User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 07:57   #1
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
I.D. Cards (UK question)

Does anybody in the U.K. think that I.D. cards would be a good idea? I would add my own interpretation of how they can be used...They would have our citizenship certificate in them. They would have our DNA map on it. They would have our thumbprint and retinal map on them. Also you would have to swipe your i.d. card to use anything electronic alongside anything else...card payment (as money is on the way out), clocking into work etc that kind of thing....

Now is this too large a burden upon our civil rights or not? Remember you cant have freedom without law...both are paradoxes...

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:22   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If introduced, it would be a short amount of time before the police (or whomever) would be able to view your ID on demand. Not having your card on you might become suspicious activity in and of itself. I don't like the idea of being obligated to carry around something, especially since I have a special ability which allows me to lose things instantly.

And money (cash) isn't on the way out.

Also, why the **** would we need our DNA/Retinal map on the card? I can forsee some grand future application of this obviously, but right now strikes me as pointless. To make it even vaguely useful the government would need to have mandatory DNA/Retina scans done on every person in the country, and probably pass this information to various other agencies (even commercial ones) for various reasons.

I don't think the benefits would be that great either, would it? It's not going to stop crime, it might cut fraud by, say, 10% but I don't really care about fraud tbh.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:26   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
No, no, no, a thousand times no! ID cards are a bad idea If this discussion takes off I might even come back later and say why.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:31   #4
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I couldn't really care less
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:32   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I.D. Cards (UK question)

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
Does anybody in the U.K. think that I.D. cards would be a good idea? .
yes, but none of them have thought it through in any detail whatsoever.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:36   #6
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
im guessing it wud cost a fortune to get every1 scanned and thingied for one.

put the money into the failing health service instead.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:42   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
im guessing it wud cost a fortune to get every1 scanned and thingied for one.

put the money into the failing health service instead.
But the introduction of ID cards would completely eradicate 100% of all crime/terrorist attacks overnight, hence reducing the amount of people needing healthcare as a direct result of criminal activities, which would save money in the long run.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:45   #8
Ap0k
Spritely:

im completely failing to see the logic behind that...
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:48   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
im completely failing to see the logic behind that...
And the sarcasm...]
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:50   #10
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I have not studied the england case in any detail, but as a principle, i think its wrong and bad. It will not stop the serious crime or fraud, maybe only some off the petty crime, (like graffiti) but it opens up for a massive surveilance off the population, and england allready is bad on that point. (If my mind is correct, London is the most surveilanced city in Europe, yes?)
Also, being forced to carry something around is not good. If you lose it, can you get thrown in custody? If you forget it, can somebody misuse it? etc.

But as i said, i have not studied the england case, so all off the above might be just be ordinary bull****.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:57   #11
Ap0k
Spritely:

Quote:
And the sarcasm...]
clearly what with it being almost 9am (a time i havent seen in a few months at least. i forgot it even existed ) im still a lil slow on the uptake :\

forgive meh?

Quote:
petty crime, (like graffiti)
GRAFFITI IS NOT A CRIME.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:00   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
GRAFFITI IS NOT A CRIME.
I think legally, it often is...

Also, I think graffiti is one crime that would definitely be unaffected by ID cards. As I say, I can imagine fraud being reduced (if you needed to present such a card to cash a cheque say) but very little else. It's hardly going to stop armed robberies, is it?
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:03   #13
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
. It's hardly going to stop armed robberies, is it?
Firearms being outlawed prevents armed robbery.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:08   #14
Ap0k
Spritely:

GUNS DONT ROB SHOPS. PEOPLE DO.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:15   #15
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:

GRAFFITI IS NOT A CRIME.
Leagaly,it is, or, that depends on where you live.

Here in norway, its illigal as hell.

Backjumps are almost impossible, the trains never get out whit paint on, and the walls in are cleaned after about 2 days.
EDIT: Dante, what i meant is, that when you get busted for graffiti, you can easily lie yourself out off it, by claiming other names, different adresses etc, and then being locked up for 24 hours. After that, they need a court order, and they (95% off the time) dont get that for graffiti, so you go free! Whit those ID cards, that become much more difficult, i would belive.
PS! Was there talk about putting GPS system things into them?
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:29   #16
Ap0k
Spritely:

aaahh, the days of cops and graffiti...

remind meh to make a thread about that later

technically it is illegal yes, i still stand by the fact that it is a supressed art form. no one locks up ppl for sculpting nudes or ****ting in piles. its known as 'modern art'.

bah humbug.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:38   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
no one locks up ppl for sculpting nudes or ****ting in piles. its known as 'modern art'.
If they shat on someone else's wall they most certainly would be arrested.

Vandals belong in jail.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:39   #18
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
aaahh, the days of cops and graffiti...

remind meh to make a thread about that later

technically it is illegal yes, i still stand by the fact that it is a supressed art form. no one locks up ppl for sculpting nudes or ****ting in piles. its known as 'modern art'.

bah humbug.
The sweetness of youth.
I agree that is a supressed art form. But then again, "when they can't controll us, they call us evil".

(http://www.bxma.org/inprojects/ingraffiti/)
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:40   #19
Ap0k
Spritely:

im not going to go into the difference between 'vandalism' and 'graffiti'...
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:42   #20
Nodrog

Quote:
The only difference is the object on which its done, theres not really much to go into.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:42   #21
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Wise, since its essentially the same (destruction of other people's property).
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:47   #22
Ap0k
Spritely:

before i go to my lecture i will tak ethis moment in time to point out that not all graffiti is done illegally

*gone*

edit: CONTINUE TO FIGHT FOR TEH CAUSE SNURXEH \o/
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:47   #23
Snurx
Dirte

"vandalism
n : willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others
van·dal·ism
Willful or malicious destruction of public or private property."

If i take a rock, and throw it throught a window, that window is destroyed. If i take a magick markere, and write "nodrog is leet" on it, is it destroyed?
Also, there are very few graffiti-artist that think about it as destroying, so its not "willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others".

The wall, or the train, is not destroyed or broken by spraypaint. The color is changed, nothing more. Its still fully functional.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:48   #24
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
"vandalism
van·dal·ism

If i take a rock, and throw it throught a window, that window is destroyed. If i take a magick markere, and write "nodrog is leet" on it, is it destroyed?
Also, there are very few graffiti-artist that think about it as destroying, so its not "willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others".

The wall, or the train, is not destroyed or broken by spraypaint. The color is changed, nothing more. Its still fully functional.
And on the whole looks wank unless they're actually good.

And I don't personally think 'DAVVO IS A GRASS' scrawled across the side of the 8.45 to Preston is particularly fetching.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:49   #25
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
before i go to my lecture i will tak ethis moment in time to point out that not all graffiti is done illegally

*gone*
Your point:
not all graffity is done illegal
therefore graffiti cannot be illegal.

see the fallacy

(\o/)
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:51   #26
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
"vandalism
van·dal·ism

But you applied paint to something that is not yours. If I go to your house and paint the walls a godawful shade of pink, how would you call it?
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:57   #27
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Originally posted by ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN
But you applied paint to something that is not yours. If I go to your house and paint the walls a godawful shade of pink, how would you call it?
I would call it a ÐiSCo house!

The dudes who are really into graffiti, have a few rules, or codes. The most important (exept for "dont snitch") is that you shall not paint on private property, only buildings and trains that are owned by the publick or a company. If you went to my house and did that, you would do graffiti. But not "graffiti" in the way im talking about. Its in fact quite a big difference, but i will not go into that.

Everybody has a right to infulence the publick space, its not different from a big commerical, is it? It might be ugly, or even illigeal, but these kids are only trying to lighten up a otherwise gray enviroment.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:05   #28
Nodrog

Quote:
The most important (exept for "dont snitch") is that you shall not paint on private property, only buildings and trains that are owned by a company.
are they all stupid, or just most of them?
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:05   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Most graffiti is ****e and pointless defacing of property. However, I have sympathy for the "artists" who do it. Being creative and leaving your mark (no pun intended) on the world are two fundamental human urges. I'm sure if you think of every person you know, there will always be some creative project (of whatever kind). If I get the urge to be creative I'll go home and work on a web site, or try to start writing "A Grand Theory of Everything". My friends try to make movies, form bands, write computer games, etc.

Now, for various reasons, there are some whose outlet isn't making a C++ project, it's drawing/writing on walls/buildings or whatever. Aside from the comedy gold that the artists think they are providing, it's still the same urge as my flatmate whose making a low budget movie. Now, perhaps if their "skills" could be utilised, into something more useful and less destructive they wouldn't feel the need to do this. For example, some public spaces could be set aside for the youth of an area to paint on, or whatever. At the moment, the colours/designs on our train stations, libraries, etc aren't really up to the people despite them being public areas.

Of course, there will always be a few morons who write "Aiyash Brown gives big up ting" on the 468 Bus windows. The ****tards.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:06   #30
Ðiscorporation

Quote:

Everybody has a right to infulence the publick space, its not different from a big commerical, is it? It might be ugly, or even illigeal, but these kids are only trying to lighten up a otherwise gray enviroment.
Well, yes, it is different. The items in the public space are owned by someone, be it the government or a company that gets its income through commercial posters. When you spray paint on it (regardless if its pretty or not) without their permission, you essentially spray paint on someone else's property, which I regard as vandalism.

If they want to lighten up the environment they should ask the people, or company, to which the items belong, if they would mind if they'd cheer the lot up.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:08   #31
Nodrog

My outlet is carving my name into peoples stomach using a kitchen knife (not innocent people though, just politicians and businessmen). If I do it in really nice patterns can I get called an 'artist' as well and have my hobby compared to that of musicians and computer programmers?
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:10   #32
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
My outlet is carving my name into peoples stomach using a kitchen knife (not innocent people though, just politicians and businessmen). If I do it in really nice patterns can I get called an 'artist' as well and have my hobby compared to that of musicians and computer programmers?
I hear Bill Gates is the antichrist, so, yes =/
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:13   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
My outlet is carving my name into peoples stomach using a kitchen knife (not innocent people though, just politicians and businessmen).
No matter how much you try : Human Rights aren't the same as Property Rights.

I think the point that Snurx was trying to make is that in their infantile, juvenille way, these people reject the basis of ownership for public spaces.

If I paint the walls to my home, I am technically vandalising since I have not asked the owner for permission (I am a tenant). Clearly vandalism is a bit more than that, and the context/fair use needs to apply to a certain extent.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:16   #34
Ðiscorporation

Quote:

I think the point that Snurx was trying to make is that in their infantile, juvenille way, these people reject the basis of ownership for public spaces.

If I paint the walls to my home, I am technically vandalising since I have not asked the owner for permission (I am a tenant). Clearly vandalism is a bit more than that, and the context/fair use needs to apply to a certain extent.
The space is public. The items put down are not. They have been payed for by the government/city/railway people.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:22   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
The space is public. The items put down are not. They have been payed for by the government/city/railway people.
If you come and put your sofa in my house I'm not going to treat it as if it were your sofa in your house. I'm going to treat it like it was mine. Perhaps these people feel the same way about objects in public spaces. If I go an put a chair down near the bus stop (so people can sit down) while I would hope no-one would smash/steal it, I wouldn't equate (if they did) to them doing it to the chairs in my house.

I don't know, they might just reject the law for the sake of it. But simply getting outraged and saying they all belong in prison without questioning why they do it seems a bit counterproductive. I have never graffiti'd, and neither has any of my group of friends. So I gotta wonder why other people do. Perhaps they're just subhuman monsters, of course.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:24   #36
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Personnally I'm in favour of ID cards in principle, because I've got nothing to hide. However, I don't think the UK needs an ID card, as our driving lisences already carry a **** load of information. Just make having a driving lisence complusory.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:24   #37
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
You would then hurt a person. Do you bleed when somebody writes their "blaze" (or "tag" or "name" or whatever) on a wall? Are you hurt by it?

Quote:
Well, yes, it is different. The items in the public space are owned by someone, be it the government or a company that gets its income through commercial posters. When you spray paint on it (regardless if its pretty or not) without their permission, you essentially spray paint on someone else's property, which I regard as vandalism.

If they want to lighten up the environment they should ask the people, or company, to which the items belong, if they would mind if they'd cheer the lot up.
Well, i might have phrased myself better. I have not much sympathy for those who directly go over something else, (for example a poster) but the walls where there is nothing is in my opinion to paint, beacause they are so empty, so cold. Most people who paint on the posters/bulletins are so called "toys", people who have yet to understand what they are doing, and therefore do mistakes. Ofc some other goes over, but in every enviroment there are "black sheep". Or, at least most posters. Some posters, who for example are very sexist, is often gone over, just beacause very many writers are political, even thought they would not admit it had they been give a million.

The problem is, (at least in Norway) that you dont get premission. There is Zero Tolerance. (They use that term, "Nulltoleranse") No goverment funding to anything regarding graffiti, no legal walls anywhere, etc. (Thats in Oslo) So you can not do it legaly.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:26   #38
Nodrog

Quote:

Surely an idealogy that states "Only vandalise public places and not private property" is implicitly stating that all property should be privately owned? Taken to its logical extent, smashing up things like publically owned hospitals and schools is "ok", while doing the same to private schools and hospitals would be "wrong".

And yet the same people often claim to hate capitalism. How bizarre!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:26   #39
Idi

im all for id cards, aslong as 'they' dont use them to monitor everything we do or buy etc.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:27   #40
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
snip
If the 'artists' want to go buy a building, walls and all, and go paint it then fine by me, because they own it.

Public property doesn't mean that 'anyone' can go make it look 'pretty'.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:28   #41
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Surely an idealogy that states "Only vandalise public places and not private property" is implicitly stating that all property should be privately owned? Taken to its logical extent, smashing up things like publically run hospitals and schools is "ok", while doing the same to private schools and hospitals would be "wrong".
No, thats wrong.
By private property, "they" mean for example your house, or your car. Not MacDonald's, thats a company. I dont know how to formulate it good in english, so the joke's on me.

Oh, and very few would ever consider painting a school or a hospital. But the wall behind your local MacDonald is "free for all".
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:30   #42
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
No, thats wrong.
By private property, "they" mean for example your house, or your car. Not MacDonald's, thats a company. I dont know how to formulate it good in english, so the joke's on me.

Oh, and very few would ever consider painting a school or a hospital. But the wall behind your local MacDonald is "free for all".
Howso? What about a small business owner with one car dealership. That 'fair game'? Still a company.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:31   #43
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
If you come and put your sofa in my house I'm not going to treat it as if it were your sofa in your house. I'm going to treat it like it was mine. Perhaps these people feel the same way about objects in public spaces. If I go an put a chair down near the bus stop (so people can sit down) while I would hope no-one would smash/steal it, I wouldn't equate (if they did) to them doing it to the chairs in my house.

I don't know, they might just reject the law for the sake of it. But simply getting outraged and saying they all belong in prison without questioning why they do it seems a bit counterproductive. I have never graffiti'd, and neither has any of my group of friends. So I gotta wonder why other people do. Perhaps they're just subhuman monsters, of course.

Their reasons are clear. They don't see it as a crime and think they're doing the public a service by cheering up the place. I don't think any of them should be put in jail. They should, however, clean it up or pay for cleaning it up.

Some grafitti is quite nice, actually. But to spraypaint public places without the permission of the owners is still illegal.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:31   #44
Idi

i dislike mindless vandalism.

i wholly endorse willfull destruction of property however.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:33   #45
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
You would then hurt a person. Do you bleed when somebody writes their "blaze" (or "tag" or "name" or whatever) on a wall? Are you hurt by it?

Well, i might have phrased myself better. I have not much sympathy for those who directly go over something else, (for example a poster) but the walls where there is nothing is in my opinion to paint, beacause they are so empty, so cold. Most people who paint on the posters/bulletins are so called "toys", people who have yet to understand what they are doing, and therefore do mistakes. Ofc some other goes over, but in every enviroment there are "black sheep". Or, at least most posters. Some posters, who for example are very sexist, is often gone over, just beacause very many writers are political, even thought they would not admit it had they been give a million.

The problem is, (at least in Norway) that you dont get premission. There is Zero Tolerance. (They use that term, "Nulltoleranse") No goverment funding to anything regarding graffiti, no legal walls anywhere, etc. (Thats in Oslo) So you can not do it legaly.
But snurx, its still someone else's property =/
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:33   #46
Nodrog

Quote:
No, thats wrong.

What about the local paper shop or bakers?
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:33   #47
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
i dislike mindless vandalism.

i wholly endorse willfull destruction of property however.
Lo idi. Do you have a creditcard?
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:36   #48
Idi

Quote:
Lo idi. Do you have a creditcard?
i have a switch card.

and yes my bank log where i shop
and yes the shop probably logs what i buy

but they do not give that information to the government or collaborate at all

thats the difference!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:36   #49
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Taken to its logical extent, smashing up things like publically owned hospitals and schools is "ok", while doing the same to private schools and hospitals would be "wrong".
Public in this context means two different things. One, it could mean owned by the state or two it could mean for use by the public. Therefore, if the government bans smoking in public, they generally include pubs, cafes, etc, etc depsite the fact these places aren't owned by the state.

There's also an argument that places like McDonalds (although generally a franchise) are owned by a corporation, not an individual. Despite our legal system giving corporations individual rights, they aren't, and so some distrinction could be made between "private" (individual) and "corporate" (group owned), although this strikes me as dubious, since you've got partnerships, private limited companies, publically limited companies, etc, etc. I suspect any graffiti artist would simply carry out a basic guess (as we all do when considering morality) as to whether Company X is "big enough" to be disrespected.

Anyway : smashing up is different from painting. The legal system (for all it's faults) is not so rigid that it considers smashing a wall with a hammer to be the same as someone drawing a flower pattern on it. The motives of the individuals at question, damage done, affects on business/life, attitudes of "victim" and local community, etc, etc would all come up if ever brought before a court.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 11:36   #50
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Howso? What about a small business owner with one car dealership. That 'fair game'? Still a company.
If I were a artist, i would think twice about it. Some would, some would not. Thats more a personal choice.

Quote:
Their reasons are clear. They don't see it as a crime and think they're doing the public a service by cheering up the place. I don't think any of them should be put in jail. They should, however, clean it up or pay for cleaning it up.

Some grafitti is quite nice, actually. But to spraypaint public places without the permission of the owners is still illegal.
That's true, but should it be like that? Did you know that over 50% off all the comerical boards (at least in Oslo, i cant find the source, but its either VG or Dagbladet, and you would probably not undestand that anyways.) are illigal? They dont have premission to set them up, but they dont get thrown in jail, beat up by cops, or get fines that makes them ****ed for the rest off their life's. Graffiti is a weird, up-in-your face type rebelion, its kinda hard to explain it. I agree, it should be illigal, but not in the way it is today.