User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jul 2003, 12:58   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
The United Kingdom

Is it one country?
Or a collection of 4 seperate countries?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:00   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Depends on how you define a country.

Personally I would say it is one country.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:04   #3
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
as the name suggests, its a kingdom of 4 countries.

at least thats my take on it.

Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:09   #4
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
The united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland (co-incidently, the longest name of any country in the world ) is an amalgamation of great britain, which is in THEORY 3 countries, but has been ruled by the english for hundreds of years, and scotland and wales use british currency and language, but do have their own parliments. while northern ireland is officially i believe a colony of england, not an independant state.

it is the original super state
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:33   #5
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Scotland, Wales and England are seperate countries. Nobody knows what Northern Ireland is, nobody really wants them.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:35   #6
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Exclamation

england and scotland are countries, wales is a principality and northern ireland is a province.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:42   #7
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
wales is a principality
tell that to the Welsh
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:47   #8
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
im sure welsh people already know

it was in fact annexed by england, that is the reason they have an assembly rather than a parliament.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:49   #9
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Tzencath
co-incidently, the longest name of any country in the world
I think it is the 3rd longest name now, because some Island renamed itself and insisted on including the words "free peoples democratic" in the title while simultaneously being run by a dictator. I'll see if I can find it.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:54   #10
Tzencath

well, we're just gona have to invade and put a stop to that
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:55   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
well, we're just gona have to invade and put a stop to that
or add their name to ours.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:55   #12
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it is the original super state
Original != Best, though :-)

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:58   #13
plasmas_arms
Banned

plasmas_arms is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
or add their name to ours.

What a cunning plan!

Your real name isnt Baldrick by any chance?
plasmas_arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 13:59   #14
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

Exclamation

Quote:
I think it is the 3rd longest name now, because some Island renamed itself and insisted on including the words "free peoples democratic" in the title while simultaneously being run by a dictator. I'll see if I can find it.
well i have this old book which ha the top 10 countries with the longest names and the official names of Libya (56 letters) and Algeria (49 letters) both beat the UK (45 letters) but since those two are translated from a language that doesnt ue the roman alphabet, the method of translation could change the name length. so with this island (no idea which it is) the UK would be down to 4th at least.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:03   #15
Tzencath

you have to use the roman alphabet, otherwise it's like trying to drive a car with a small peice of toast, it makes no sense.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:12   #16
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

"but since those two are translated from a language that doesnt use the roman alphabet"

it is done using the roman alphabet.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:13   #17
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
4 Countries within a Country.

P.S. This is Tony Blair's website, so it may be a lie.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:14   #18
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough
The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, with England being the sovereign nation.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:16   #19
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Skragg
The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, with England being the sovereign nation.
Or not.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:18   #20
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Skragg
Brrrnnggg! Wrong.

Scotland and England are (in theory) equal partners.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:28   #21
Tzencath

Quote:
"but since those two are translated from a language that doesnt use the roman alphabet"

it is done using the roman alphabet.
but you therefor lose something in translation...
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:28   #22
plasmas_arms
Banned

plasmas_arms is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus

Its not a lie, it is based on factual information provided by rogue intelligence agencies out to discredit the goverment and any claims that it is a lie are sponsored by freedom hating commie pinko bastard BBC journalists .

plasmas_arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:28   #23
Tzencath

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Brrrnnggg! Wrong.

Scotland and England are (in theory) equal partners.

M.
in what universe was tha?
england is the sovereign nation of the UK, and the commonwealth.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:30   #24
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
No it's not.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:40   #25
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Well, the first king of Britain (or UK?) was King James VI of Scotland who became King James I of Britain (or UK?). When this happened Scotland and England became equal members of Britain (or UK?). You could even say that Scotland was superior since the King was a Scot.

Of course since then the Tudors have taken over so I don't know what happened then, if England became superior.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 14:46   #26
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

Exclamation

Quote:
but you therefor lose something in translation...
"the method of translation could change the name length"

do people actually read posts anymore?
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 16:05   #27
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future
Quote:

it was in fact annexed by england, that is the reason they have an assembly rather than a parliament.
Actually, as I remember it, Wales has an Assembly rather than a parliament because they voted Yes-No in their devolution referendum, whereas Scotland voted Yes-Yes (Yes to devolution and Yes to this new body having the power to initiate primary legislation eg. tax varying powers).
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 16:32   #28
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

It would depend entirely on who you ask, I would assume. A Scottish or Welsh Nationalist would possibly deny that there is either a country called The UK or that it has a national idenitity. A Northern Irish Unionist or an Englishman may argue the opposite.

I don't particularly care that much. I'm part of a state that works fairly well, and is free, democratic and generally just, and whose society has a lot of plus points too. That's about enough for me.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 16:50   #29
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by Nondescript Human
Actually, as I remember it, Wales has an Assembly rather than a parliament because they voted Yes-No in their devolution referendum, whereas Scotland voted Yes-Yes (Yes to devolution and Yes to this new body having the power to initiate primary legislation eg. tax varying powers).
scotland did get the chance to vote on a parliament and whether it should have tax raising powers, the welsh only got to vote on whether to have an assembly and didnt get the option of tax raising powers.

http://www.engender.org.uk/scotparl/...m97/wales.html
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 16:52   #30
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:

I note how it doesn't even try and justify the concept of "Countries within a country"

Which rather lets down it's argument that such a concept is rationaly viable.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:02   #31
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
I note how it doesn't even try and justify the concept of "Countries within a country"

Which rather lets down it's argument that such a concept is rationaly viable.
It's not so much an argument as a statement of fact.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:04   #32
Quetzovercoatl
master of disguise

Quetzovercoatl is a splendid one to beholdQuetzovercoatl is a splendid one to beholdQuetzovercoatl is a splendid one to beholdQuetzovercoatl is a splendid one to beholdQuetzovercoatl is a splendid one to beholdQuetzovercoatl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Well, the first king of Britain (or UK?) was King James VI of Scotland who became King James I of Britain (or UK?). When this happened Scotland and England became equal members of Britain (or UK?). You could even say that Scotland was superior since the King was a Scot.

Of course since then the Tudors have taken over so I don't know what happened then, if England became superior.
So the Tudors reign after the Stuarts now?

A parallel universe or a testament to the decline in educational standards?
Quetzovercoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:05   #33
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

Quote:
except for the 'fact' that four of the 'countries' arent countries at all.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:07   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
I thought fact had to be based on rational observation of reality. Whoops.

'Yes, they are all four countries within a country because it is teh fact' doesn't hold much sway with me, unfortunately. Certainly, their inability to explain such an apparent 'fact' will be puzzling to many members of the public, I'd assume, especially foreigners, of which both groups that website is intended to (presumably) serve.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:14   #35
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

Exclamation

i have found the most authoritative website to date to settle the discussion on whether wales is a country

clearly wales is little more than an english county "1536: An Act of Union effectively makes Wales a region of England."
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:18   #36
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
I thought fact had to be based on rational observation of reality. Whoops.
But this is the government we are talking about here.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:19   #37
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:

There was no 'Union' except in terms of crowns until 1707(?), when GB was born and one state came into being, which governed both countries. Up to 1800(?) King and Queens were termed 'King of Great Britain and Ireland', when The UK was born, and they became 'King/Queen of The United Kingdom of GB and Ireland.'

Ireland dropped out, of course, so now it's Northern Ireland instead of Ireland.

Oh, and Scotland had long before 1707 been a nigh-on vassal of England, and it's entry into Union was as a result of bribery and several other unscrupulous practises. Scotland was not exactly hard done by, though, at least, after Jacobitism had been killed off, and nowadays it is just as politically potent as England, if not more so.

Feel free to correct if more informed.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 16 Jul 2003 at 14:21.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:22   #38
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
i have found the most authoritative website to date to settle the discussion on whether wales is a country

clearly wales is little more than an english county "1536: An Act of Union effectively makes Wales a region of England."
Why the hell are people dredging up sources of authority as if they settle this whole thing?!?

The question as to whether Wales, etc are countries (Or, more accurately, nations - which I think is what people are really getting at here - is not something you can just settle based on the law or whatever. It is a pure value judgment and the answer will be different to many.)
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:24   #39
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

well if they meant nations they should have said nations, from how i read the first post the question was asking for the legal definition.

ps - dont knock my source of authority
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:25   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Ireland dropped out, of course, so now it's Northern Ireland instead of Ireland.
We're such bums :(
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:25   #41
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
the scots are second in losing battles only to the french.

light the blue touch paper and run nusselt. Run before the haggis eating surrender clowns catch you.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:28   #42
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Well, I don't like 'country' anyway, since the best political definition of it can probably only be 'a set area of land with it's own territorial soverignty and jurisdiction', which is obviously a pretty poor definition. And which probably rules in favour of only The UK being a 'country.'

I just use state, nation and nation-state, myself.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:37   #43
Proteus
Lord Denning

Well the official name of the Welsh Assembly is "The National Assembly for Wales", which suggests that the government thinks that Wales is a nation as well as a country.
Unread 15 Jul 2003, 17:40   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
There was no 'Union' except in terms of crowns until 1707(?), when GB was born and one state came into being, which governed both countries. Up to 1804(?) King and Queens were termed 'King of Great Britain and Ireland', when The UK was born, and they became 'King/Queen of The United Kingdom of GB and Ireland.'

Oh, and Scotland had long before 1707 been a nigh-on vassal of England, and it's entry into Union was as a result of bribery and several other unscrupulous practises. Scotland was not exactly hard done by, though, at least, after Jacobitism had been killed off, and nowadays it is just as politically potent as England, if not more so.

Feel free to correct if more informed.
I thought that Scotland entered into a union when their King Jimmy the whateverth happened to be next in line to the throne when Bess died in 1603.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2003, 00:10   #45
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
The United Kingdom is argueably a Nation State.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2003, 00:28   #46
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
england and scotland are countries, wales is a principality and northern ireland is a province.
Stop lying, liar.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2003, 00:32   #47
Atul
Xanadu

Atul is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

actually, we have the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha atm, who are German, so id say UK is a principality of Germany
Unread 16 Jul 2003, 01:01   #48
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Atul
actually, we have the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha atm, who are German, so id say UK is a principality of Germany
But Germany didn't exist then, so when Saxe Coburg Gotha came over to England to take the throne, they brought with them the title deeds to their part of what is now Germany.
Unread 16 Jul 2003, 12:57   #49
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
what about "the people's republic of China" which is their official name i believe, then of course we have the US of A ...and many many more...
Unread 16 Jul 2003, 13:20   #50
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
what about "the people's republic of China" which is their official name i believe, then of course we have the US of A ...and many many more...
The People's Republic of China
The United States of America
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

You decide which is longest.

Other long ones include:

The Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe
The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
The Democratic and Popular Republic of Algeria
The Federal Islamic Republic of the Comoros
The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

And my personal favourite:

The Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya