User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:16   #1
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough
'I said Concorde would be an expensive mistake. I was right'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3199974.stm

I don't really see how she was right at all.. if BA would let others run it, it would still be going today.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:20   #2
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: 'I said Concorde would be an expensive mistake. I was right'

OMG IT ONLY LASTED THIRTY YEARS, WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP EH?

I drove up and watched Concorde take off today, as it'll be the last time I see it fly out of Heathrow.

I'll miss the beautiful speedbird.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:24   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I suppose it was the fact people were always willing to fly on it that made it a mistake. Or the fame attached to it. Or the profit airline companies made on it. Or the fact it survived thirty years in service. Or the fact it's safety record is actually the best of any commercial airliner ever made.

Hold on, what?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:30   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

It's planely a disaster.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:43   #5
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
It's planely a disaster.
plane on words
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:45   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Or the profit airline companies made on it.
Was the private profit before or after the public subsidy has been accounted for?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:45   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i dont know the figures, but did it ever make profit (if you consider the development costs aswell) ?
if it made in fact profits, why was it only used to new york and back and not to, lets say, sydney which is quite far away?
after what ive read in some article a while ago it was too small and because of that too expensive.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:47   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Was the private profit before or after the public subsidy has been accounted for?

I'm not substantiating my arguments.

Probably after

Good thing those rich businessmen were able to get across the Atlantic quicker thanks to your taxes. It could have gone on something silly like health or education
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:48   #9
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

SHE WAS A COLUMNIST FOR THE ECONOMIST - REMEMBER, COMPANY PROFIT IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:49   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
i dont know the figures, but did it ever make profit (if you consider the development costs aswell) ?
if it made in fact profits, why was it only used to new york and back and not to, lets say, sydney which is quite far away?
after what ive read in some article a while ago it was too small and because of that too expensive.

When it flew over poor african and asian countries they stole the profits. Hence it was only used over the empty atlantic and the rich US and UK
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:50   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Good thing those rich businessmen were able to get across the Atlantic quicker thanks to your taxes. It could have gone on something silly like health or education
counterpoint: Considering the current state of the airline industry, what shape would they be in now without the money brought to all facets by concorde through the glamour it attached to air travel - one more school for no one to attend in the middle of crapsville, or air travel still being affordable for more than the top 1%?

[/Devil's Advocate]
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:52   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
counterpoint: Considering the current state of the airline industry, what shape would they be in now without the money brought to all facets by concorde through the glamour it attached to air travel - one more school for no one to attend in the middle of crapsville, or air travel still being affordable for more than the top 1%?

[/Devil's Advocate]

I was serious.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:53   #13
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
When it flew over poor african and asian countries they stole the profits. Hence it was only used over the empty atlantic and the rich US and UK
they could have cut off far more hours by flying to asia/australia. well, maybe that was out of range.
the whole thing looks pretty much like a prestige object to me (just like that stupid magnetic train we wasted billions of tax money on and then never used because it was too damn expensive)
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:54   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
they could have cut off far more hours by flying to asia/australia. well, maybe that was out of range.
the whole thing looks pretty much like a prestige object to me (just like that stupid magnetic train we wasted billions of tax money on and then never used because it was too damn expensive)

Why would anyone build a magnetic train? Every time it'd go through town it'd be attacked by pots and pans
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:55   #15
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
haha germany have no concorde
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:55   #16
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

*Gasp* There are such things as White Elephant projects?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:58   #17
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

racist
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:00   #18
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
*Gasp* There are such things as White Elephant projects?
THEY HAVE STRIPES
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:00   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
racist

Where? Me and my trust black man-servant Watumabebwe will get him!

Okay, getting a bit over the top now
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:02   #20
Bunga
I'm not a poet

How am I racist?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:04   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
How am I racist?

Elephants are people too.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:08   #22
Bunga
I'm not a poet

No they aren't. Per defenition.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:10   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
racist
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 02:22   #24
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3199974.stm

I don't really see how she was right at all.. if BA would let others run it, it would still be going today.
Doubt it, it only survived cause the rich thought it was classy. Now that the fad has worn off its stopping cause of maitence cost and lack of passangers.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 08:11   #25
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why would anyone build a magnetic train? Every time it'd go through town it'd be attacked by pots and pans
It's a pykies dream !

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 13:07   #26
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

In Jeremy Clarkson's article in today's Sunday Times, he says the Concorde made BA £20 a year until the Paris crash.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 13:17   #27
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Profit is profit.

but Clarkson is a **** so I wouldn't listen to him anyway. Besides, there is a lot of image that comes with having the only operational plane like Concorde.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 13:41   #28
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Quote:
Quote:
racist
Specieist maybe.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 14:01   #29
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
but Clarkson is a ****
Dont diss JC, he is ace!
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 14:03   #30
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Dont diss JC, he is ace!

loffle
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 15:31   #31
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If u are refering to New York city, and not the state as a whole, i can say it did land in Rochster New York once. hehehe (except the runway was so short, that it could not lift off fully fuled and had to make a stop at NYC for full fueling.... how i love Rochester International Airport)
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 18:45   #32
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I suppose it was the fact people were always willing to fly on it that made it a mistake. Or the fame attached to it. Or the profit airline companies made on it. Or the fact it survived thirty years in service. Or the fact it's safety record is actually the best of any commercial airliner ever made.

Hold on, what?
so she was wrong and shes really ugly?