User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Dec 2002, 12:41   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Use [code] or [php]?

I personally favour using the "Code" button marked # - whilst there's no colors, there's no colors

The "PHP" tag here just doesn't work due to the background. For example:

PHP Code:
if($st = @opendir($dir)) {
    while((
$file readdir($st))!==false) {
        if((
$file!=".") && ($file!="..")) {

$f[$file] = (is_dir($dir.'/'.$file))?-1:filesize($dir.'/'.$file);
        }
    }

closedir($st);

display();
} else {

//do something about unopened directory

echo "Could not read directory<BR/>";

Code:
if($st = @opendir($dir)) {
	while(($file = readdir($st))!==false) {
		if(($file!=".") && ($file!="..")) {
			$f[$file] = (is_dir($dir.'/'.$file))?-1:filesize($dir.'/'.$file);
		}
	}
	closedir($st);
	display();
} else {
	//do something about unopened directory
	echo "Could not read directory<BR/>";
}
See?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 13:49   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I normally perfer the [php] one as its easier to see what the code does but you dont have much choice on these forums as the colours dont go well with those used in the [php] tag code
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 18:58   #3
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Can't you edit the php colours, i've not looked at the admin panel since like version 1 but i bet you can.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 19:03   #4
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
You can.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 19:26   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
As pointed out you can bit a) They are the default colours that the php code should be coloured as so changing makes it less useful and b) finding colours that are ok for all styles would be hard
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 19:40   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
The highlighting in the PHP tags are crap IMO. No such thing as basic type highlighting or numeric highlighting.
Neither does it seem to follow the coloring most compilers use...

BTW, Mong, put every '{' (don't know you call those characters) character on its own line... it makes your code look so much more tidy IMO.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 20:14   #7
Androme

why not develop the [HTML, [XHTML], [JAVASCRIPT], [JAVA], [PERL] and other such tags? WHY IS THE vB ANTI-PHP CODE TAGIST?
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 20:37   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity

BTW, Mong, put every '{' (don't know you call those characters) character on its own line... it makes your code look so much more tidy IMO.
Code:
int main() {
    printf("Wrong");
}
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 20:45   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Code:
int main()
{
    printf("yes it does!");
}
No really.... I think it makes code look better... I also used to put the '{' on the end of the line, but it changed it recently because it's part of the syntax protocol used in the company I work in ATM. Not that this company is that big, but still
I definately see the difference, especially with many nested blocks. I can see very quickly where a block begins and ends.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 23:34   #10
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
If people tend to post stuff in the [php] tag on this forum, I tend to edit their posts and change it to the [code] tag anyways, so use what you like \o/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2002, 00:27   #11
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
over at www.sitepointforums.com they have changed the template in vB so that instead of surrounding code/php with <hr> they stick it in a table with a light b/ground so the highlighting shows up...
Unread 22 Dec 2002, 03:41   #12
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
well, I can ask Karmulian at any roads. Altho I cant see why anyone would ask a question about PHP anyways :/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 15:40   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Code:
int main()
{
    printf("yes it does!");
}
No really.... I think it makes code look better... I also used to put the '{' on the end of the line, but it changed it recently because it's part of the syntax protocol used in the company I work in ATM. Not that this company is that big, but still
I definately see the difference, especially with many nested blocks. I can see very quickly where a block begins and ends.
These heretics will pay for their lies! The One True Brace is the only coding style! There are no other coding! It's all lies spread by the US government!

Oh, and *bump*
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 15:43   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
These heretics will pay for their lies! The One True Brace is the only coding style! There are no other coding! It's all lies spread by the US government!

Oh, and *bump*
\o/

Does that mean you agree with me?
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 15:59   #15
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
\o/

Does that mean you agree with me?
Unfortunately not
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 16:07   #16
Mong
Forever Delayed

This is how to do it. You know it makes sense!

Code:
if ($_POST['Submit_x'])
{
	echo "Woooo";
}
M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 16:10   #17
Mong
Forever Delayed

Oh and Gayle! Stop time wasting here, and help me out in my thread!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 25 Jun 2003, 16:19   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Oh and Gayle! Stop time wasting here, and help me out in my thread!

M.
I would if it didn't involve Javascript :/

Ask me something in Cantonese. I know more Cantonese than I do Javascript
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 16:23   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

hmmmmz

Say, now we're talking about PHP tags, how would I go about and create a syntax highlighter in PHP?
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:12   #20
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
As pointed out you can bit a) They are the default colours that the php code should be coloured as so changing makes it less useful and b) finding colours that are ok for all styles would be hard
I'm hoping for a background colour change like <div style="background:white">...</div> or equivalent.

There is a thread in the forum mods board asking for a change of [php] colours which Karmulian has replied to. Hopefully it will be done for the new (round 10) forums. In the meantime please use [code].

I usually browse with colours disabled so just see black on white.

Quote:
hmmmmz

Say, now we're talking about PHP tags, how would I go about and create a syntax highlighter in PHP?
http://php.net/highlight_string
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 21:17   #21
Karmulian

i'm glad u reminded me about this

will have a look at it on the dev server - now
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:16   #22
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Code:
<?php