User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Mar 2003, 11:30   #1
Anaximander

Anaximander is an unknown quantity at this point
Armed tourists

I have a question, just out of curiosity.
If I visit the USA for some weeks as a tourist, can I purchase a handgun for the time I'm there?
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 11:59   #2
storeslem
magister

storeslem is an unknown quantity at this point
guess ToT would know
r2: 21:23:10 BrainDrain of Idealia
r3: 36:5:1 Efreet of Azur
r4: 6:5:12 StoreSlem of Idealia
r5: 19:19:21 BrainDrain of Eudamonia
r6: 22:17:x x of x (cant remember, magister tho)
r7: 22:23:x x of x (dont do drugs kids)
r9: 39:8:3 StoreSlem of Idealia

"Meningen med livet er å gjøre livet verdt å leve"
-Sigurdnw
storeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 12:00   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I think you'd need a fixed address to buy one legally.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 12:00   #4
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: Armed tourists

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaximander
I have a question, just out of curiosity.
If I visit the USA for some weeks as a tourist, can I purchase a handgun for the time I'm there?
If you obtain a licence, yes.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 12:16   #5
Anaximander

Re: Re: Armed tourists

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
If you obtain a licence, yes.
And what is necessary to get this license? I mean it seems quite easy for every American to get one. I have heard some times ago, that thugs tended to rob tourists, even followed cabs from airports, because they knew, that their victims would have no arms.
Of course, it wouldn't help me in these cases, since it would take me some time to get one. I really just want to know.

Besides, I think it is highly unfair to be the only unarmed person, surrounded by ones with guns....
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 12:48   #6
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Re: Armed tourists

Quote:

Besides, I think it is highly unfair to be the only unarmed person, surrounded by ones with guns....
I think it depends on the state... so in some states it is easy, and others it isn't.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:21   #7
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Armed tourists

Quote:
And what is necessary to get this license? I mean it seems quite easy for every American to get one. I have heard some times ago, that thugs tended to rob tourists, even followed cabs from airports, because they knew, that their victims would have no arms.
Of course, it wouldn't help me in these cases, since it would take me some time to get one. I really just want to know.

You sound like you're about to go into a war zone or something.

Chill. I've never met anyone who carries around guns, and I only know 1 or 2 people who even own any. (Shotguns, rural folk)

But no, I'd be very surprised if you could buy a firearm without at least actually moving here.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:39   #8
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
tourists afraid to visit the States make me laugh.
just don't make yourself a victim! don't wear controversial clothing (an american could give you pointers better than i could) stuff like don't wear tommy hilfiger etc :P
don't walk around like you're expecting to get shot. keep your head up.. *look* but don't stare at people (you most likely won't get robbed if they think you could identify them later)

etc etc
it's common sense.
you'll be fine.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:40   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

Why the hell would you want to?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:42   #10
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
by the time you sort out all the documentation and wait for the cool off period your holiday will be over.

also, you can't carr ythe gun around unless you're in a state which allows concealed carry. If it is a state that allows it you have to apply for another license for it which takes ages.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:44   #11
Lord Talon

Lord Talon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
by the time you sort out all the documentation and wait for the cool off period your holiday will be over.

also, you can't carr ythe gun around unless you're in a state which allows concealed carry. If it is a state that allows it you have to apply for another license for it which takes ages.

you know if you keep telling him stuff like this you are likely to give him the wrong impression that we have gun control ;p
Lord Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:47   #12
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Armed tourists

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
You sound like you're about to go into a war zone or something.

He is, he is visiting the country in the world that has more Guns per capita than any other.

Quote:
The United States has the largest number of guns in private hands of any country in the world with 60 million people owning a combined arsenal of over 200 million firearms.
Quote:
In 2000, the FBI estimated that 66% of the 15,517 murders that year were committed with firearms
Quote:
Fatal shootings in recent years, many involving teenagers, has made the issue of gun control a key debate in US politics.
Guns in the US

Last edited by Judge; 20 Mar 2003 at 16:52.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:50   #13
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
That doesn't make it a warzone.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:53   #14
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
That doesn't make it a warzone.
what else would you call a country that has over 15000 murders involving guns per annum?
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 17:06   #15
Anaximander

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
tourists afraid to visit the States make me laugh.
just don't make yourself a victim! don't wear controversial clothing (an american could give you pointers better than i could) stuff like don't wear tommy hilfiger etc :P
don't walk around like you're expecting to get shot. keep your head up.. *look* but don't stare at people (you most likely won't get robbed if they think you could identify them later)

etc etc
it's common sense.
you'll be fine.

You're caveats give me the feeling that it is indeed dangerous to visit the states. I wasn't afraid before but now....

I don't want to purchase a weapon for the case I visit the USA. What shall I do with this thing when I leave? I'm only interested, if the liberalism of arms is even extended to visitors.
Have I to move to the states or not to get one? I know, there are differences between the states.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 17:09   #16
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
there are different laws in each state. some allow you to carry concealed weapons, some don't.

what i was saying is there's no point in having a gun for (how long are you there??) a short period of time. use your head and you'll be fine. (where are you going?)

and if you're that scared don't go :\ (wimp :P)
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 17:12   #17
Anaximander

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
what else would you call a country that has over 15000 murders involving guns per annum?
erm. I'm antigun myself. But please not another general pro and antigun discussion. There had been enough already.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 17:16   #18
Anaximander

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
there are different laws in each state. some allow you to carry concealed weapons, some don't.

what i was saying is there's no point in having a gun for (how long are you there??) a short period of time. use your head and you'll be fine. (where are you going?)

and if you're that scared don't go :\ (wimp :P)
Ah no. I'm not visiting the USA. Perhaps later. I would prefer Canada anyway (drippling slime)...
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 20:54   #19
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
Gee, maybe one day I might actually see a gun be fired. The only guns you see around here outside of gun racks & shops are on the belts of policemen.

Sorry if you have experiences to the contrary, but I have only lived here my entire life, and am residing in an urban city, and have never seen anyone packing a gun.

if you think statistics turns this country into some "Escape From LA" movie or whatever those were called, please get your head out of your ass.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 22:35   #20
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
Surrounded by people with guns? Where are you visiting, Cabrini Green?

In any event I sure as hell hope you can't buy a gun if you're visiting. I was born and raised in the US and I can't buy one so you sure as hell better not be able to. Considering you have to do background checks and such I don't see how you could. I think it would be difficult to perform the background search if you're not from the US.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 22:48   #21
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
That was how the Columbine kids got their guns and after that there was a big thing about it. That was in 99 and there was talk of making things tighter but I'm not sure if anything got accomplished.