User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 16 Dec 2010, 23:57   #1
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Strategy for Winter Round

I thought that we might get afew new players who signup to the game during this 'fun round', so thought i'd post again how players should setup there planets, which race to pick and what strategys to use. Its fairly simple this round to advise new players on this, as theres only really 1 strategy for them to use. This guide is also useful for anyone going Xan, not just new players though

Ok, to start off and make sure you havent already made any mistakes or done anything you shouldnt of. I'd advise you to go to preferences and click the 'exile/del/reset/vacation' link at the top of page. Then proceed to reset your account, this will return your planet to its 'signup' state, so i can instruct you to do things in the most optimal way.

The next thing is deciding on which race to play. Theres usually 5 races in Planetarion and new players are generally advised to go Terran/Xan or ETD depending on the stats of the round. However, as this is a fun round, there are only 3 races available to play which are Xan(Cloak), Zik(Steal), Cath(EMP). As you're a new player, you're strongly advised to go Xan(cloak) this round which is called the 'good' race in the game. This is mainly due to Steal being a hard race to play and Cath will see any casual/new player getting owned right from the start. You can change the race of your planet in the preferences page and its half way down the page.

Xan CR seems to be the best possible race/class to go this round weither your experienced or new. Its just awesome

Being Xan(Cloak, Good) will enable you to use simple/awesome strategys which dont require much learning and will allow you to attack more easily. It'll also enable you to defend your galaxy easier as you'll be able to 'fake your fleets' and you should have lower incomings as people will need advanced scans in order to see what ships you have. I'll get into more detail on how to play Xan later in this guide.

The next thing you should do, is accept the quests on your overview screen. To do this, go to the overview page and click 'start' on the 5 different quests which are mid-way down the page.

K, at the top of your screen, you should see white text saying 'click here to use your startup/upgrade bonus', click there. Then click the 'accept resources/roids' button near the top of the page. This will give you your startup resources bonus.

The optimum startup strategy this round, for new players and experienced players, is to start with 300 roids (100 roids of each). So go to the 'mining' page and init 86 of each roids (we only init 86 of each roids, as the quests will give us the missing roids). Do this all at once, i.e. type in 86 into each box and then click the initiate button.

If you're not using your upgrade bonus at tick 0, i.e. your extremly active.. then init to 92 roids

getting up to 300 roids means that you only need to get HTC 2 research, so you can get CR hulls faster. Some players will be getting 450+ but they wont be able to defend against FR attacks for the first 24hours after protection and they're highly likely to get roided to the ground on the first night

In planetarion, you also need to have the relevent research finished in order to mine your asteroids and get income from them. So, you've got 300 roids and if we look here:
http://winter.planetarion.com/manual...rn=25229348658
(Scroll to the bottom until you reach Heavy Cargo Transfer)
You'll be able to see that to mine 300 roids, you'll need Heavy Cargo Transfer level 2 finished. So click the link at the top of the page saying 'CLICK HERE to select your upgrade bonuses or to allocate your startup bonuses.' again. Then at the research section, find the Heavy Cargo Transfer (should be at the bottom of the research section) and type in '1200' to allocate 1200 research points to that research, which should finish level 1 and click the 'allocate research' button. Then type in '1600' into the same box and click the 'allocate research' button again, which should finish level 2 Heavy Cargo Transfers.

Now is the time to decide on what government you would like to be. You can go to the government page by clicking the 'population' button on the sidebar, then at the top of the page click the 'governments' link. Here, you will see a quick rundown of what each government gives you. I would strongly recommend that you go 'Democracy' this round, as you'll want the extra research speed in order to get scans as fast as possible and as you'll need to get all the Hulls researched as fast as possible. However, the choice is entirely yours....(But pick Democracy lol).

This round will probably have a lack of scanners available to use, so the faster you get scans, the better you can play. If you need scans during the round, you can join the channel #scans on netgamers and request from the kind people there. You will also want CR hulls as fast as possible and the travel time, so its the best government this round

The next thing to do is, is to set your population. Click the population link in the sidebar and then move the scrollbars to 25% mining, 50% research and 25% construction. You dont need to change this again, until near the end of the round when you've got all ETA/Hulls and Scans research completed, then you can put some research population into security and constructions. Once you've moved the scrollbars into the correct position click the 'issue new orders' button.

The next thing to sort out, is what ship class you'll want as your 'roiding/main' fleet. This is pretty easy this round, it will be CR which require Hulls level 3. So click the 'CLICK HERE to select your upgrade bonuses or to allocate your startup bonuses.' link at the top of the screen again, Then put 2400 research points into the Ships (Fighter Class Hulls) box and click allocate research points. You will notice, you only have 2800 research points left and the next hulls costs 4800, this doesnt really matter.. put the 2800 research points into the Ships (Frigate Class Hulls) and click allocate research points.

Please Note: If you're active, the optimum strategy here is to wait with using the upgrade bonus and use it when it allows you to complete the hulls research rather than at tick 0, as it grows. However, as this guide is intended for new players who might be less active, its easier for them to do it this way. Also, if you're going to wait with your upgrade bonus, init to 92 roids instead of 86 roids as you wont be taking the extra 6 asteroids at tick 0.

Now click the 'upgrade bonus' link which is near the top of the page in white text. In the upgrade bonus section, you want to select the 'asteroids' button which will give you 6 extra asteroids and the 'research' button which will give you 4000 extra research points to spend. Once you have done this, click the allocate bonus button. Now put 1200 research points into Ships (Frigate Class Hulls) which should finish Hulls level 2. With the 2000 remaining points, put that into Ships (Cruiser Class Hulls).

Now go to the research page, and select Hulls (Siege Weapons) to research and que Heavy Cargo Transfers as your next research. You'll notice it will take you 28ticks to finish the research, so dont really need to be that active during protection for your researches.
After these researches are completed, you will need to research infrastructure level 1 and then work on getting your travel time research and scans research completed, If you get badly roided as soon as you're out of protection, init back up to 300 roids once the incomings have gone.

Your next Heavy Cargo Transfers will be finished just after your first 3 fleets land there attack, so you'll be able to mine all the roids you've stolen!

Go to the constructions page via the construction link and start construction on a heavy factory with an heavy ractory qued up as well. Then click the 'CLICK HERE to select your upgrade bonuses or to allocate your startup bonuses.' at the top of the screen again, and allocate the following to the constructions:
Medium Factory: 1000
Wave Amplifier: 1000
Mistletoe Refinery: 1500
Candycanes Refinery: 1500
Eggnog Refinery: 1500
Research Labratory: 1500
Click the allocate construction points button,Then put your remaining 50 points into the heavy refinery and click the allocate construction points button again.
Once your constructions have finished at tick 8 (meaning you'll need to be online between tick 4 and tick 8 to set your next constructions), you will want another heavy factory and then a research labratory. Then simply spam build finance centres (with a research labratory every 5 constructions until you have 10-12 research labs).. so a res lab for every 16th, 21st, 26th construction to keep your research bonus.

The medium factorys are so you can build FR pods and if needbe, build FR ships to stop some random noob from roiding you at the beginning. The wave amplifier is so you can use landing scans as a last resort to check for defence, The refinerys are for extra resources.. Experienced players may opt for finance centres but for the average player.. refinerys are better. You will want to have 20% of your constructions as research labs for the start-mid round to boost your research speed

Now, go to the alliance page and create an alliance, then scroll to the bottom of the screen and disband your alliance. This is so you complete the quest for more roids.

You have now setup your planet for tick 0 but there are more things to do!

We now need to think about what you're going to do for the first few nights out of protection. At tick 24, you want to be ready to attack with a FR fleet as your CR fleet will not be ready yet. So go to the production screen and build 4500 camels. The trick here, is that as you're a cloaked race.. you do not need to build any fighting ships to accompony those pods, as the person you're attacking will not know weither you've built any or have sent them.

At tick 24, you will want to find 3 targets to attack. You're mainly aiming to hit planets that are in galaxys which are Xan(Cloak,Good) dominated. If the galaxy has afew Ziks.. you will want to avoid that galaxy on the first night. You're aiming for galaxys which are either all Xan or mainly Xan with 1-2 Caths(EMP, Pretty). You can either hit a different galaxy with each fleet or hit one galaxy with 3 fleets.. It doesnt really matter although hitting a different galaxy is probably the more optimum strategy.

Note: You could also build afew prancers/dancers to screw over any Cath who decides to send some defence against you.. i know im probably going to do that but for new players, i wouldnt recommend it

Split your pods, so that there are 1500 in each.. and then attack your targets. The joy of this tactic is, you dont need to be online to check for defence or anything. Its only 1500 pods, it doesnt matter.

Ive chosen this strategy as no Xan will have anti FR at tick 24 and Caths will want to attack rather than stay home and defend, especially if its a wtfsolo attack. Xans who go FR at the start (without rushing CR) are screwed by this tactic, and even Xans who rush CR like this guide.. wont be able to produce CR until you're halfway to there planet, they have a 2hour window to build defence, which is incredibly small and nice for you, considering its only pods!

At tick 28, you'll want to spend all the resources you've been stockpiling on your CR fleet. You will want to spend the resources on Belsnickel and Zwarte Piet ships, although i cant really advise you on the amounts.. As i dont know how many people will be rushing CR at this point. I'd imagine, you'd want roughly equal amounts or more anti CR, i havent played around with the new stats.. so will figure out later on today or tomorrow weither the best solution to fight CR for Xans is FR or BS. REMEMBER TO BUY SOME CR PODS AS WELL

Edit: I think most Xans are now planning on building Rudolph as there anti-CR. So you will want to build more Belsnickel than Zwarte Piet. At this point in time, i'd recommend 80% Belsnickel and 20% Zwarte Piets for your attacking fleet.

As soon as that production has been finished, you will want to go out attacking. Avoid Zik galaxys with this strategy, if you can find a fatty in a random galaxy, hit them. Also, remember you dont need to risk your fleet... You can always send just pods (If you send just pods, send both FR and CR pods to double your chances of getting through).

From now on, keep building up your CR fleet and take over the universe. Have a happy round and a happy christmas

Any errors, please highlight them so i can correct them

Sidenotes: Anyone going Cath this round.. do an all out rush BS for a awesome start. I havent worked out the numbers but i think you can get CR and land it on any Xan before they can build any defences. No other Caths will of bothered building Presents yet, so you'll be good to go. If any Xan does do the init 450 roid strategy, you're going to be one fat cath. Plus.. you can just spambuild snowmen and pwn every Xan for the first 4 days with ease.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Last edited by Light; 17 Dec 2010 at 16:51.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2010, 01:20   #2
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strategy for Winter Round

TLDR Version for experienced/active players:
Start Quests
Take Resource Bonus
Init 92 of each roid
Use startup research on HTC 1 and HTC 2
Set Government to Demo
Set Population to the standard 25/50/25
Put rest of research points into Hulls 1 and Hulls 2.
Set Research to finish hulls 2 with Hulls 3 que'd
Set construction to a heavy fac with a que'd heavy fac
use construction startup on: 2 Med Facs, 1 Wave Amp, 2 of each refinery, 3 Res Labs. 50 Spare points goes onto Heavy fac.
Create then Disband an alliance.
Once Hulls 2 is done, buy some FR pods to roid Xans in Xan heavy gals at tick 24.
Once your upgrade bonus is big enough to complete Hulls 3, take it and complete it.
Build your CR fleet
Win the Round
Plan your EORC
Feel sad when you realise there is no EORC
Make a complaint on the forums that you didnt even get a credit for winning
Vow never to play PA again
Signup to the next round
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Last edited by Light; 17 Dec 2010 at 16:52.
Unread 17 Dec 2010, 01:53   #3
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

TLDR Version of the TLDR Version for RR|Away
1. Click random buttons
2. Get roided by The Horde
3. Emo
Unread 17 Dec 2010, 02:33   #4
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
TLDR Version of the TLDR Version for RR|Away
1. Click random buttons
2. Get roided by The Horde
3. Emo
Ascendancy approves of this post

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2010, 17:01   #5
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Ive looked over the shipstats and for Xan's id recommend

Prancer: 10%
Rudolph: 20%
Zwarte Piet: 20%
Belsnickel: 40%
Knecht Ruprecht: 10%

As a rough guide on what your ship ratios should look like after the first 5days. Its subject to change depending on what people decide to go but...

You've got your anti Co and anti CR as FR, so they provide flak for each other. Then your cruisers can cover anything else and attack successfully while flaking each other against cath BS.