User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jul 2005, 17:28   #1
JimyT
Bum

JimyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Production

I got this idea from reading Ali's idea about the gal fund (which i agree with completely btw), how bout instead of production by number of ships you do it by resources? Either that or you can make it so you can buy by number or resource. Just cause then its much easier to buy in ratios...at least i would think so.

(btw first post, hi PA)
JimyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 23:42   #2
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Production

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

only if you really wanted to THINK about how many ships you were building, and how much each cost,...

why is putting in the cost for each ship, (over THREE resources) easier then going,... " 1 " for the amount of ships you want?????????????

Though keep the idea's comming,.... don't let the flamers put you off, and they will come.,..
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 00:42   #3
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I think the system works fine as it is.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 04:06   #4
The Master

part of the game is exploiting value holes like that, so lets give them a greater chance of leaving one. bad idea imo.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 04:42   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

over-complicates things needlessly.
If someone wants such a calc, theres nothing stopping them from coding one
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 19:20   #6
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Surely lack of programming skills would be an obstacle to making such a calc, phil?
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 10:04   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yeah, i'm a terrible programmer =

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimyT
how bout instead of production by number of ships you do it by resources? Either that or you can make it so you can buy by number or resource. Just cause then its much easier to buy in ratios...at least i would think so.
So, you'd want to buy 100 000 resources worth of Vsh FI? If that was the case, would you make it 100 000 resources of metal, crystal or eonium, or overall 100 000 resources?

I see (to a large extent) what you are getting at - however, i dont think this is the way to go about it. Production is fairly simple - and it only takes a min or two to work out roughly how many ships you want in a ratio, ie its roughly two Vsh FI to build a Dagger etc.

Feel free to develop your idea though .

Quote:
(btw first post, hi PA)
Welcome .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 13:15   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Agreed with most of the comments - it's not really *that* difficult to work it out
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 18:52   #9
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

kamikaze69 is an unknown quantity at this point

you could also inadvertently miscode your calculations in game and obtain loopholes easier.....

eg.

If miscoded, you could order 100000 of each resource to VSH FI use up the 100000 of each resource, but only get 384 FI!!!

NB: 384 VSH FI is only 99840 of each resource

I want what is rightfully MINE . I have much, but need MUCH MORE !!!

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
kamikaze69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 14:56   #10
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

how about setting up production by percentage. so you can buy say 25% of your resources worth of fighters, 50% futher could be anti-co ships, and the last 25% could be just leftover. or whatever. Not sure what the benefits would be, as atm i just guess these figures anyway.
could even make an auto-produce option. set prod page to spend 25% of your res every 5 ticks or so. this will, i think, help all players but its a bit risky with getting caught with fleet sat at base.
just a passing thought.
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 15:10   #11
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

that still raises the coding issue I mentioned above.....

if you want 25% worth of resources in FI and you have some really random number that means that you use 24.92% of your resources then the other .08% goes into the aether.

the auto-build option is a bad idea as well because that promotes inactiveness and that's not the point.

Any more ideas???

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 7 Jul 2005, 23:19   #12
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

tbh, i knew they were bad ideas. but i was hoping someone could elaborate on them and thus get something useful from them.
heard the band QED???
Unread 8 Jul 2005, 07:22   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

well, with that % function, you could input 25% into the Harpy field (instead of just 25, which would of course order 25 harpies) - the 25% would then spend up to one quarter of the race's skewed resource (ie, Terran M, Cathaar C, Zik E and Xan is just the least abundant resource - or M whichever) on that type of ship. Already, there is code that provides cutoff measures for overspending - like if you type in 99999 harpies, but can only affort 487, it will still only build 487 and the excess resources are not 'lost to the ether'.

the % symbol would effective provide a constraint on the total number of resources that you have - ie, instead of seeing 1 000 000 M available as per the current system, by typing in 25% it would only see 250 000 Metal and from there remain the same.

did that make sense?
Unread 8 Jul 2005, 13:52   #14
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

that system is already implemented Ultimate Newbie???

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 8 Jul 2005, 14:57   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

no
Unread 8 Jul 2005, 15:57   #16
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

what if u put in more then 100%?
say 25% harpeys and 76% phoenix,...
would it come back error? or would one take priority?
Unread 8 Jul 2005, 18:35   #17
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

one would have to take priority like it does now. not totally sure about this, but i think it cuts-off the most expensive ships you ordered until you can afford whats left.
Unread 8 Jul 2005, 21:04   #18
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

ofcourse you would try to find a way to cheat being a terran Rocko............

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 9 Jul 2005, 03:07   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko
would it come back error? or would one take priority?
Well, i presume it would happen like it does now - if you order 999999 harpies and then 999999 phoenix, and you cant afford all the ships, the full number of harpies are built and as many as you can afford of the Phoenix are built. It apparently goes from top to bottom - ie Harpy, then Phoenix, then Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships, SK.
Unread 9 Jul 2005, 08:07   #20
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

basically chronological order...hmmm...kinda makes sense since that is the way most things are programmed nowadays...hmmm...

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 9 Jul 2005, 16:08   #21
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

can you put in something like a toggleswitch so that if you are silly enough to over-order you at least get the ships you want most.
Unread 9 Jul 2005, 17:07   #22
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

dude, these programmers are not superman programmers (since I am not one either), and besides we don't want to be coming up with these new ideas this close to the opening of the game.

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 11 Jul 2005, 11:06   #23
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

hey, i cant turn off my inspiration (lacking though it is). but yeah, fair point about the coders.