User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Dec 2002, 21:04   #51
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by WST
if you're testing a game that's for all the players, you should have a sample of all the players. ask people to rate their skill, tell their playing style etc, and choose a stratified sample from that. that way, you get a truly representative sample, and therefore one with more credibility.
No no no no no!

Alpha testing: Coders, bots, and a core test team with a knowledge of statistics and a willingness to play out scenarios and report every bug/problem they find.

Early beta: As above but with a selection of players who have applied to join the beta as well. If they don't understand what a beta is about then drop them with no warnings. Beta testing is exactly that, testing not just playing.

Late beta: As above, a random selection of people who want to do it but much larger, several hundred at least.

That way any major problems with stats etc are (theoretically) ironed out before the beta even starts and only Spinner's famous 'tweaking' should need to be done in beta. If 100 players are told to attack 1:1:1 with their entire fleet at 12:00 while 100 defend it to test a 'real life' large scale battle it should happen with no complaints, it's a test not a game.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 21:18   #52
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
"Are you:"
A. a **** player
B. a bad player
C. an average player
D. a good player
E. a ****ing excellent player

I wonder which ones people won't own up to...
Besides that, there is very little skill involved in playing PA, so its debatable if there can even exist any real bad players in the current playerbase, which comes back to the issue of making the game "noob"-friendly.
c for me ingame

d for alliance issues

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 21:20   #53
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
heh

id be sumwhere between D and E

IX
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 21:26   #54
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
err...not entirely sure why people are answering the question...it was meant to illustrate that people wouldn't (necessarily) be honest in rating their playing ability...
Unread 25 Dec 2002, 00:46   #55
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Planetarion has always seemed to me to be a little like chess - a slight alteration of the rules anywhere will create a massive effect on the game. 99.9% of players simply cannot appreciate the ramifications of suggested changes and dont see the obvious areas of abuse.

Even I have put forward ideas on occasions that people have said 'thats crap because of x'.

Unfortunatley the changes people have always concentrated on are either shipstats (which are largely irrelevant) or 'new additions' which again do not fix any problems but simply gloss over them. Campaigns to lower the galaxy size to 15 or less and get rid of low-donating-high took ages as the change was seen as minor thus irrelevant when its really the little things that make the game, not the major.

Pretty meaningless rant by me though. Until beta's are sorted, and one person alone *cough* petru *cough* is given ultimate un-overridable control of everything it'll always be a shambles due to the pa-crew rank-pullers.
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 05:46   #56
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
seems like ppl I have always trusted still support Petru, so I gotta support him too!

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 14:10   #57
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by Galaxian
Who are you? Seriously. I've never heard of you.
Steve_G is a world champion Pokemon card player.

Fear.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 06:57   #58
Steve_G

Steve_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
Steve_G is a world champion Pokemon card player.

Fear.
*cough* was *cough*
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 11:46   #59
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
I retract my recommendation

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
Invite this guy to be a tester, people that can post and make their views clear are important.
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_G
ive already had a long discussion with him earlier today heh

he seems to be tester material for sure
Quote:
Originally posted by r72dk
I guess you speak on your person only.
Ever considered the fact that 70% players of this game, or those we aim to start playing the game dont have the possibilities or contacts or defence available you have ?

If you want more examples.... i was given a dying planet at mid round just for having a bit of fun.... i had between 500- 700 init roids and between 1,5 - 2 mil score if that much, i had incomigns for whole week and havent lost a single roid and killed most fleets that didnt recall. How did that happen, because i knew some high scored mates. How many newbies have that possibilities ? 1% if that much......
Cheaters should not be invited.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:26   #60
r72dk

r72dk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I retract my recommendation

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
Cheaters should not be invited.
Passing judgements without knowing ppl is a wonder, i could go on explainations on why and how it could be done, how if i was a BIG PA name that would be so easy and id be acclaimed for that, instead of a cheater.

But anyways, for someone who changes his opinion in a matter of days WITHOUT knowing even the person in question nor having a single chat or pm, gives a lot to wonder about....

And you see, this one aspects i truly dislike in this game, reputation and plain arrogance are needed to be someone *sigh*

r72dk
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:32   #61
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Re: I retract my recommendation

Quote:
Originally posted by r72dk
And you see, this one aspects i truly dislike in this game, reputation and plain arrogance are needed to be someone *sigh*

r72dk
Only if by 'someone' you mean a 'celeb'. You can become 'someone' simply by being sensible Of course to get well known you have to post high quality and often but nothing comes for free. The 'forums route' to fame and fortune is easy, being a game celeb is much harder and you need to actually be good at it
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:37   #62
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
There are many ways to become a PA celeb, be on the crew; be a twat; be ace ingame; pull off an insane stunt; be an attention whore. See if you can match names to that list :op
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:43   #63
r72dk

Chances for that all i might have had them before plenty, alliance positions, top ranks had them and so on..

... there´s jsut this one thing that is licking and patience to endure somethg for void rewards such as fame, which i just am not able to go through....

If there are ppl that can pass judgement on me, are those whom ive met and talked and played with, want to know more talk to them.. not going to carry on this flaming quest.

r72dk
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:52   #64
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
You first came across as an overly willing helper who thought you could make a difference, which isn’t a bad thing, yet now you sound as if all you want is a bit of fame. It's hard not to pass judgement, as that’s how you make most decisions, there's a line between a flame and a decent argument. You insist you're a n00b within your sig.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 19:19   #65
r72dk

Its amazing the interpretations ppl give to the actions we make.

Yes ive come as an overly willing helper as ive always been everywhere ive been in PA, just ask..
I thought i could make a diference, maybe i did, even if my original was make a diference as in making some ppl conscious of some crucial points in this game.. so maybe wasnt me to make a difference but rather calling others attentions for them to make it...
All i want is fame... left to everyone´s judgement, but ill let you know this, im leaving PA again, i might dwindle in IRC for some more time as ive seen some old mates and am liking to share some time with them, but wasnt it this replies, you wouldnt see e posting much more in here...
As for fame or watever stuff you accuse me, ill leave my share for all that want it.

Seeing most ive got is silence, well, ive tried my part, tried to help in this process of conciousness, didnt work out, ill carry on my life as i was doing it for the past months away from PA.

r72dk
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 13:25   #66
Kill
Banned

Kill is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
Killmark wasn't in any recent beta I can recall, nor were there any bots.

Trust me. Everytime you attacked someone, they either pm'd you on irc or mailed to complain.
Beta for r4/5/6/7

I never did the beta for r8 as I couldn't be arsed hiding from petru as I usually have to.

Omen Incorporated CEO

Heresy CEO [=H=]
"Born of Heresy"

<milkey> its four am ..
<milkey> youre freaking crazy
<Killmark> 4.20
<Killmark>
<milkey> dont matter
<Killmark> i need roidies!
Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 14:57   #67
Steve_G

Steve_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kill
Beta for r4/5/6/7

I never did the beta for r8 as I couldn't be arsed hiding from petru as I usually have to.

he was cought most of those betas too heh
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:13   #68
Oreo

Hehe I dont know whether to laugh or cry. Whoever is going to do the job, best of luck.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:23   #69
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Oreo
Hehe I dont know whether to laugh or cry. Whoever is going to do the job, best of luck.
You did a great job cookie boy!
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 22:41   #70
Argilus
KniV HC

Argilus is an unknown quantity at this point
Oreo tha beta dude

Long hrs of testing with ya, those were the times
All through the night.

Argilus, Seraphim Guardian Angel
Argilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:39   #71
Shae

R72DK is doing his share and I can vouch for that...If it wernt for him then I would not have come back as much as I have...I agree 110% with everything r7 has said and I commend Kloopy on his statements...I just hope PA is goin to come back and I will be as happy as ever....I am willing to do anything in my power for PA...wich unless it is Mechanical Engineering (and i am still working on that degree) wont be much. lol

Shae/Tex
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 00:44   #72
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Oreo
hohoho!
Kommer du tilbake cookie?

Spille som fan nå!

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 02:56   #73
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Petru is the greatest player I've ever worked with.

My only true sadness of this game was pissing him off. several times

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 22:13   #74
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy
Petru is the greatest player I've ever worked with.

My only true sadness of this game was pissing him off. several times
You just have a knack for it, it's always excuseable though as you never actually mean to do it, verbal clumsiness

Looks like Snipper's going to be running the beta's from now on judging from the announcement, no clue what's going to happen, still not been told anything

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 22:58   #75
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like a great idea..i would love ot be involved....

If done properly..it cvould vastly increase the games effectivness...find the bugs before the round start instead of during the round which just = more down time to fix them....

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote