User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Nov 2003, 01:14   #1
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
hey americans

just some odd points ive always wondered

you have seperated state and religion right, so does that mean no RE classes? and is this why 'sunday school' seems to be so prelevant in america*

who do you hate more mexico or canada

how many homes in your area have flags outside them?

explain to me the rules of american football in 10 lines, i watched a bit of it on ch5 and it didnt make any sense however i am quite interested, people ran into each other even if they didnt have the ball, the man who did have the ball ran until he was tackled then everything stopped and was started again.
I cant be bothered to google its too much effort you tell me

* according to tv ive watched which ofc is representative of american society
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 02:41   #2
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: hey americans

What's RE?

I know very few people that attended sunday school or even go to church regularly, at least as far as I know.

er... Mexico, just a random choice, I really don't hate either country.

Very few.

Now this one could be tough since I pay little attention to the sport but here goes:

Two teams compete on a 100 yard field to attempt score a touchdown by getting the ball to the end of the field, either by using running or passing plays. They get 4 downs, or attempts, if they can not exceed 10 yards by the end of the 4th down then the ball is turned over to the other team.If they do get past 10 yards, then it goes back to first down. When a team scores the ball is then kicked off, where the other team catches and runs the ball as far as they can without getting tackled, and the fun starts all over again.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 02:58   #3
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmonkey
What's RE?
Religious Education, as a subject taught in schools.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 03:04   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: hey americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt

you have seperated state and religion right, so does that mean no RE classes?
What's an RE class? Religion?

Separation of state and religion with respect to education means that religion is not taught in public (state-funded) schools (except in a historical/comparitive sense). There are many private schools, however, that are free to teach/preach religion to their heart's content.
Quote:
and is this why 'sunday school' seems to be so prelevant in america*
Possibly. I always thought Sunday School was as much daycare as instruction. If you've ever tried to get young children to sit still for an hour or so without annoying anyone else, you'll know where I'm coming from.
Quote:
I don't really hate either, but if I had to pick I guess I'd have to say Mexico. Canada's fluffy and they speak English.
Quote:
Just one; I live two blocks from the Minnesota Govenor's mansion.
Quote:
explain to me the rules of american football in 10 lines, i watched a bit of it on ch5 and it didnt make any sense however i am quite interested, people ran into each other even if they didnt have the ball, the man who did have the ball ran until he was tackled then everything stopped and was started again.
American Football is similar to Rugby (on which it is based). As I recall, the major differences are that forward passes are allowed, pads can be worn, you can tackle players who don't have the ball, and the ball is "dead" when downed--leading to frequent, though short, stoppages of play.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 03:06   #5
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmonkey

Two teams compete on a 100 yard field to attempt score a touchdown by getting the ball to the end of the field, either by using running or passing plays. They get 4 downs, or attempts, if they can not exceed 10 yards by the end of the 4th down then the ball is turned over to the other team.If they do get past 10 yards, then it goes back to first down. When a team scores the ball is then kicked off, where the other team catches and runs the ball as far as they can without getting tackled, and the fun starts all over again.

ah it begins to make sense, but whats the deal with the players without the ball taking each other out? why not concentrate on getting the one with the ball?
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 03:10   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
ah it begins to make sense, but whats the deal with the players without the ball taking each other out? why not concentrate on getting the one with the ball?
that is most likely the idea the defensive team has in mind. but the other team trys to stop them in doing so.

PS no, i dont have much of an idea about the sport, i only watched two superbowls or something.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 03:15   #7
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, they are going after the guy with the ball, for the most part. The offense blocks to give enough time to make a pass, or make holes in the defense for someone to run through. The defense tries to break through this defense, but they also have to cover the guys running out to catch the ball, who can't be tackled unless they do have the ball.

My understanding of the game isn't the best, so this explanation might not be that great.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 03:20   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

just watch a few games and dont worry about the details. you can still enjoy a real football match without knowing what offside is, so i dont think there is a problem with american football if you dont know all the details neither.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 06:06   #9
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

you have seperated state and religion right, so does that mean no RE classes? and is this why 'sunday school' seems to be so prelevant in america*
There's plenty of religion classes, the thing is just that, in a public school, the state can't say 'this religion is right/wrong', except for when they're talking about Greek/etc mythologies. There is some stuff that just won't die tho, like the creationism in some states and the 'One Nation Under God' pledge almost everywhere. Like Tictac said, Sunday Schools are more of a church-based daycare than education, since the kids in them are so young.

Quote:
Mexico I suppose, but I'm more jealous of Canada.

Quote:
Here, almost none, but up in the 'burbs where my parents live it might be around 20%.

Quote:
I'm not a sports guy myself, I have no clue how this is played. But don't tell anyone.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 08:10   #10
sinnamon xie
teens1ut

sinnamon xie is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have Sunday school elsewhere?

Sunday school is only on Sunday and is usually a good way to keep kids out of the boring adult sermons and into a more fun environment where they can learn about whatever religion their church is a part of.

Of course, with stupid GWB saying "Thank God" and having his antiabortion, pro-life BS every five seconds, you can see that "separation of church and state" seems more like fancy words than reality.

We don't really hate Canadians. We just love to make fun of them.

We don't really hate Mexicans. We just love to exploit them for cheap labor.

CBA to explain football

[M&S]
sinnamon xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 20:26   #11
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
you have seperated state and religion right, so does that mean no Religion Education classes? and is this why "sunday school" seems to be so prelevant in america*
No religion classes at public schools. There are many private schools run through churches, but you have to pay tuition. For most it's not too bad, though.

Quote:
We hate mexico mostly because they're all trying to move up here. No self-pride.
I for one, love Canada. I'd move there if it wasn't so cold.

Quote:
Not so many actually. Far less than in late 2001. The more interesting stat is how many Ford Expeditions and Excursions have flag stickers on them.

Quote:
1) Each team gets four tries (downs) to advance the ball ten yards. If you fail you turn over posession. After you get ten yards the downs reset (first down).
2) On fourth down (or on any down, really) you can kick a field goal (kick the ball through the goalposts) for three points or punt the ball. When you punt, you're just kicking the ball downfield so the other team gets it farther from their "endzone" (goal).
3) Getting the ball in the endzone (touchdown) is worth six points. After a touchdown you get to kick an 'extra point', which is a very short field goal, for one point.
4) After touchdown or field goal, or at the beginning of a half, there is a kickoff, where one team kicks the ball downfield towards the other team to exchange possesion.

Uhh, that's the basics.
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:01   #12
Nusselt
share the <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dying puppy

We hate mexico mostly because they're all trying to move up here. No self-pride.
I for one, love Canada. I'd move there if it wasn't so cold.

maybe mexicans move to america for the weather?
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:13   #13
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
maybe mexicans move to america for the weather?
have you been to Mexico?
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:28   #14
Nusselt
share the <3

nope but i hear its warmer then russia
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:44   #15
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
nope but i hear its warmer then russia
ok, let me ask you, weatherwise - would you rather move to russia, mexico, or usa?
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:46   #16
Nusselt
share the <3

i hate hot weather so russia
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:50   #17
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
i hate hot weather so russia
I give up.
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 17:00   #18
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

US Football Sucks, plan and simple. Sucks, Sucks, Sucks.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 17:03   #19
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
ok, let me ask you, weatherwise - would you rather move to russia, mexico, or usa?
Well that is a stupid question. Where in the USA? If you move to the NE you freeze your balls off during the winter months. If you move Mid-West you freeze your balls off even longer and with more snow and death (stupid great plains). If you move to S its pretty much warm in the winter but hot as balls with lots of bugs and skeeters during the summer.

Now, considering the Size of Russia, I wouldn't be suprised if they have something similiar though I can't recall any Flordia winter vaction type spots.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 23:35   #20
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Id prefer living in Russia actually. Always wanted a nice house in Siberia. Its beautifull over there.

And yes, I'm serious.
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 23:54   #21
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I'd move to Russia purely for the oh-so-cheap booze, and pretty much everything else come to think of it. 14p for pint? yes please!!!
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote