User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Nov 2003, 19:52   #1
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Space Games

Why are there just no decent space sim type games around these days? The last one I played that I really enjoyed was I-WAR2, that rocked. But, there has been nothing remotely good since. Freelancer was average at best, and I've not seen anything since.

Is there anything around that I have missed?

Please help.

xxx
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 19:53   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Space Games

posting the inevitable "play elite on an emulator" and "planetarion" replies to get them out the way.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 19:56   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

X2 is out in North America very soon, already out in Australia and some European countries not covered by Koch media, the Koch Media countries have to wait 'til February.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 19:58   #4
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Homeworld 1 and 2 arent bad, what about space strategy games like Masters of Orion and Star Control 2? there's a beta out of the remake of SC2, didn't try it yet but i've heard its decent.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:00   #5
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
X2 is out in North America very soon, already out in Australia and some European countries not covered by Koch media, the Koch Media countries have to wait 'til February.
Hmm, I'm interested.

Cheers for that one.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:04   #6
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There's Master of Orion 3. Maybe not what you want, but its a great game. Otherwise, play Earth and Beyond. And isn't Elite III coming soon?
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:08   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

coming soon? they said that 5 years ago as well
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:13   #8
Bunga
I'm not a poet

well then it should be coming even sooner!
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:46   #9
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

i heard about this really cool free game you play in your browser called Planetarion, apparently it has hundreds of thousands of players!
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:49   #10
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

i heard comedy died long time ago on their forums
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 20:52   #11
Rids
The Bad Guy

Its a shame Flayer didnt die a long time ago instead.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 21:34   #12
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Master of Orion 2 rocks.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 21:37   #13
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

moo2 got boring once you learned how to win.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 21:38   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

so hows moo3? i've heard a lot of shit about it, it's worth playing?
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 21:43   #15
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Galactic Civilisation is "the game MOO3 should have been," apparently.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 22:19   #16
Bunga
I'm not a poet

MOO3 is great, but really really slow. I have never finished a game in under a week. Ever. But its fun, once you learn how it works.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 22:35   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
And isn't Elite III coming soon?
Elite III came out in 1995.

Elite IV has been in "development" (of sorts) since then. I wouldn't hold your breath.

The last even vaguely enjoyable Space game (vaguely Elite-alike) I played was Freelancer. But they're all mere shadows of Elite/Frontier.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 22:59   #18
Bunga
I'm not a poet

I didn't like Freelancer. Their market system was worse than the one in Elite I: Frontier and the universe was too linear.

I meant IV, of course. III wasn't as good as II in my mind, but still good.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:03   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I didn't like Freelancer.
Well, it was appalling compared to Frontier. But that could be said about every game in the genre since Frontier, and that includes Privateer, X, I-War, etc.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:07   #20
Bunga
I'm not a poet

The one and only gripe i have about Frontier is that I can't figure out how to leave the Sol system if I start on Mars. Ten years of playing and I still can't do it.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:13   #21
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Asteriods.

There is no game that will match it.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:55   #22
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the homeworlds, freespace 1+2 for me still remain the best 3d space games i own
freelancers control mech is decently nice but .... :S its soo boring with trading. never bothered getting a cargoship cos of it
tho elite 2 was nice, liked that on the amiga 500 i still own, mainly cos it was the best gfx i had ever gotten out of the thing. 3d, wow! etc
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:00   #23
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
The one and only gripe i have about Frontier is that I can't figure out how to leave the Sol system if I start on Mars. Ten years of playing and I still can't do it.
sell the cobra 3 you get for an eagle or similar, and get an autopilot unless you enjoy manual landings. its do-able with the cobra 3 from start without autopilot but bloomin annoying

keep trading things between the colonys, things that are relatively cheap in one place and more expensive in another. im guessing minerals on earth or grain, and selling at the stations surrounding jupiter ( hey, where else are they gonna get it from except internal transports )

takes ages but its do-able. once you got enough for a nice shiny hyperspace drive, get yourself to ross 124 , then its the animal meat to banards star route for you.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:00   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
That was updated about a year ago...

I would quite readily pay £80 for a new Elite, but it's not likely anytime soon.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:02   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
get yourself to ross 124 , then its the animal meat to banards star route for you.
Aye, but it's Ross 154 you're thinking of isn't it?

Animal Skins/Meat <==> Robots/Computers was the win the early game, and Ross 154 is a ridiculously safe system for some reason.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:02   #26
Phil^
Insomniac

hmm or was that the lave system start you got a cobra 3. cant remember. either way the rest of it stands
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:03   #27
Phil^
Insomniac

alternatively you coudl get enough for a fuel scoop and go around a gas giant a bit, sell the fuel and repeat.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:20   #28
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
sell the cobra 3 you get for an eagle or similar, and get an autopilot unless you enjoy manual landings. its do-able with the cobra 3 from start without autopilot but bloomin annoying

keep trading things between the colonys, things that are relatively cheap in one place and more expensive in another. im guessing minerals on earth or grain, and selling at the stations surrounding jupiter ( hey, where else are they gonna get it from except internal transports )

takes ages but its do-able. once you got enough for a nice shiny hyperspace drive, get yourself to ross 124 , then its the animal meat to banards star route for you.
I would do that, but you start with an Interplanetary Ship with no Hyperspace engine and no room for a Fuel Scoop. If I started on Lave (which I do usually) thats what I do, but not on Sol.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:26   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I would do that, but you start with an Interplanetary Ship with no Hyperspace engine and no room for a Fuel Scoop. If I started on Lave (which I do usually) thats what I do, but not on Sol.
I suspect that you'd need to rely on random price fluctuation between planets somehow outweighing the docking charges...
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:36   #30
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
i checked, start with an eagle long range fighter there. interplanetary drive tho
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:37   #31
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Have you ever tried it? The prices were constant within the system. Am I the only one to have tried starting at Sol? If I could start there I would love it, being right on top of the second most lucrative trading route in the galaxy.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:39   #32
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Phil, so did you figure out a way to leave?
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:41   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Have you ever tried it? The prices were constant within the system.
Prices alter over time tho, you could buy Commodity X, go into space for a week, come back and hope the price had changed slightly. But it would take literally thousands of attempts, and I suspect your drive would fail due to lack of servicing before you made it. Can't you accept some packages for delivery and ask for payment in advance, or is your rep too low then?

And no, I never tried the Sol one. I always like starting in Ross 154, although I did do the Lave one a few times. The majority of the time I spent playing the game I was playing the one continuous game trying to get to Prince/Elite.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:44   #34
Bunga
I'm not a poet

I've never gotten Prince or the best Federation Military rank, but the ELITE combat isn't too hard. I t just takes years.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:44   #35
Phil^
Insomniac

nope heh. i didnt like the lack of hyperspace and never bother playing there. might do tho sometime later. strip the fighter down as much as you can, sell laser if it has one etc, keep atmospheric shielding and get a fuel scoop if funds allow. alternatively im sure there was a way to get yourself a heap of funds by trying to sell your ship for a interplanetary shuttle if someone was on board, i know buying 1t of rubbish and clicking left ( or right, cant remember ) of the jettison button got you a magic extra 1t of cargo space tho it damaged your ship a little iirc

i might go back to my amiga and see if i can get a way of getting funds starting from sol sometime
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:46   #36
Bunga
I'm not a poet

i tried dumping radioactives 100 AU beyond Pluto, but they can't have meant for us to do that 100 times to get enough cash.
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 00:48   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I've never gotten Prince or the best Federation Military rank, but the ELITE combat isn't too hard. I t just takes years.
I got to Dangerous legitimately and then gave up. I got to Elite once inside a space station (must have been a bug, although I was in a fight with the police, crashed inside the station, for some reason didn't die, ended up shooting for about five minutes (while still "lodged") getting 'Right on Commander' every 30 seconds. Was Elite, but then died straight away (no save).

Then I realised you could get to ELITE by just shooting that stupid asteroid in the Sol system. After that it seemed pointless.