User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Jul 2003, 16:24   #1
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Irc

It seems to me that so far most of the programming or technical channels seem to be biased towards scripting (#php, #perl, #scripting). It would be good to form a more generalised help channel that covered more bases than that. How about it?

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 28 Jul 2003, 16:36   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: Irc

Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
It would be good to form a more generalised help channel that covered more bases than that.
>>>>>>#linux<<<<<<<

failing that, then #help, or #pd.hts
Unread 28 Jul 2003, 17:00   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
"Generalised help channel" is a contradiction; as a channel becomes more general it becomes less helpful. The limit of generality is a channel that is not helpful at all, where everyone in the world joins a single IRC room, where lines of text scroll by so fast that no-one can take notice of anyone else, where anyone can ask anything they like and no-one listens.
Unread 28 Jul 2003, 17:39   #4
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
"Generalised help channel" is a contradiction; as a channel becomes more general it becomes less helpful. The limit of generality is a channel that is not helpful at all, where everyone in the world joins a single IRC room, where lines of text scroll by so fast that no-one can take notice of anyone else, where anyone can ask anything they like and no-one listens.
Well, that counts #linux out then \0/
Unread 28 Jul 2003, 20:33   #5
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
we talk about fags and blicks
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 05:06   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Irc

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
>>>>>>#linux<<<<<<<
I thought someone might mention that, but last person I want to talk to about technical stuff is a linux user

When I say generalised I don't mean too much in the extremes, but something that doesn't focus purely on either scripting or linux platforms would be a welcome addition.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 06:48   #7
Tweakster
I'm back baby!

Tweakster is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not sure I quite understand where you are trying to go with this. Do you mean a generalized channel where help could be obtained for the things you mentioned (#php, #perl, etc) or a channel where help not of that nature, but still development oriented, could be obtained? For example; game development, platform specific application development, etc?

What kind of help will a user be able to get by joining this channel you ahve in mind? I guess thats the nutshell... isnt that 'spose to go at the beginning? doh!
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 08:14   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
we clearly need #vb
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 08:55   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweakster
I am not sure I quite understand where you are trying to go with this. Do you mean a generalized channel where help could be obtained for the things you mentioned (#php, #perl, etc) or a channel where help not of that nature, but still development oriented, could be obtained? For example; game development, platform specific application development, etc?

What kind of help will a user be able to get by joining this channel you ahve in mind? I guess thats the nutshell... isnt that 'spose to go at the beginning? doh!
heh, well ideally a #C or #Win32 channel would suit my needs perfectly, but I'm not talking about my needs. That's why I suggested something a little broader like #programming that could be usefull to everybody.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 15:59   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
heh, well ideally a #C or #Win32 channel would suit my needs perfectly, but I'm not talking about my needs. That's why I suggested something a little broader like #programming that could be usefull to everybody.

=[DJ Bass]=
#bugcreation?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2003, 19:19   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
I might be slightly biased here, but if I want PHP help, I look to people like Grendels, Forexs, queball, chip etc. - all nixy types. If i want C# help I ask RR (in #linux, obviously). God forbid, if I ever wanted vb help, I'd ask W. For C help I'd ask the manual, for Perl, Programming Perl (or perhaps The Perl Cookbook) or Jester/Queball................

For Win32 API, theres either Nodrog or the cyanide pills..

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:05   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The thing is (although this is becomming less true as MDK and other 'fluffy' builds get better) in order to have much sucess with linux you have at least basic knowledge of what "all those cardy bits with chips on" inside your pc do, and to configure the thing you'll need to have some kind of basic scripting knowledge too since all but the most basic configuration files tend to involve scripting elements such as ifs, whiles, etc.
Then if you want to install anything new that's not been prepackaged yet (ie. no RPM for your distro build or whatever) then you have to fiddlearse about compiling things, and more often than not you have to go and download and compile five OTHER things before the thing you want to compile will compile because it has loads of dependancies.

So basicly, linux users are likely to know:
Hardware
Scripting
Programming

The only thing they're unlikely to be able to help with is a specific win32 problem (for which the posts on here seem minimal).

And while #linux has a reputation for being hostile, that's somewhat undeserved now. On the occasions I've asked for help in there I've had decent responses - you just have to phrase your question right. "Oi geeks, my soundcard wont work whats wrong with it" obviously isn't going to get you very far.

Just my thoughts.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 14:42   #13
djbass
mmm.. pills

To be honest I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said.

I have been programming for 18 years and so am not looking for help so much as like minded people to discuss things with.

This is where I have the issue in that based on past experience in dealing with the existing channels I have been met with hostile reactions as Megla mentioned.

My thoughts were toward promoting a much friendlier and productive environment for exchange of information. The point of making it broader was to encourage users to be more tolerant of the special needs unique to every person that visits the channel. MTs' last comment is a good example of what I wish to avoid, descrimination against a particular language or platform is anti-productive.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 14:44   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I thought he was discriminating against Nod actually.
Unless i've misinterpreted it.