User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Feb 2015, 13:32   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
so here's what irks me

consider you have a memory storage, say a hard disk
and an expected life span of a given amount of time t
the exact estimate of t is inprecise

you are to optimize the memory usage, as with the following constraints

1) there are vital programs the existance of which is to be ensured at all times
2) the storage always needs to have sufficient empty storage to store new stuff over the period t
3) unnecessary information cannot be deleted at will; instead, un-used programs that are not class 1) are only removed through expiry processes (consider half-life)
4) there is no way of improving compression
5) input stream of new information can be made selective as desired, as a function of any of the above constraints but not of any external item

see by the time you've reached halfway of the storage, it's full of crap you can't wait to get rid of but you can't just ****ing delete

because of constraint 2), the input stream 5) must ultimately be a function of the empty storage space (and a monotonously decreasing a function).

because of constraint 3), the higher the early age t-n input stream is, the steeper the (decreasing) input stream curve must be

now at the hyperbole situation of t being infinite, the input stream function can only equal the function of half-lifes of all previously storaged input, excluding those constrained by 1)

this yields a system that is doomed to self-destruct asymptotically, or at least become more or less paralyzed (say, as a random process of input streams fills the disk with items with higher and higher half-lives; by this i mean that since shorter half-life information decays faster and is replaced by say normally distributed half-life the half-lifes of the system will gradually increase), the input stream asymptotically approaches zero, since the half-lifes asymptotically approach infinite; this is of course only if there are items in the input stream with half-lifes approaching infinity, because ultimately all the information in the storage will have either half-lifes approaching infinity or are constrained)

its a vegetable
doomed to become one
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 13:38   #2
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: so here's what irks me

it's impossible to solve it right, when taking into account the hyperbole situation where the input stream curve is so tight that essentially no new information gets in to the storage but just a tiny fraction approaching zero of free storage space remains to satisfy constraints

any solutions are dependent on the precision of the estimate t.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 20:39   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

What's the purpose of this? a theoretical exercise?
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 20:50   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

i thought you'd be clever enough to guess

does the purpose of this bear any relevance to the answer

the primary purpose is of course to reinvigorate general discussions with something else than your shitty four word stories
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 21:07   #5
Tietäjä
Good Son

to be precise, in fact, constraint 1) is futile. they're just pieces of storage with an infinite half-life
so maybe it'd be more elegant if there were fewer variables and constraints, ie. just the half-life of the stored unit, depending on how high it exceeds some threshold, and then refresh the half-life each time the memory unit is activated to represent decay

you should be able to fit this in one equation
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 21:54   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're being kind of dickish these days.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 22:05   #7
Tietäjä
Good Son

you're so dull. it's more difficult than it seems.
Unread 22 Feb 2015, 08:12   #8
Bane
Shadows and Dust

Bane is on a distinguished road

Upload to the internet

I win

R3 or so - Cell/Elysium
Looong break
R20 - Orbit
R21 - Subh (Finished rank 58)
8 year break
R60 - ND -> Ultores (Finished rank 48)
R61 - Rogues

14:05 <Swing> I wear a cape and a burger king paper crown when i play pa
14:10 <Zwanstic> u also talk alot of shit
14:14 <Blue_Esper> you're a weird unit
12:33 <hone> oddr is where we send all the semi retarded and gay bashing ult has beens LOL
12:34 <hone> thats where u should be swing lol
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2015, 18:10   #9
Tietäjä
Good Son

yeah i know you do
Unread 22 Feb 2015, 18:13   #10
Adapt
Leader Of The Gang

Adapt is just really niceAdapt is just really niceAdapt is just really niceAdapt is just really niceAdapt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Upload to the internet

I win
you swing, are the most useless person i have spoke too

<3
Round 81 - Ultores - Rank 73rd.
Round 83 - Ultores - Rank 16th.
Round 91 - Lucky7 - Rank 50th.
Round 92 - Lucky7 - Rank 39th.
Adapt is offline   Reply With Quote