User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Sep 2005, 02:28   #1
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future
XP to Value Conversion

Sorry if this idea has been presented before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. It probably wouldn't be done for r15, but perhaps r16.

Alrite, here's the idea: Make XP fluid by allowing blocks of it to be traded for resouces. This is a one-way conversion and should not be undo-able. You can *NOT* trade resouces for XP, but you *WOULD* be able to trade XP for resouces. 500 XP would be worth 1million metal, 1 million crystal, and 1 million eonium. XP can only be traded in denominations of 500. You would place the trade, and 10 ticks later you would get the resouces (after which you would still have to produce ships to use them in combat). This measure is to prevent planets with incoming to force-build themselves out of an attack by trading XP. The system would be sort of an equity of XP being transfered from the expierence itself into value via the system.

For instance this round (r14) 400 Peacekeepers cost 2M metal, 2M crystal, and 2M eonium--a total of 6M resouces--and is worth 60,000 value which is appended to score. Capping 100 roids from someone of equal value to you yeilds 1,000 XP (which is 60,000 score not included in value). If a planet wishs to trade this XP, they would place an order for trading 1000 XP (has to be done in blocks of 500) and 10 ticks later they get th 6M total resouces. The 60k score worth of XP would then become 40k worth of value in resouces, and once spent would become 60k value worth of ships.

The system is good because:
(1) It adds more fluidity to the round via the fact that ships (value) can be stolen or killed off, while XP is stable and can not be killed off.
(2) It allows large planets who are fleetcaught and loose a good chunk of their attacking force to be able to rebuild their attacking fleet, at a cost of their XP.
(3) Resouce-hacking covert-op would now be potentially more worthwhile when a planet gets the fresh resouces from the trade.
(4) Smaller value planets can trade their XP into ship value and therefore build better attack fleets to attack larger targets.

Mind you the entire system is optional. If you wish, you can just keep all your XP, but the option would be avaliable to all.

Comments, Suggestions, Ideas?

-NitinA
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 02:34   #2
derry

derry will become famous soon enoughderry will become famous soon enough
Re: XP to Value Conversion

bonus is to high, don't trade 60000 score for 60000 value, make players lose out on their ending score, else the game will faster stagnate imo, bigger planets means more fleets, means more ppl will have a more then decent def fleet then in a normal round

make it trade 500 xp for 30000 value (50%) else i would ceretainly trade my xp everytime i get 500 if there is no loss totalling score
[18:45] <Helix> if two wrongs dont make a right its twice as wrong to do something wrong to right it

[00:22] <Doom> Where as in most cases it appears multing is an individual thing, LDK organises it and uses it. Making it an effective unit with a small number of players. It makes sense just not part of the rules. They just organised cheating =-)
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 02:36   #3
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

Its just a weird thing. It has no basis in even pretend physics.

From a mathematical and tactical standpoint, what it does is make large planets have a vast vast fleet reserve. When you attack them, if god forbid you get through, they just tap the bank account, build what they need to whoop your butt, and that's that.

It would not help newbies, it would make the top XP earners even more unassailable than they already are. As someone who's typically close to the latter than the former, I don't think this is a good thing.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 02:38   #4
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

And Derry, you're kind of wrong about that. Top planets constantly look for ways to convert value into XP so they can keep their bash limit low.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 03:22   #5
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

It'd be an added tactical element to the game. People who are "XP whores" sometimes can't/don't know how to play maintaining a higher value. That observation is taken from the member pools of various alliances. Perhaps a limit on orders of blocks of conversions would serve well, as well (eg only 3,000 XP [or _] can be traded during any given time period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by derry
bonus is to high, don't trade 60000 score for 60000 value, make players lose out on their ending score, else the game will faster stagnate imo, bigger planets means more fleets, means more ppl will have a more then decent def fleet then in a normal round
And derry, I agree with you there upon reflection. The even value ratio 1:1 is improper but perhaps a 1:.5 or a 1:.75 ratio of final score_via_XP:score_via_shp_value would work better. As for you still trading up for value that can be stolen/killed/fleetcaught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derry
else i would ceretainly trade my xp everytime i get 500 if there is no loss totalling score
It would still be crippling at some level because: (a) You would still be putting the loss of that (ultimatly) score at risk by turning it into value (b) You're increasing your own value, which means you would need to hit larger targets for the same amount of XP per roid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayl
Its just a weird thing. It has no basis in even pretend physics.
Neither do quite a few elements in this game. Planetarion isn't meant to be realistic. Do you really beleive that even in a pretend physics world that asteroids can be mined infintely after creation, or nanobot teleportation works on asteroids while ships must actually travel, or that any point in the universe is equadistant from any given planet and the only factor determining (uniform) travel time is the class(/size) of the ship?

Quote:
From a mathematical and tactical standpoint, what it does is make large planets have a vast vast fleet reserve.
Large planets, if they trade their XP for value, will increase their value and have to capture more roids or hit higher value targets to get the same amount of XP. I would assume that a majority of people would not opt to trade their entire XP reserve and typically use the conversion feature only to rebuild from fleetcatchs, ect.

Quote:
When you attack them, if god forbid you get through, they just tap the bank account, build what they need to whoop your butt, and that's that.
You didn't read my post completely, did you? If you did, you didn't seem to notice the lag in the trade that makes that impossible.

Quote:
It would not help newbies, it would make the top XP earners even more unassailable than they already are. As someone who's typically close to the latter than the former, I don't think this is a good thing.
How are the top XP earners more untouchable? I don't see any basis in that arguement.

I personally think this would actually help newbies. If you know how to get XP, you can convert it to value and hit larger targets easier. It creates a sort of "once you learn how to hunt" (which newbies are just that--people learning to play the game) you can move up to the bigger playing feilds. As for top planets trying to keep their bash limits low, imagine if those with lots of XP who are smaller in value decided to trade up and attack the top planets--hence the added fluidity I was dicussing.

-NitinA
[Ascendancy] Member
Retired Since Round 21
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:11   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As an XP whore, I do like this idea

Finding the right ratio is needed though.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:27   #7
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
From a mathematical and tactical standpoint, what it does is make large planets have a vast vast fleet reserve. When you attack them, if god forbid you get through, they just tap the bank account, build what they need to whoop your butt, and that's that.
This could be ruled out by making the switch last a x amount of ticks just like you don't get new ships the minute your order them.

It a interesting concept i have to say, might mean i could actually build a fleet some day .
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 17:31   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

What it does is let people who have score PERMINANTLY stored in XP almost "gamble" it in building ships - they can find targets, find they need a few more ships, give some of their XP for building those ships, and then hit this target for more asteroids. The other gamble is that when they build those ships, they need to find bigger targets to get the same amount of XP.

I think it would make the game more interesting, as long as there's a time delay such as mentioned above of at least 5 ticks.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 18:00   #9
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

Yes, the time delay would have to be built in, as suggested in the origional idea. I think a lot of people seemed to miss that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinA
You would place the trade, and 10 ticks later you would get the resouces (after which you would still have to produce ships to use them in combat). This measure is to prevent planets with incoming to force-build themselves out of an attack by trading XP.
-NitinA
[Ascendancy] Member
Retired Since Round 21
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 18:03   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I did origionally but I didn't read the whole thread through again before replying
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 18:21   #11
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

another note though, it might be nice to allow the planet to choose which resources he gets from the XP, for exampe if i would want 6 mil E from 1000 XP points it should be possible. If even resources are given (for example 1 mil of each resource) Xan's will have a (slight) advantage because they won't have to trade resources to be able to spend them efficiently on new ships, hence i think the planet in question should be allowed (perhaps to a certain extent) to choose the amount of each resource he gets.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 22:27   #12
Appocomaster
PA Team

That certainly makes sense :-)
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 20:08   #13
olle
Newdawn ftw \o/

olle is infamous around these partsolle is infamous around these parts

I like the ide, whould bring a new cool twist into the game!
olle is offline   Reply With Quote