User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 10 Feb 2010, 10:36   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Game Feed

This round, we've been storing some basic game information to use as a game feed.
I aim for this to be dumped, shown in game and maybe have a list on the portal or something.

I've generated a static feed for all the saved information up until yesterday, which can be seen here.

It contains changes of when the top planet, galaxy and alliance have changed.
If alliance NAPs / wars become part of the game (which they hopefully will), then these will also be shown on the feed.

What other things would players like to see included, and where should it be displayed?

I'm guessing a sandmans-style stats page would probably be relatively popular, too? (not promising this :P)
Unread 10 Feb 2010, 11:55   #2
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future
Re: Game Feed

Planet Ranking: Rulername of Planetname (x:y:z) just went up/down 200+ ranks!

For either crashers or xp lands!
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2010, 12:02   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I thought of that, and then thought of having it something like a change of more than rank/3 - going from 60 to 40 is as big a jump as going from 600 to 400, I'd have thought.
However, near the beginning of the round, the sheer volume of this will be hilarious
Unread 10 Feb 2010, 19:49   #4
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice

NAPs / Wars would be interesting (both the part of the game and the feed). Planet/Gal/Alliance rankings not (if they were, we would've already coded this.)
Unread 10 Feb 2010, 20:05   #5
Zotnam
Over the moon
Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Sperm Wars Champion

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future

Seriously, who comes up with these ideas? All this and more is already viewable on sandmans.. If you want to make in game stats of this sort, you need to come up with a daily summery of ups and downs, complete with battlereports from these places, something like "most attacks fleest landied on a planet in 1 tick, most defense fleets recieved, most incoming fleets recieved (both gal and planet and alliance), most value lost on attack/defense etc etc, I can make a real list if you'd actually want to implant it. This would provide stats you can't get anywhere else, and make every pa player a bit more aware of what is going on around them in the game. Make the daily update at 19:00 gmt or so, that way most people will check it but the info will still be old enough that no-one goes "omg this gal has a lot of inc lets launch more on it" There could be a "round high" stat saved in the different categories aswell.
A "twitter" wannabe feed is about as interesting as looking at a ct relay

Planets.
Zik: 3rd(r30), 4th(r52), 7th(r27), 9th(r26), 31st(r51)
Ter: 3rd(r50), 4th(r53), 4th(r37), 5th(r31) 7th (r58)
Xan: 3rd(r36), 40th(r57) 54th(r33), 104th(r29)
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),
Etd: 14th(r28)

Those damn emp races..
Zotnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2010, 01:04   #6
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

I like where you're thinking about going, and I also really appreciate the fact you're engaging us early on and letting us see what you're getting up to. However, as with the posters above me, I feel the current feed is completely uninteresting.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2010, 12:51   #7
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Golan has pointed out what would make the feed interesting and unique, as the current version is something that already is obvious from the bot files.

One way or another, it is frustrating to see that you people have time for these toy projects instead of actually thinking about how to improve the game experience.
Unread 11 Feb 2010, 13:12   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

To explain further:
Firstly, I didn't actually spend much time on this.
My original idea was something that would have some activities every tick or two, that could be placed on something like the portal, and perhaps in game, so that users could see more about what's going on in the universe.

I admit the starting point wasn't great; it was just a simple way of setting the ball rolling.

I'm glad that some people took the request and suggestion in the spirit it was given, and had given some constructive comments.

I'd like to confirm that this is by no means a/the "major change" that will have a lot of time spent on it over the next few rounds. It was something that I wanted opinions on. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 11 Feb 2010 at 13:19.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2010, 20:01   #9
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotnam View Post
Seriously, who comes up with these ideas? All this and more is already viewable on sandmans..
People keep complaining that this game doesnt attract new players and that new players feel kind of lost in this game. Some kind of universe news is great and also adds some immersion which PA badly needs.
I don't understand ppl who complain about small but neat extra features tbh.

I like that and I hope you'll add this asap.
Also like mentioned that feed should contain:
- alliances going to war with each other
- alliances making peace with each other
- alliances disbanding/creating
- players joining/leaving alliances
- maybe exiles shown
- cowards roiding 1:1 bot planets
- major battles being reported and maybe battle reports shown

I'd especially like the last point in it. I've seen this in other games and it adds much to the game. It's like "somewhere out there was a big battle" and adds additional immersion to the game.

[Edit]
I'd like to see this all in game, not on a separate page. Just add a little feed windows banner sized somewhere where you get the news showing line by line with timestamp but dunno if a coder really feels like doing it

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 09:56   #10
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

I Think this is a good idea, and something the game needs. I cant see why the idea has to be shot down and stepped upon. Maybe its not revolutionary, but as long as it improves the game it should be welcomed. Now just stick it into the db and make a little JavaScript-snippet to get it rolling and you're off. Then start tuning the data AS you find out what works and what doesnt.

Keep at it, Appoco!
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 12:18   #11
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

I like the ticker tape idea from Korsan (assuming he means similar to the BBC news feed on http://news.bbc.co.uk/ )
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 12:55   #12
butter

butter is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Spinner... why do some people feel it is useful or a reasonable thing to find something negative in new options?
People do seek changes and community involvement so this is a nice and easy(for those who are good at this stuff) way to provide pa news to the community without the need to read reams of forum posts or check sandmans...
cudos for trying to find something novel and enticing
as was also requested those with good ideas or additions should put those forward
butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 22:10   #13
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
as was also requested those with good ideas or additions should put those forward
Fire butter and judge.
As this seems to be the general opinion, the burden of proof why not to do this lies not with me.
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 22:56   #14
Hosie
Look its a useless rank.
Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion

Hosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to all

I'm pro the relay just because of the high amount of DUDEISM in it.
Hosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 23:22   #15
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

@Judge
Yes that's exactly how i meant it. Imagine that in game that would look awesome. Such a little thing would add MUCH to the game. Get rid of additional sites to look for info, get it all into the game the way Spinner told you

And...

Unread 4 Mar 2010, 17:44   #16
Korsan
Always MadcowS

so is it dead or ready for r36?

And...

Unread 24 May 2010, 14:49   #17
Korsan
Always MadcowS

hmm i see this neat tool has been banned to a dark corner somewhere in universe -> feed

What happened to that BBC like news feed window? You have some room to place it on the right side of the Planetarion logo in game (where that spaceship is).
Live ticker ftw! Looks so much better!

And...

Unread 24 May 2010, 22:31   #18
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

maybe you should read jbg's thread?
Unread 25 May 2010, 11:06   #19
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

Or join in the beta and find out?
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2010, 12:16   #20
Appocomaster
PA Team

Just to confirm, the dump is now located here
Unread 27 Jun 2010, 18:43   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would just like to say that the feed was a great idea and that I'm thorougly enjoying getting live updates of lands like this. That sad, it'd be nice if it were a bit more conspicuous, it's hidden rather deep down the tree of subtabs.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote