User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 May 2009, 18:08   #1
Fuzzy
White Van Man Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Spider Jump Champion

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold
flat subletting?

basically i signed a contract a few months back for a place to live from 01 july 09 - 30th june 10.

thing is im suspending my university studies until next january, and id much rather be living at home and working than staying here to do it (and paying a large sum of rent)

are there any ways i can go about letting someone else live in my flat/room instead of me for a 6 month period, or even for the duration of the contract?

i signed what may be a pre-contract and paid a deposit (a substantial figure...i think possibly around £1k, cant really remember) though i still have a contract here which im stil to return to them...

any info on this for a clueless noob would be much appreciated
#1 gal r29 - 1:10 ftw \o/
son of BENNEH, brother of bread| (former son of eksero )

"You cant say an alliance lost, when they finished 2nd" - Light, 2009
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 18:46   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: flat subletting?

1) READ THE DAMN CONTRACT DON'T ASK STRANGERS TO IMAGINE WHAT IT SAYS
2) do you mind losing the deposit?
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:22   #3
Fuzzy

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold

1/ ill read the contract now but its like a dozen pages and legal mumbo jumbo...i figured getting a ROUGH idea of the situation from people with an understanding might be beneficial.

2/ ill have to find out how much it is...if its a large sum of money then yes

Unread 14 May 2009, 19:24   #4
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Something similar happened to me a few years back. I went to the flat owner and he just started looking for new people to rent the flat - found one, and I was off the hook. I did lose my deposit though.

Not sure what would have happened if he didn't find anyone though.. I know I was bracing myself to pay for a room I wasn't going to be using

That said, I don't have any actual 'knowledgeable' advice to offer! So this post was pretty pointless <3 I just love yahwe - if I see him post I get drawn to the thread and feel compelled to post.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:31   #5
Fuzzy

hmmm i wouldnt be too bothered about losing my deposit if it was a few hundred quid but i think its at least 600 - and possibly 1k, so no point losing that

im assuming youd signed the contract by this point newt? how long was it before you were meant to move in that you went to the landlord?

Unread 14 May 2009, 19:40   #6
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Yeah I'd signed my contract, and it was quite a while before we moved into the place, at least a month probably.

Is your landlord a university-recommended-one? Forgotten all the lingo, but at nottingham university they recommended landlords for students to rent houses off. They also offered help and extra... "guarantees" for students running into standard student problems. Infact, I think the contract itself was a university-standard-one.

Or so.

I think my point is, you might want to try your university's relevent department for advice. I'm sure they will have encountered problems like this many times.
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:45   #7
Fuzzy

ah, i dont move into this place for 6 weeks, so there still may be time.

i believe he is recommended by the university, says he has been working with them for years and stuff so ill see. i got a meeting with my department head tomorrow so ill ask him if the uni has a department i can speak to about this for advice.

cant ask my flatmates to help out as theyre being ****s about it. from the sounds of it theyd rather me pay £2000 for a room i have no intention to use than have to share a house with someone they may not know. boring, reserved, spoilt, no fun middle class idiots that they are

Unread 14 May 2009, 20:03   #8
newt
Banned

hehe, sounds a lot like me! My mates were fine with it though, but assumed they would be able to choose who finally took over my room - iirc the landlord implied they'd have the final say (and I'd keep paying until someone cool was found).

They got stuck with a bit of a freak Well, a huge freak. And considering its me thats saying he was a huge freak, by your standards he was probably a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE freak. [exaggeration, but don't think they had much fun with him]. So can understand your flatemates' worries!

Also, I think our set up was that we had to pay a £400 deposit each, as well as the first month's rent, in advance. Probably ~£650 in total - I'm pretty sure I got the rent-part back! Or I can remember recieving a cheque from the landlord once a new guy had signed his contract.

I'll also add that I just went to the landlord, and didn't talk to my university. Could be I probably could have got all my money back and got ripped off.... but I was just so relieved I didn't care about the £400
Unread 14 May 2009, 20:11   #9
Fuzzy

yeah id settle for a loss of 300-400 tbh...but ill speak to the uni anyway if theres anyone there to speak to

i think i did the same as you, paid deposit and then first rent payment, which is why its so much, but if i WERE to get a rent payment back that mightnt be too bad

anyway im not going to get my hopes up

Unread 14 May 2009, 20:46   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
1/ ill read the contract now but its like a dozen pages and legal mumbo jumbo...i figured getting a ROUGH idea of the situation from people with an understanding might be beneficial.

2/ ill have to find out how much it is...if its a large sum of money then yes
1) it's not "legal mumbo jumbo" it is English and you will manage

2) as ever. learn how large then consider
Unread 14 May 2009, 20:51   #11
newt
Banned

Well, the department will be the general 'student union support' or similar - just going to the student union and looking at the notice board would probably be enough to point you in the right direction....or talking with the department head would also do the job ;p

On the offchance you do meet with people in-the-know, I'd be taking the house contract with you into uni tomorrow!

Now I've decided to re-read your first post! You might be running into problems cos you'd be after someone taking over your room for just half the year (not many will be interested in that..) ... yeh I wouldn't be getting your hopes up
Unread 14 May 2009, 21:08   #12
Fuzzy

nah, id be happy to let them take the room for the whole year and then look for somewhere on my own for 6 months next year from january. i might be able to sort something with people i know due to the studying abroad shit etc. getting somewhere new in january IF i could offload my current contract isnt a problem, its just getting rid of this contract and the huge financial burden /o\

i guess my contract will provide me with some reading material tonight

Unread 14 May 2009, 21:22   #13
newt
Banned

ah good luck then. Just make sure all this doesn't get in the way of your WAFHH duties!! Don't want wishmaster getting distracted for 20mins to sort out attacks and such Playing turn-based games with him is slow enough without the odd 20min irc-break.