set when signing up for PaX.
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote