User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:37   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Bookworms R us

I've got a choice of many many books to read. The choice is as follows:

Joseph Heller's Catch 22
Terry Pratchett's Night Watch
Mario Puzo's The Godfather
George Orwell's 1984

So, of all these books, which one should I read first?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:38   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Bookworms R us

First Puzo.

Puzo always wins

I am at the moment reading Donna Tartt

What a tart.
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:40   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1984 is a must, but is kind of depressing.

I'd read Night Watch first if I hadn't already as it's a brilliant book.

Then read 1984.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:40   #4
Zharkov
Twang Twang

Zharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud of

out of those books I've only read catch 22 and 1984.

I'd say catch 22 is the better read so I would go for that.
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:41   #5
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

**** you all

repugnant little ****ers

Puzo
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:42   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I go for The Godfather.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:43   #7
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

go for nightwatch

Vimes bare naked...
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:43   #8
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

I prefer non-fiction, Currently reading the Second Edition of Cults.

Psychology books > supposedly 'intellectual' debate on GD.

p.s. Go for 1984 seeing as it has the closest relevancy to certain aspects of real life atm.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:47   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Psychology books > supposedly 'intellectual' debate on GD.
Since we don't really discuss psychology here, that's a bit of a strange comparison to make. Besides, one would hope books (written in months or years) are slightly more researched than off-the-cuff forum posts written in minutes or seconds.

Most of the debates here are either political or ethical.
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 13:57   #10
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Since we don't really discuss psychology here, that's a bit of a strange comparison to make. Besides, one would hope books (written in months or years) are slightly more researched than off-the-cuff forum posts written in minutes or seconds.

Most of the debates here are either political or ethical.
I would say Sex and Pedophila are psychological and have made up most of the serious debating for the last few days. As is defining the state of child an adult(btw read Transactional Analysis in Psyhcotherapy by Eric Berne M.D. for some really good thought provoking material on when the mind is no longer a child and when it is an adult).

That aside, I would prefer 1984 out of those books cause it can be related to a lot of things going on in rl, from entertainment to politics in some fashions.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 14:11   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I would say Sex and Pedophila are psychological and have made up most of the serious debating for the last few days.
My apologies, my original statement was over-the-top. Of course we do discuss psychological issues (as almost everything can be related to the psychology). Merely the method we do is not psychological in nature - more ethical, as I suggest.

I shall have a look for the piece you mentioned.

p.s. I prefer non-fiction too. Fiction is easier to read, but I can't help but think I'm wasting my time since I could be reading something more serious.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 01:07   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

mmm.. I think I might start with 1984, since I'm all pretentious-like and I want to tell people I've read the classics. Then maybe some Night Watch to lighten things up, also it's been 6 years since I last read a Discworld novel, I want to see if they're still funny.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 01:24   #13
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

I use movies for non fiction. Currently im reading antony beevor's stalingrad.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 03:27   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
p.s. I prefer non-fiction too. Fiction is easier to read, but I can't help but think I'm wasting my time since I could be reading something more serious.
I like both; most good fiction is serious anyway, and its often easier to show people something than to explain it.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 04:01   #15
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Puzo

but do not read anything after his Godfather trilogy. It becomes very forumulaic and repetitive. Puzo did not have a lot of imagination outside of central mafia themes.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 04:11   #16
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thats why I use movies. 1/20 of the time, 2/5 of the fun. It is worthy.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 04:27   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1984 is pretty cool. Dystopian societies are always far more interesting than perfect ones. The greatest compliment I can pay to Puzo is that the film barely did his work justice.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 10:42   #18
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice

I'd go with chronological order (published date, not setting). I'm linear like that.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 20:47   #19
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only one I've read actually is Catch 22, but that was a great book.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 22:10   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
mmm.. I think I might start with 1984, since I'm all pretentious-like and I want to tell people I've read the classics. Then maybe some Night Watch to lighten things up, also it's been 6 years since I last read a Discworld novel, I want to see if they're still funny.
How the hell do you consider 1984 more of a classic than Catch 22 or The Godfather?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 22:19   #21
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
Puzo

but do not read anything after his Godfather trilogy. It becomes very forumulaic and repetitive. Puzo did not have a lot of imagination outside of central mafia themes.
He wrote the entire trilogy? I assumed the two sequels didn't have books. I might read those then if I like the first one.
Though II an III are pretty samey too. Bad guys turn up, Michael gets pissed off, Michael kills them all. Rinse & repeat for three movies.
Plus III is a really bad film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
How the hell do you consider 1984 more of a classic than Catch 22 or The Godfather?
Orwell rules all!
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 22:23   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
1984 has probably influenced English culture (certainly political culture) more than most books. Even if you don't like the book (and I don't particularly like reading it) a lot of stuff (like newspeak, doublespeak, Room 101, big brother, memory holes, etc) makes more sense after reading it.
Unread 18 Jan 2004, 22:39   #23
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How on earth is The Godfather a 'classic' (by conventional definition)? I doubt 90% of people would have even heard of it had it not been made into a film.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2004, 20:09   #24
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I didn't know that Godfather was a book. Id say that 1984 is far more 'classic' than the Godfather.