User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jun 2004, 21:09   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Death & Taxes

No death, just taxes.

A mate of mine was recently given £3,000 from his new employer as a relocation fee.
I'm pretty sure this money wasn't declared to the tax man by his employer since all he got was a cheque, not in his pay packet.

So, does he have to declare it? He's already banked it and stuck it in a high interest account. It was given to him in February, so last tax year (the tax year ends in April). I assume he can just declare it as part of last year's income and they'll charge him the income tax on it. But how likely is it that the Inland Revenue will find out about it if he never declares it?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2004, 21:10   #2
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Death & Taxes

Probably just doubled now you've posted this
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2004, 21:19   #3
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

The Inland Revenue knows all and sees all.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2004, 22:57   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
The Inland Revenue knows all and sees all.
That's what I thought.
But now I'm think maybe that's just propoganda propagated by "The Man".
Unread 9 Jun 2004, 23:09   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if they find out later down the line

he will be done for tax evasion

its much better to just declare it because you have no idea if one day he will have to open the books over something else and it will be seen.

then he will be buggered up the ass with a tree.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2004, 23:15   #6
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
No death, just taxes.

A mate of mine was recently given £3,000 from his new employer as a relocation fee.
I'm pretty sure this money wasn't declared to the tax man by his employer since all he got was a cheque, not in his pay packet.

So, does he have to declare it? He's already banked it and stuck it in a high interest account. It was given to him in February, so last tax year (the tax year ends in April). I assume he can just declare it as part of last year's income and they'll charge him the income tax on it. But how likely is it that the Inland Revenue will find out about it if he never declares it?
Don`t know what I`m talking about but; are relocation fees taxable? Can`t be your mates responsiblity. Is his new employer soon to go into receivership per chance?

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2004, 23:17   #7
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
then he will be buggered up the ass with a tree.
I knew the Department for Anal Forestry must have been for something...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 09:11   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
are relocation fees taxable?
Yes. They are money given to you as income, therefore you need to pay income tax. I'm not sure if you have to pay National Insurance as well, or Student Loan repayments. If you do though then my mate could be liable for up to 41% tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Can`t be your mates responsiblity. Is his new employer soon to go into receivership per chance?

It is my mate's responsibility. His employer is responsible for making sure his pay packet is taxed correctly, but this wasn't part of his pay packet, he wasn't strictly speaking an employee when they gave him the money.
And no, they are not about to go into receivership, if they were then they wouldn't be chucking wads of cash at their employees.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 09:25   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i dont think that you have to pay income tax on relocation allowances as they dont count as income as such...
but i would have to look it up

EDIT: looks like it sort of depends really

If your employer helps you to move home because of your job, any payments you receive, or any goods or services provided for you, are treated as part of your earnings for tax and NICs purposes. However, the first £8,000 of any help you get from your employer is exempt from tax and NICs as long as certain conditions are met.

the full form (which i would suggest he reads as i have only scanned it) can be found at

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir134.htm

Last edited by roadrunner_0; 10 Jun 2004 at 09:31.
roadrunner_0 is offline   Reply With Quote