User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:41   #1
Steve_G

Steve_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem with Civ3

whenever i install it and try to play it, it ****s up my comp, lines across the screen and i gotta ctrl-alt-dlt and guess which proggy im closing

anyone else have this prob?

any ideas on how to fix it?

my comps fairly decent the only thing i can think of is possibly my video card

Nvidea Geforce2 MX 400 64 bit
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:49   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Take your civ3 cd.
Throw it out off the window.

Problem fixed.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:53   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Well, with Voodoo 6 it has been rolling fine with no real problems.
Dunno then.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:58   #4
Steve_G

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Take your civ3 cd.
Throw it out off the window.

Problem fixed.
heh

dont own the CD, this is from a rip, tho exact same thing happened when i tried playing it off a friends CD awhile back
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 15:00   #5
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Hmm. Then its not the cd thats ****ed.

Have you defragged and checked for errors? It has helped me more then once when i had "smaller" problems like that.
If not, try to change your graphic settings etc, read the readme and find out what settings are recomended.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 15:06   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
try patch it before running it.
mine's 1.29f (not necessarily the newest, but runs fine for me).
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 15:29   #7
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
warez are bad mmkay?

(you got cable fs, just go redownload it from kazaa)
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 16:20   #8
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never had any problems with it, and the graphics on my computer (a laptop even) are ****. All I can suggest is try the 1.29 patch, and if that doesn't work, time for a new computer.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 17:32   #9
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a smilar problem, which was due to the monitor refresh rate.
It would crash when running the video when the game loads.

If you have the default monitor drivers installed, install the drivers for the monitor you are using in the Display Properties and set the best refresh rate your monitor will run too.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 17:40   #10
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
"why isnt my rip working? I got it from a reliable site called www.0wnj00n00bs.com and been assured by my faithful warez freind N3r0Z that it doesnt have any problems/trjoans/viruses and it only took 15 reconnects before downloading was complete"

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 17:43   #11
Car'a'carn

try getting latest driver off the nvidia website
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 22:40   #12
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Car'a'carn
try getting latest driver off the nvidia website
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 22:42   #13
Steve_G

all my drivers are always updated, and this is a generic monitor that can only go up to 60 hz refresh rate, maybe thats the prob
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 23:01   #14
Steve_G

yer its an older monitor all right heh

NEC MULTISYNC 3FGX

cant even find any drivers for the fkin thing
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 23:46   #15
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
monitor drivers don't usually matter :/
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 00:13   #16
Steve_G

its the only thing on my computer thats out of date, and im guessing the refresh rate isnt high enough to run civ3 so thats what causes the problems
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 08:22   #17
Lanceman
milchjiper

Lanceman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_G
its the only thing on my computer thats out of date, and im guessing the refresh rate isnt high enough to run civ3 so thats what causes the problems
Refresh rate not high enough?
As long as the monitor is able to display the needed screen resolution and the needed colour settings then there shouldn't be a problem with the monitor.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 11:28   #18
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
On my comp Civ3 insisted on changing refresh rates/screen resulotion to maximum allowed..which kinda was a problem since i was using generic monitor driver and a ****e monitor...

there was something you could do about it in the init-settings though.. something like "keepres = 1"...
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 11:51   #19
Karmulian

I found i had that problem when running it under my ATI Radeon
i would get as far as the menu screen but then it would seaze up, and i needed a reboot before the machine went back to normal

I tried the path, which let me get intot he game itself

but again bombed me out

this was about 1month ago.. nto tried since then ( and oddly enough its a legal copy)
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 22:53   #20
Steve_G

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
On my comp Civ3 insisted on changing refresh rates/screen resulotion to maximum allowed..which kinda was a problem since i was using generic monitor driver and a ****e monitor...

there was something you could do about it in the init-settings though.. something like "keepres = 1"...

hrmm where could i find this?
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 14:52   #21
wu_trax

not really on topic, but: did anyone try this x-pack yet? it clearly rocks \o/
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 15:03   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why on earth do you want to play Civ 3? It's by far the weakest out of it, civ 2 and alpha centauri.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 15:07   #23
Steve_G

ive never played any, spose im gonna dl 2 and give it a try
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 16:34   #24
Scoot951
Das Scoot

I downloaded 2 just a bit ago, playing it for nostalgia...I'd say 3 > 2 in pretty much every area, except for the fact that corruption in 3 is unreasonably high.

Other than graphics and a few smaller things tho, they're pretty similar.

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 16:56   #25
Steve_G

centauri does the exact same thing as civ3
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 17:49   #26
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
I downloaded 2 just a bit ago, playing it for nostalgia...I'd say 3 > 2 in pretty much every area, except for the fact that corruption in 3 is unreasonably high.

Other than graphics and a few smaller things tho, they're pretty similar.
The corruption was reduced in a patch.
I guess the warez version is the original release.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 19:48   #27
Scoot951
Das Scoot

They have a new patch after 1.29? That's the last I played before I uninstalled it for HD space, and corruption still seemed pretty high to me.

(And I actually paid for this game, thank you very much )