User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:41   #1
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
An xp question

my friend is uninstalling xp and then re installing it due to the fact it thinks it has a network card it doesnt so he cant install his broadband software for some stupid reason

the problem is there is no serial number on top of his pc so when he re installs his xp what info does he have to put in to "register it" is it just the product code that starts oem...?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:41   #2
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Re: An xp question

which u can find in registery (product code)?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:42   #3
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not if you reinstalled MUAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If he got it from Dell or compaq and such call support. They SHOULD have it on record since MS makes them.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:43   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No, it's not the OEM one. It's a 25 character one, I think. You can google for one, since I doubt it's permitted to put it here.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:44   #5
Tobe
Checkout Boy

so if u re install u dont need to input code?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:45   #6
Intrepid00

No, if he reinstalls the registery is wiped clean. Again he shouldn't need to reinstall to install hardware, espically on XP.

You could check MS knowledge DB and see if he needs it if he runs a repair instead.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:46   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No, you do. You need to put in a 25 digit code. I don't think it's kept in the registry.

It'll be something in the form of : XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX

[edit]Yeah, Intrepid is right, there's no need to install XP again, usually. Just strip out the offending entries in device manager[/edit]
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:47   #8
Tobe
Checkout Boy

he doesnt need to re install hardware the hardware was installed by a computer doctor ( a network card) but they removed the card didnt uninstall the software and despite the cards website advice he cant uninstall the software so the pc thinks the card is there so it wont install his broadband software
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:48   #9
Tobe
Checkout Boy

he s tried everything to uninstall the device that isnt there and it doesnt work
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:50   #10
Intrepid00

I am searching my registry now to see where it is.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:52   #11
Tobe
Checkout Boy

tried that
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:52   #12
Intrepid00

Sounds like to me someone bought hardward not on the HCL.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:54   #13
Tobe
Checkout Boy

i havent got a clue what that means

to me hcl means hydrochloric acid
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:57   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Anyway, if he's insisting on reinstalling XP, just Google for a Product Key. As I say, I'm not sure if it's in the registry. I'm pretty sure I used the one that starts FCKGW, but I can't find that string in Regedit.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:02   #15
Intrepid00

Neither can I. Call the manufactor, MS makes them keep it on record.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:08   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Surely disabling the (non-existent) device will just make Windows forget about it?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:10   #17
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Fairly sure that HCl means hydrochloric acid, hcl means nothing in particular chemical.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:15   #18
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Anyway, if he's insisting on reinstalling XP, just Google for a Product Key. As I say, I'm not sure if it's in the registry. I'm pretty sure I used the one that starts FCKGW, but I can't find that string in Regedit.
A googled Reg key is all well and good, but won't allow any updates/patches to be installed as the key won't be valid.

Call tech support.

P.S. I know the above is true as 'shocker', my XP Pro is utterly pirated.

Mum, I'm sorry, I'm a thief.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:20   #19
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Call me odd, but I have never understood how copyright infringement is theft. I can understand how its copyright infringement, but not how it is theft. After all, if I'm not depriving anyone of anything.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:21   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Apart from depriving MSoft of the cash it would have received if you'd bought a legit copy, you're absolutely right.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:26   #21
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Well I wouldn't have bought a legit copy, ever, for any reason! So they aren't losing any money from me.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:30   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
A googled Reg key is all well and good, but won't allow any updates/patches to be installed as the key won't be valid.
I just assumed he had a pirated copy too...

Isn't there a Key-Generator which allows you to change your reg-code to something which means you can install the Service Packs?

You can still update Windows anyway, just not install some of the SPs.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 20:45   #23
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe
i havent got a clue what that means

to me hcl means hydrochloric acid
It means Hardware Compatibility List, but it is being replaced by the windows catlog. You can find it in your program list when you hit start. If its not in there, its not on the HCL and hence a good chance it will not work with windows.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:16   #24
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

With a pirated key you can do everything with XP bar install SP1.

And just right-clicking the offending device in Device Manager and hitting Remove will solve the problem without all this fannying about.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:40   #25
Intrepid00

If I where to take guess, he installed some shitty generic hardware that installed software in the most uncovential manner.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 22:30   #26
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There is a common utility "Windows XP product key viewer" that tells you what key has already been used on your machine. (so if you have to reinstall you can run it, write it down, and then re-enter it)

I've got pirate XP pro. When I tried to install SP1 (having used the "FCKGW..." serial) it wouldn't let me. I used a keychanger and it then worked fine. Oh, and I've always used the windows update site without any problems, downloaded a couple of critical updates only the other day actually.

Last edited by 1-X; 18 Oct 2003 at 23:49. Reason: removed a little unnecessary info
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 23:03   #27
Bunga
I'm not a poet

I wonder if anyone has a legit FCKGW serial. I used to know the entire thing by heart...
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:22   #28
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe
my friend is uninstalling xp and then re installing it due to the fact it thinks it has a network card it doesnt so he cant install his broadband software for some stupid reason

the problem is there is no serial number on top of his pc so when he re installs his xp what info does he have to put in to "register it" is it just the product code that starts oem...?
can you not just delete the hardware if it is in device manager?

or remove any network settings (accessed from the control panel)
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote