User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 4 Mar 2005, 15:11   #1
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
[Declined] xan pods

make them cloaked. pretty simple really would be alot of fun, and would bring back the basics of xan being cloaked. so the pods are only scannable with fleet scans, yet u can see the rest of the fleet in a unit scan.
Unread 4 Mar 2005, 17:14   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: xan pods

They shot down my suggestion to bring back 'real' cloaking, so don't hold your breath on this one.

Though I'd rather have cloaked ships than pods, something is better than nothing.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 13:17   #3
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

yes i read ur thread, so i thought of an alternative, seems xan was the only race stripped of its rareity

but i have to keep saying the limitless tactics involved with cloaked pods
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:48   #4
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, it is an interesting change from "the norm", where the ships were cloaked but the pods weren't.

Cloaking the pods makes perfect sense, actually.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:53   #5
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like it. I've tried to think of problems with it, but all of them are tactical rather than practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
Cloaking the pods makes perfect sense, actually.
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 13:58   #6
The Seal
*idle*

The Seal is on a distinguished road

but... if I am not going xan... I would have to guess what is coming

hehe,
Sounds fun

The Seal
Unread 7 Mar 2005, 11:25   #7
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

am lost in this idea because cloaked ships wont be excepted but you want pods cloaked but not the rest of the fleet?
As the only cloaking they have so far is you cant fleet scan any ship at the moment not even pods (which you say we should be able to) so in theory aint pods already cloaked by the fact you cant fleet scan them?
and if someone sent 50k ships I am gonna know its daggers so unless every ship is cloaked (but can be fleet scanned) then this idea is just an idea that can't make a difference.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 7 Mar 2005, 18:35   #8
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
am lost in this idea because cloaked ships wont be excepted but you want pods cloaked but not the rest of the fleet?
As the only cloaking they have so far is you cant fleet scan any ship at the moment not even pods (which you say we should be able to) so in theory aint pods already cloaked by the fact you cant fleet scan them?
and if someone sent 50k ships I am gonna know its daggers so unless every ship is cloaked (but can be fleet scanned) then this idea is just an idea that can't make a difference.
i think they implied an 'all or nothing' suggestion to cloaking there...
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 09:37   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
i think they implied an 'all or nothing' suggestion to cloaking there...
Which has been rejected more than once

Unread 8 Mar 2005, 16:32   #10
Cochese
Retired

It worked fine before, so I really don't see the problem with it 'all of a sudden'...

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 17:29   #11
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
It worked fine before, so I really don't see the problem with it 'all of a sudden'...
Did'nt we have Mil scans then?

I dont like the idea of a pure invisble fleet that we could never know what it is.
Makes you invincible.

I missed a few rounds so shout at me if I am wrong about mil scan coz i don't know when they binned it.

Unread 8 Mar 2005, 17:50   #12
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Did'nt we have Mil scans then?

I dont like the idea of a pure invisble fleet that we could never know what it is.
Makes you invincible.
Yes, we had mil scans then...but we don't have true cloaked ships anymore.

Xan are, and were, far from invincible.

Quote:
I missed a few rounds so shout at me if I am wrong about mil scan coz i don't know when they binned it.
At the PAX change, r10. Prior to that, Xan ships were cloaked (send a fleet with no pods, and it shows as 'Incoming hostile fleet of 0 ships from x:x:x') but their pods were not...so send 100k fighters and 1 pod, the fleet shows as 1 ship.

Without true cloaking (and since the humble Unit scan shows cloaked ships) Xan are effectively without any 'special features', and do not possses true 'cloaking' in the historical sense of the word.

As already mentioned, the Fleet Analysis Scan would

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 19:40   #13
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light

It's worth remembering a significant difference between the mil scan and fleet scan - mil scans could be performed by anyone upon anyone. Using the current Fleet Analysis scan system would make anyone without them at a significant advantage, and I can see xans building loadsa distorters too, so that only scan planets can scan them, effectively making their ships totally unknowable pre-combat. I'm not shooting down the idea though - just making a little point.
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 19:53   #14
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp
It's worth remembering a significant difference between the mil scan and fleet scan - mil scans could be performed by anyone upon anyone. Using the current Fleet Analysis scan system would make anyone without them at a significant advantage, and I can see xans building loadsa distorters too, so that only scan planets can scan them, effectively making their ships totally unknowable pre-combat. I'm not shooting down the idea though - just making a little point.

Part of the new PA system is choices, advantages, and disadvantages.

Yes, it forces the planet being attacked to have FA scans, or be out of luck. However, it was their choice to pursue say HCT instead of scans. An advantage in one area, a disadvantage in another...seems reasonable to me. Besides, they'll get the scans eventually, and it will then become a matter of amps vs jammers....and once again, choices.

Under the proposed idea, only pods (possibly structure killers too) would be cloaked, so you already know roughly (from unit scans) what has likely been sent without having a FA scan.

Giving Xan back 'real' cloaking in some way, shape, or form will not suddenly imbalance gameplay. Mysteriously, it never did in previous rounds.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 19:59   #15
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Part of the new PA system is choices, advantages, and disadvantages.

Yes, it forces the planet being attacked to have FA scans, or be out of luck. However, it was their choice to pursue say HCT instead of scans. An advantage in one area, a disadvantage in another...seems reasonable to me. Besides, they'll get the scans eventually, and it will then become a matter of amps vs jammers....and once again, choices.

Under the proposed idea, only pods (possibly structure killers too) would be cloaked, so you already know roughly (from unit scans) what has likely been sent without having a FA scan.

Giving Xan back 'real' cloaking in some way, shape, or form will not suddenly imbalance gameplay. Mysteriously, it never did in previous rounds.
I'm sorry but that seems pretty dumb. Under this system, people will HAVE to have amps to stand any real chance against xands much bigger than themselves, otherwise defense will be far too hard. Basically you'd be limiting almost everyone's constructions to either amps or distorters. We may as well do away with the rest.
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 20:22   #16
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
I'm sorry but that seems pretty dumb. Under this system, people will HAVE to have amps to stand any real chance against xands much bigger than themselves, otherwise defense will be far too hard. Basically you'd be limiting almost everyone's constructions to either amps or distorters. We may as well do away with the rest.

with the way the ship stats have been as of late it would not.... xan's have had very hard times as of late..it would begin to give balance back to the over powerful caths and ziks. plus add more of a element of supprise

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 9 Mar 2005, 01:11   #17
Alki
Drink is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
why would u do away with the rest? there are several scans which u are able to use to find out what has been sent at u. Tech scans allow u to see what hulls tey have researched what eta they have researched. Surface allows u to see constructions of light/med/heavy facs. Unit scans give a indication of what ships have been sent.

These are basics, and even the xan could use this to his advantage which i think is a major step forward for the xan race, as it has been in the slums for quite a while
Unread 9 Mar 2005, 11:57   #18
noah02
The Original Terran

Did'nt Xans dominate round 11?
Not being funny but Getting Xans cloaked and only having fleet scans help you puts xan way ahead of the game straight away by making able to build ships first (if they still got fi pods or co) making everyone else take the scan route and making them purchase amps and giving xans the option to just build distorters which are handy as it is already either that or we all get raped by 0 ships

Terrans already get ****ed over by xans but then again they do have the quickest construction.

Unread 9 Mar 2005, 15:24   #19
Alki
Drink is Good

only the xan pods will be cloaked not actual combat units. That is choice u have to make go for HC or go for scans, this game is all about choices there benefits and drawbacks for any choice u make, its up to you which 1 u choose. this idea adds another choice u have to make therefore making people actually think what they have to research rather than be mindless drones and pump out the same list round after round
Unread 9 Mar 2005, 16:57   #20
Cochese
Retired

You can tell, plain as day, how many ships the bugger has...just not pods.

If you can't guestimate from there enough to cover it, you probably shouldn't be complaining about it in the first place.

Besides, if all else fails, send loads of cutlasses or in-galaxy rogues.

It's all FI/Co anyways, not a big mystery what to do.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 9 Mar 2005, 18:37   #21
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
with the way the ship stats have been as of late it would not.... xan's have had very hard times as of late..it would begin to give balance back to the over powerful caths and ziks. plus add more of a element of supprise
I guess I imagined Xandrathii owning in round 11 then, and Cathaar being so crap I managed to be the 7th biggest Cathaar at the end, with my almight rank of about 220th!

Stats tend to swing wildly from extreme to extreme anyway. Xand were underpowered in 10.5, so they overcompensated and became overpowered for 11, then back the other way for round 12... Though admittedly, in round 11's case, it was more the overabundance of Terrans for Xands to roid that accounted for Xand success.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 00:16   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

u can guess what i'm going to say - declined

however cloaking is offically added to my things to think about for roudn14 list

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread