User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Feb 2005, 19:51   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
CPU Fan

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2100 with a bog standard AMD supplied fan.

however its been causing me no end of problems (ive got to the point wherei have to stick a pencil in so it stops suddenly then speeds back up - this is to get it upto a stable rpm level - usually takes a few pokes)

i need another one. one thats not as noisy but will cool better.
currently its running at 4200rpm and the temp is stablish at 52 degrees....

the reason for my 'need' is that i stuck a pencil in but this time one of the fins got damaged and ive had to snap it off :-(((

so

best fan / lowest noise that will keep it all nice and cool please...
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2005, 21:00   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: CPU Fan

what motherboard are you using? i ask as some of the later ones have a strange and yet funky fan mount on them, rather tham requiring the fan to clip straight to the zif socket.
Unread 8 Feb 2005, 21:05   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

asus a7n8x deluxe rev 1004
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 09:55   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Look here.
The SI-97 and the SP-97 are widely regarded as the best socket A coolers money can buy.
They are also pretty damn quiet as they take a 92mm fan, so it can spin slower and still produce lots of airflow. No fan is supplied though, so you'll have to go out and find one. I suggest the 92mm one of these.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 10:28   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

About that ZIF socket, what does this mean?
When I mounted my shiny new boxed cooler on my brand new Athlon64 I had the feeling it was resting right on the CPU, rather than on rubber pads like my socket A Athlon XP. Also it wasn't particulary "Zero Insertion Force" because I had to push quite thoroughly to get the clip stuck on the "holder thingy". It was a scary moment I tell thee. Especially when it wouldn't boot.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 11:05   #6
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Didn't take much trouble getting my heatsink + fan on, neither of them are outrageously large or powerfull, like the 1s on that ThermalRight page, but it works quite nicely.

It seems those fans are quite cheap now tough, might consider upgrading and pushing this CPU further beyond its design specs

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 11:19   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The thermalright ones are large for a reason. They are designed to cool well at very low airflow.
There are many ripoffs of thermalright coolers that look similar but don't perform nearly as well. Yes, thermalright are quite expensive but you get what you pay for - the SI-97 can knock 5 degrees of the temperature of it's competitors, which allows you to run the fan much slower if silence is what you're looking for.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 16:08   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i've found that the zhalman coolers are very good - you should be able to run your processor without a fan on one of the copper fan ones.

zif socket is just the name of the white soket thingy that the processor goes in, no idea what the acronym stands for. it's not uncommon to have to put a lot of pressure on the processor when you install a heatsink tho, as the more pressure between them the better the heat transfer, hence the better the end result.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 18:17   #9
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
About that ZIF socket, what does this mean?
When I mounted my shiny new boxed cooler on my brand new Athlon64 I had the feeling it was resting right on the CPU, rather than on rubber pads like my socket A Athlon XP. Also it wasn't particulary "Zero Insertion Force" because I had to push quite thoroughly to get the clip stuck on the "holder thingy". It was a scary moment I tell thee. Especially when it wouldn't boot.

I am quite certain the ZIF refers to the processor having zero insertion force when being put into the socket, rather than anything to do with the fan. as such
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 18:28   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
I am quite certain the ZIF refers to the processor having zero insertion force when being put into the socket, rather than anything to do with the fan. as such
Ah, I see. I thought it had to do with the cooler being placed on top of it. From what people told me CPU's are quite fragile when it comes to pressure so it seemed logical to assume that ZIF had to do with the cooler being placed on it.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 20:15   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Older ones are.
The newer ones with heatspreaders are better as the heatspreader is a lot stronger.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 22:01   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

So that my Athlon64 seemed to be a lot larger than my 1700XP is because it has a heatspreader?
Cool. And there was I worrying that I was putting the heatsink right on the core.
Unread 10 Feb 2005, 00:10   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Yep. It's partly there to dissipate the heat better (speading it over a larger area means a larger contact area with the heatsink, which means more heat transfer) and it also prevents the sickening "CRACK" of a crushed core, which us AthlonXP users came to dread when installing a heatsink.