User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:01   #1
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Religion

We seem to get "What political ideology" threads/sub-threads every few days or so, but no-one seems to discuss religion that often. I suspect because it's uncontroversial - i.e. the vast majority are unreligious, but just to confirm.

Is anyone religious?

To make it slightly more precise :

1. Do you believe in God? (a divine power who created the universe)
2. Do you believe in God (b)? (a divine power who created the universe and intervenes in human lives (in whatever fashion)
3. Do you believe in some form of afterlife?
4. What would you describe your beliefs on religion? (Atheist/Agnostic/Christian/Muslim/Hindu, etc)

To answer the questions for myself 1) no, 2) no, 3) no, 4) atheist.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 24 Jan 2004 at 16:38.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:03   #2
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Religion

1) no
2) no
3) no
4) atheist
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:04   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

1) maybe
1) maybe
1) maybe
1) Agnostic
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:16   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I avoid definately answering any of those questions because i feel a conflict between my heart and my head in answering them honestly.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:24   #5
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) atheist

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:27   #6
Zharkov
Twang Twang

Zharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
1) maybe
1) maybe
1) maybe
1) Agnostic
im sitting on the fence
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:29   #7
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) atheist
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:30   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Religion

1) no 2) no 3) no 4) atheist
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:31   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zharkov
im sitting on the fence
This isn't a troll, but out of interest, are you on the fence on the existence of Thor, Zeus or "the Force"?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:31   #10
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
I avoid definately answering any of those questions because i feel a conflict between my heart and my head in answering them honestly.
you could have just quoted Ragnarak
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:37   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. Maybe
4. Christian

:|
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:39   #12
Zharkov
Twang Twang

Zharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
This isn't a troll, but out of interest, are you on the fence on the existence of Thor, Zeus or "the Force"?
id say so, yes.

i dont discriminate when it come to indecision
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:41   #13
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) atheist
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:42   #14
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

1 No
2 No
3 Yes
4 Don't Knwo What They Mean
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 16:56   #15
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Roman Catholic
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:01   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1) Maybe, empirically no.
2) Maybe, empirically no.
3) Maybe, empirically no.
4) Agnostic, empirically atheist.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:02   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Roman Catholic
You dirty boy.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:04   #18
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Question 1 is incorrect, as you define god as a "divine power who...". The term divine already means you're assuming the existence of deities, and the term who implicates that god is an actual person. There was undoubtedly some power which caused the creation of the universe, and one might call that god.

Question 2 repeats question 1, as you've already asked whether one believes in a divine power who created the universe, which could be answered with yes, provided the definition is amended. The second part of the question could also be answered with a yes if one views god as equivalent to 'nature', as an earthquake or volcanic eruption would definitely be interfering with human life, yet not be the result of a rational decision by a sentient being.

3. No
4. Somewhere in between Agnostic and Atheist.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:06   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Question 1 is incorrect, as you define god as a "divine power who...". The term divine already means you're assuming the existence of deities, and the term who implicates that god is an actual person. There was undoubtedly some power which caused the creation of the universe, and one might call that god.

Question 2 repeats question 1, as you've already asked whether one believes in a divine power who created the universe, which could be answered with yes, provided the definition is amended. The second part of the question could also be answered with a yes if one views god as equivalent to 'nature', as an earthquake or volcanic eruption would definitely be interfering with human life, yet not be the result of a rational decision by a sentient being.

3. No
4. Atheist.
So what you're saying is that there's personal interpretation on the question of religion, and the definition of god?

WELL DONE SIR
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:11   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
So what you're saying is that there's personal interpretation on the question of religion, and the definition of god?
I was merely pointing out that the questions were a bit flawed and as such I felt answering them with a simple 'yes' or 'no' wouldn't be accurate of my views.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:34   #21
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
That's because he is asking specifically about "deities". (I believe)
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 18:08   #22
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

The thread title and main question seem to indicate that Dante has an interest in what people's religious beliefs are, which can be much broader than whether they believe in a deity or not.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 18:13   #23
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

a) Many, not just one
b) Yes, but what one reply's depends on what you ask for
b) Yeah
d) Dunno, none really, guess my view would come under Pagan(?) though...
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 18:15   #24
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

more like barbarian am i rite
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 18:38   #25
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

1)no
2)no
3)yes
4)agnostic
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 18:43   #26
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

the thread ignores that fact that anyone with sense and beliefs stays away because you just get abuse (and you do, i've seen it happen on here regularly) for having them.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 19:21   #27
Shr00m

Shr00m is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Roman Catholic
thats unfortunate

If there is a god I hope I rot in hell
Shr00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 19:44   #28
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shr00m
thats unfortunate
I don't see how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shr00m
If there is a god I hope I rot in hell
Convenient, that...
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 19:55   #29
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

maybe maybe maybe agnostic

its a nice view from the fence.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 19:58   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes
4) Rationally agnostic
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 20:15   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
im not commiting to anything incase he's reading this :/
Don't worry, I don't hold grudges
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 20:19   #32
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Flavius is my alternate personality :)
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 20:21   #33
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

my comiserations.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 20:27   #34
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) atheist
=(
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 20:35   #35
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

why the sad
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 20:48   #36
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Nope
2) Nope
3) Afterlife seems like an odd word since if it does exist it's just a continuation of life. It would be interesting to know why human consciousness is the way it is though. Anyway, no to the question.
4) Athiest
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 21:23   #37
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

1) Depending on how you define it, either definatly or definatly not.
2) No.
3) Not really.
4) Agnostic.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 22:06   #38
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1) 90% (for ungiven values of 'divine power' and 'create'; would drop significantly if you were to substitute in a particular for either term. Would pantheism be classed as a 'divine power' 'creating' the 'universe' for instance? What about taoism?).

2) 75% (although could go down to 10-20% depending on how you define 'interfere. A taoist believes the tao 'interferes' in his life (excusing the horrible English) when he is meditating, which I would class as 'a divine power intervening'. I would give 'interfere' in this context a far higher liklihood of being true than 'interfere' in the context of "a jealous God' smiting down unbelievers" or whatever)

3) 60% (assuming 'afterlife' includes things like reincarnation in all its forms and not just the Christian heaven)

4) dont know

edit: tried to clarify the ambiguous English almost always inherrant to these questions.

Last edited by Nodrog; 24 Jan 2004 at 22:19.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 22:40   #39
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
edit: tried to clarify the ambiguous English almost always inherrant to these questions.
'inherent'

I'll now be off to buy a "I corrected Nodrog's spelling and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" garment.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 22:45   #40
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

no
no
no
atheist
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 22:53   #41
Deciduous

Heh, I like how Nod puts an exact figure to his beliefs.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:01   #42
Deciduous

90 is an exact figure however much you want to argue about it, as he never said anything to the effect of 'around 90'.
Can you honestly distinguish between, say, 70% and 75% how much you believe in something?
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:03   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I don't see how.
I'd say because catholicism is inconsistent, but I doubt that's what he's referring to.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:07   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Exact figures aren't rounded to the closest '5 or '0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
90 is an exact figure however much you want to argue about it, as he never said anything to the effect of 'around 90'.
Can you honestly distinguish between, say, 70% and 75% how much you believe in something?
90 isn't necessarily an exact figure, given it's possible that he's dealing in 5's, or at the very least integers. However, it doesn't mean that he makes any more sense.

Is it 90% by mass, or by volume, I wonder.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:10   #45
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
I dont think it makes sense to say you 'do' or 'dont' believe in something in situations such as this where the objective evidence is so scarce in either direction. The %s relate to how likely I think that something is to be true - obviously this isnt an exact science, as subjective probability is by its nature subjective. I admit that my views on how likely something is to be true doesnt make much sense outside of my wider belief context due to relativity (since "I think X is more likely than Y" makes more sense than "X is x% likely to be true"), but this thread was about "what do you think about religion", not "what does Nodrog think about the world".

Anyway, how can you rate a computer game out of a 100? Does it make sense to say one game "is 94% good" while another "is only 91% good"? Individual ratings within a rating system only make sense relative to each other, not objectively.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:16   #46
Deciduous

Giving a game a score of 94% makes no sense, and is at best a general idea of what only one person (unless someone contributed to the review) thinks about it. You're better off reading the review, downloading the demo and deciding for yourself.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:17   #47
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

no/no/no/atheist

I adopt this position for reasons of lack of positive evidence in favour of the propositions given. I am not aware of either evidence or a priori arguments of value against some deity or other existing (though I am not sure such evidence or arguments are possible).

i really would like to know why Nod says what he does.

EDIT: downloading a demo of god would certainly enliven this debate.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:20   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Anyway, how can you rate a computer game out of a 100? Does it make sense to say one game "is 94% good" while another "is only 91% good"? Individual ratings within a rating system only make sense relative to each other, not objectively.
You can't, and given that the judging of computer games isn't objective anyway...
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:20   #49
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I dont think it makes sense to say you 'do' or 'dont' believe in something in situations such as this where the objective evidence is so scarce in either direction.
I'm not sure the proposition "there exists an entity X" is one for which there can be evidence against.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 23:22   #50
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_frog
i really would like to know why Nod says what he does.
I dont believe that the 2 dice I've just rolled but not yet looked at both display '6', and I also dont believe that you have 4 arms. However, I think the first scenario has a far likelier chance of being true than the second. A simple 'yes' or 'no in response to the question "Do you believe X" is a shallow answer, because it leaves out just how confident you are in that belief (especially when the question deals with something as vague and ambiguous as the 'existence' of 'God').