User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 27 Feb 2015, 23:21   #1
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Planetarion ReDesign

Hey fellahs, I was planning to do a planetarion redesign for some time now, but atm I don't have the money/time nor the required programming skills to change anything on my own. So I created a little list of changes I would make, with some graphics to get an idea under this link:

http://planetarionredesign.jimdo.com

I know this would cost money, but can't we like just run a kickstarter campagin for Planetarion redesign? Im sure lots of people would be interested in new Themes / gamestyle / designs / functions. Can some admin check these things and tell us what each point would cost approximately? Maybe if its around 5000$ and we can get 500 guys to pay 10$ we can get something done here!
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2015, 23:41   #2
Adapt
Leader Of The Gang

Adapt is just really niceAdapt is just really niceAdapt is just really niceAdapt is just really niceAdapt is just really nice
Re: Planetarion ReDesign

Just had a look mate great ideas would be amazing if the pa team had money to invest in this i recently spoke to Lunar_Lamp and he/she said they invest all there money in facebook/twitter?? i dont understand how they cant afford to advertise or make a few changes to the game to make it more attractive to the players but they would have to explain that themselves but in any case good work man!
Round 81 - Ultores - Rank 73rd.
Round 83 - Ultores - Rank 16th.
Round 91 - Lucky7 - Rank 50th.
Round 92 - Lucky7 - Rank 39th.
Adapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2015, 00:08   #3
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

If anyone would join me in making a android app or linux program in _PYTHON_ you can pm me on irc.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2015, 03:17   #4
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Yes its a necro, but I didn't see it till just now.

While I will go through this list one by one, some of them fall under the same categories, which are money and time. PA has very little of both.

1. Most important is, have someone program an app for PA. yes I know that there is a mobile version, yet it is very clumsy and the bcalc doesn't even have to be mentioned. Program and design should be similar to Galaxy at war, which in my opinion is a very appealing design for a space-based-game (at least the planet overview):

Without a major design rethink, PA is a game of spread sheets. Tables are everywhere, and you cant get rid of them. Not with losing the complexity of why people like to play this game. Games need to be easy to learn, but hard to master.

Most facebook "games" suffer from a quick start (you can build things and there are things to do), followed by a long end (you finished building/researching everything) and there are no resets. So providing an APP was a good idea a few years ago, its going to cost a lot for, not a lot of return in investment.

Seeing as PA is already a web based game, just improve the mobile version of the website (not easy with all the tables). Its a lot easier to code a new CSS file for tablet, as they have the screen space to fit table to a certain degree. I might even try doing one my self as I use a tablet from time to time.

2. Most players nowadays use telegram to chat and settle things. implement a similar chat function withing the game/app, that has 3 channels: [galaxy] [planetarion public] [your alliance]

The reason people use telegram (and others), is you can use them outside of the game, such as at work (in case where your work blocks sites such as PA or your alliances web interface).

3. & 4. Remove Galaxy and Alliance Forum

I was against this at first, but yeah they are not used enough to warrant them.

5. Merge all scans into one scan, except the jgp and the incoming scan, which needs to be researched, because lets face it, close to every player nowadways is in an alliance with a scanner, so theyll get the scans anyway. In my opinion this is just a feature that kills time and is annoying. Have planet scan, all units (+cloaked) and Development info in ONE scan. (There still are Wave amplifier and Distorter though)

TBH I want to do away with scans altogether, but I will be posting a new thread about this at a later date.

6. Make it as easy to search for a target as it is to defend one. Atm I need like 30 min to 1 hour to look for perfect targets (i.e. targets I can hit, that have enough roids, are in a neutral galaxy, are not allied, etc.) You get the idea that it takes a lot of time and is pretty annoying. Whereelse defence, you scan target you send fleet = 1 min... (not for the dc ofc, I am talking about a single person and the majority that plays are not a dc)

There is no easy way to do this, with complexity goes hand in hand with the time sink. To make things easier to calc, you would have to either remove parts of the game, or automate a lot of the tasks such as auto bcalcs on everyone, but then waves would need to be changed to allow all players to get scans.

7. Do this by adding KI pirate planets, that continuously attack and defend. They will always land, unless they loose more than 75% of their fleet. pirate combat will always take place at h:30, to avoid luckfactor, so you cant hit another planet same time as pirates do. This way you can assure some easy targets for newbees and some combat actually happening, not this 1 hour search for target, 10 hours fly, 1 scan and recall, because there is one def fleet whatsoever. You call this a game? This was supposed to be a warbased space game. Nowadays it feels more like a political brokerapp or something, but fights are barely happening.

So who do these pirates attack, the general public, or the noobs? can anyone attack them?

The political drama is a big attraction for this 700 core players. I would say its always been a core of a 1000 players all the way back to r3 when we had 200k planets (90% at least were dual or triple accounts or more).

8. Make salvage bigger. 50% for defender, 25% for attacker. Only for their own lost ships. Increase Defence Xp in case players dont want to defence without salvage. This way you ensure, that there are actually more fights going on in a WAR-game.

Salvage was reduced to stop planets getting "Free" resources at the end of the round. Attackers should not get salvage, but they should be able to cash in the XP gain for resources as a war chest.

9. Remove all Races, bring back techtree. Eonium is not used for building ships. You can build a standard version of ships (current classes are fine), and later add special features (only 1). Like a zikonian steal module, a terran armor module, a xandathrii cloaking device or a cathaar emp-canon. You have to research either one of those first. The cost for all the modules is eonium (equal amount). Basic ship only costs metal and crystal.

Races: Removing all races might not be right, perhaps removing the race bonus's e.g. RU, CU, etc. Although getting rid of ETD sounds nice....

Tech tree: I would love to bring back a more varied techtree.

Ships: I always think that all players start with a base set of 6-8 ships (FI-BS+Pod). The research unlocks 3-4 Ships per ability (clock, Nano, EMP), and players can open up all the abilities.

10. Bring back PDS (planetary Defense system). Laser Canon, Plasma canon, Sonic Emitter, Photon Canon, whatsoever. Salvage remains 50% defenders (also for PDS) and 25% for attackers. (hint: PDS cannot be stolen: duh!)

Hmm no sorry, without a change in game mechanics, PDS are just not work it. You could spend the money on Ships which can move.

11. Remove Pay2win system. Make it freestart for all free2play, add microtransactions. Have a display of your planet in the universe section beneath each player. Have different skins for purchase, like these (but animated when you scrollover a planet) .When a new round starts or game is reset, an account/email/mobile number keeps its purchased skins, which are added to the preferences, from where you can choose from:

Paytowin: There is no paytowin in PA, you get a small bonus from a credit, but you get ALL the game, nothing is restricted. People buy the credits for the bonus, but most people will wait until mid round before using said bonus, which means upgraded planets are at the same (ish) level at the start.

Skins: Accounts are persistent now, so you would only need to buy a skin once and assign it to your account.

12. Implement the game into steam, add a workshop where players can build their own skins and have some skins for your ships to buy + allianceskins to choose up in front, like these (+ Have those ships displayed in incoming section, through a popup when holding onto a fleet's name, so one does right away know who's coming):

I dont think people would buy any skins for PA and even if they did after the initial surge, there are only 700 players, not a lot of repeat business there.

13. When you scan somebody, have a bcalc button right below, that automatically inserts your ship to attack and the scanned planet to defence, or if the scan is on an incoming planet vice versa. All to save time for us lazy guys that actually have to work and not so much time :P

How does I know what ships of your own to put in the bcalc?

14. Have a similar get started / Tutorial like in "galaxy at war" app.

A better manual is needed.

15. Add a white flag option. Ships and PDS wont fire, attacker just takes roids and leaves, he cannot destroy structures.

Unless your at war with an alliance, not many people use structure killers, as they are outside the pod fleets, and cost

16. Have your account confirmed by mobile number, to reduce cheating.

Is their cheating still in PA? I think multihunters do a pretty good job. If it were to gain an increase of players then yes introducing this could help, but then I have multiple phones I could use, and you can get a simcard for 99p.

Usually using mobiles is a way to prevent unauthorized access.

17. Add a research for a Shield for your planet, and then build one or many Shield generators, that can prevent a certain amount of enemy fire before it collapses.

Just remove structure killers.

18. New players are starting in a different "outer rim" universe alongside with some pirates to learn the game mechanics. They cannot launch to the real universe and vice versa. After you reach a certain score you can enter buddypackcode or be transfered to a galaxy in the real universe randomly, to prevent noob-bashing. (Similar to protection, but a little longer, so there's time to find an alliance and learn the game)

Players get a 24 hour protection period to get aquainted with the game, it does need a better manual.

19. Have an awesome game opening title, like this one, only it says Planetarion:

Mobile usage is a factor here, and things like flash are dying off. and it wouldnt add anything into the game.

20. Let player colorize and design their names, like in Trackmania/Quake/Wolfenstein:

Oh god no.... We are trying to be a more serious strategy game, not arcade FPS. Also you would end up with lots and lots on penis's.

21. Add alliance tags in game shown in front of the rulername.

This was allowed in R2 and R3 but it just means this, no one would join an alliance, because they want to stay anonymous. An alliance can kill another alliance fairly easy with tags on.

22. When scrolling over a planet in galaxy view, have a popup that shows a bigger animated version of the planetskin, the possible scans, the email button and alliance.

While a planet picture is nice, the better option would be a race icon / portrait.

23. Add a timer for buildings/researches/productions to show when they are finished, like in ogame/galaxy at war. Show continuous growing of resources while online:

there already is that on the header...

24. Add 4-6 different Generals/Commanders/Admirals to population, they will cost a fee like security guards. They give bonus to the fleet they command. Like + 2% xp, + 2% Armor, reduce travel time by 1 hour, get 10% more salvage, + 2% firepower, etc. (have to be implemented into the bcalc. You can have all generals at the same time, but only get the bonus depending on which commander you assigned to which fleet. (base is also a fleet)

I'll refer to my post once I do it.

25. Add an awesome space-based soundtrack, like those:

Wow thats gonna take thousands of $$$$ to get good quality music, and I doubt very much that the community will help that much. On top of that this is a browser game, not an FPS/RTS. There are no fancy 3d graphics/music, so music is pretty useless.

26. Dont ever ever add some stupid shit like dark matter to make the game pay2win or it will die instantly again.

Wtf dude. there are only 700 people player these days, I hope that they DO add something to finally shut it down. Because someone somewhere will think of creating a PA that should have existed after round 10, which is where I think the game ended.

27. After all the changes and graphics are ready, have them tested in a beta and later do some advertisment to get more player attracted again. = fun.

These is a beta server, but thats only for testing stats mainly. Advertisements cost money, and the current owners dont even show the game on their "gaming" website. They have owned PA for a good long time, and wont sell unless for a stupid amount (guessing but it makes sense).

28. Super Expensive option. Create a story where ki galaxies belonging to the Planetary defense alliance are at war with a foreign race "Returner" or something and you can either join them solo or as a whole galaxy/alliance and will get missions or fight one or both of them and will get attacked too. Its basically similar to a raid in world of warcraft.

A story line would only be good for an introduction to the game, current galaxy mechanics lack the needed room to create "Rim" areas.

Summary:

PA suffers from the night only activity (europeans 2am-4am launch times), which puts off most gamers. Its lack of appeal also comes down to appearance, initial complexity, lack of advertisement, no immediate action.

We could do what I believe AD2460 has done and its instant attacks, with no real consequence. But that leaves no team work, which is a big draw for the remaining players. Ask most PA players of old, and most will give you a fond remembrance of it.

But suffice to say, that we are beating around the bush, and PA isn't funded enough to get the development it needs. Adding facebook or anything similar will actually change the game enough that its not PA.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2015, 18:55   #5
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Cool thanks for the massive reply!!

1. Agreed, though with this "spreadsheetstyle" you really have difficulties attracting new players.

2. Agreed

3. Maybe instead of the useless forums give Galaxy Commanders/ MoCs / AllyHcs a field in politics/ally options, where they can put in irc channel, Whazzup/Telegram number for contact and have them sent to new players automatically or as a field in the overview.

5. Top!

7. Yeah its pretty much the decision do we want to keep the existing 700 core players and let it run forever or loose maybe around 200-300 with some major changes but have the abilty to gain 500-10000?

8. Agreed

9. Sounds good to me!

10. Probably right

13. Implement checkbox for attack fleet as seen in ally def page.

19. It adds style and a heart, I dont see a way of attracting new players with the current gfx..

20. Then at least Alliancetags or something, it gives player chance to impress themselves, penises can removed easily, like offensive names are removed quite fast. And as I wrote there would be a toggle on/off option for this. Those are all ideas to attract more new players.

26. Yeah it died long ago, Imean dont ever add darkmatter shit AFTER someone created a new better version!

Summary: Yep totally I agree!
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote