User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 5 Nov 2006, 23:59   #1
GlowDog
VGN

GlowDog is infamous around these parts
anti piggy and blocking feature

[23:52] <[VGN]GlowDog> what about this idea : if fleets from different alliances attack a planet same tick, they attack eachother 1st before landing on the target :}

This would stop planets from different allies teaming up in attack, it would save the target from being bashed too much due multiple incs, and it will change the fleets being send.

Also you can "catch" fleets of way bigger alliances by attacking their target with a fleet that only targets their attack fleets and cannot be deffed by the big allie mates

just a thought ...

Glowie.
GlowDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 00:11   #2
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: anti piggy and blocking feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowDog
[23:52] <[VGN]GlowDog> what about this idea : if fleets from different alliances attack a planet same tick, they attack eachother 1st before landing on the target :}

This would stop planets from different allies teaming up in attack, it would save the target from being bashed too much due multiple incs, and it will change the fleets being send.

Also you can "catch" fleets of way bigger alliances by attacking their target with a fleet that only targets their attack fleets and cannot be deffed by the big allie mates

just a thought ...

Glowie.
Personally I like the general principal to be applied: If fleets are not known to each other, they will engange each other in combat - no matter whether it is attack or defense. Of course, for defense the rule of being in same galaxy (and maybe even cluster) could apply.
Additionally it would enable the game to introduce an alliance war system: If alliance A and B sign a nap then their fleets won't engage each other in combat.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 00:18   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

The problem that might arrise, is, that with the amount of piggying that goes on because of the characteristics of the universe today, attack fleets would either spend a lot of time fighting each other, or then recalling a bit more.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 00:21   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It would be interesting, though, to see some of the political battle between alliance attack fleets; "Oi, you're piggying me. recall dammit!" "No! you recall!" "No You!" "well, my e-penis is larger so you recall!" "Well, you cant contend with that *recalls*"

:\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 01:26   #5
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

I can't use the 'I have a bigger e-penis than you' arguement. I'll lose!
Can we switch to something like "I have the most shoes so you have to recall"?
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 01:47   #6
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I have posted a similar suggestion previously, so I agree, this would make a certain amount of sense. The arguement against this has to do with the fact that sometimes allies attack together and or players attack with smaller members of their gal in team ups. An exception would need to be put in place for these type of attacks.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 02:27   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery
Empress, you always win .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
Been there done that!
This thread is where the issue was raised before. It was a good discussion.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 02:27   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

it was suggested that there could be an 'aggressive mode' option to select on the mission page.
The general idea is very interesting and would bring some novelty in the fleet compositions.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 08:21   #9
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Don't like it. Sometimes it pays to piggy as your more likely to get through.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 13:05   #10
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

It is surprising how often you get piggied these days, and I don't remember it being as common say .. 5 rounds ago.

Is this just a misconception or is there a reason?
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 13:11   #11
Cedlind
[SiN] HC

Cedlind is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"Recall or I'll throw really hard shoes at your head"

As I see it, piggys is a part of the game, and something we have to live with.
Although, I do like the idea of 3+ fleets in an "all against all" combat, sounds like fun.
<@Clogg|zZzZz> you get that with most nicks tbh
SiN->SiNND *shivers*->SiN->TGV->really long break->Asc
Cedlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 13:26   #12
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

In this other game I played when orbiting a planet, the planetowner could choose who was his friends and who was his enemies.

There was this HUGE warblock that decided to use his planet as a orbital base for launches against his own alliance. The dude marked half the fleets that arrived in orbit as friendly and the warblock wiped itself out.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 17:44   #13
Ka`Dargo

Ka`Dargo is an unknown quantity at this point

then again, what if 7 diffrent fleets (alliances) attack one planet.. how would the br looks then?? and who would fire on whos fleet first?? and so on.
though i do like the idea

Ka`Dargo
Ka`Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 20:56   #14
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
It is surprising how often you get piggied these days, and I don't remember it being as common say .. 5 rounds ago.

Is this just a misconception or is there a reason?
There are less planets in the universe, and after rounds of preluanch and xp etc, the one thing everyone does now is attack. So each night the good targets in the universe are being targetted by pretty much everyone. This is only exacerbated by galaxy attacks, since there are only a handful of galaxies that contain multiple good targets. These gals are bound to be double/triple booked every night.

While this would be a drastic, change, piggybacking has gotten out of hand, so its really worth considering.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 21:07   #15
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

Quote:
Believe me, you have an e-penis.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 21:33   #16
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Yes, I call my e-penis 'coffee-'
Isn't he cute?
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 21:43   #17
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Yes, I call my e-penis 'coffee-'
Isn't he cute?
thought he was called "Dick"
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 00:22   #18
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
There are less planets in the universe, and after rounds of preluanch and xp etc, the one thing everyone does now is attack. So each night the good targets in the universe are being targetted by pretty much everyone. This is only exacerbated by galaxy attacks, since there are only a handful of galaxies that contain multiple good targets. These gals are bound to be double/triple booked every night.

While this would be a drastic, change, piggybacking has gotten out of hand, so its really worth considering.
That's what I thought initially, but if there's more players its still the same ratios of people wanting to attack top gals, and those in top gals being hit.
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 01:29   #19
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
That's what I thought initially, but if there's more players its still the same ratios of people wanting to attack top gals, and those in top gals being hit.
I dont know that id assume the same ratios would exist, but you might be right. Certainly xp and shipstats play a large role. low-mid level players do alot more attacking than they used to in my experience.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 20:16   #20
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

i like the idea.. in fact.. it s well known alliances ,in general fight each other for the roids.. why should they suddenly team up to roids a 3rd party?
and if alliance do multi waving in a same eta.. they only thinned the gain in the landing.. if the piggy are from multi alliance, then they should fight each other as they fight on defense! why angel, exilition, or 1up help an ennemy alliance land an attack?...

only exception i see to that is galaxy attack.. where everyone from same galaxy work together.. or same alliance team up.. but surely those can be code into the game, if needed..

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 22:06   #21
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

Good idea and a logical one at that. Especially if you combine it with a hardcoded nap feature. After all if you meet some random stranger while robbing a bank you're just about to releave of their excess money, you'd shoot him on sight too instead of letting him get away with your money wouldn't you?
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 00:07   #22
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

I hope this is getting some serious consideration from top players and pa team. Some clever solutions here might improve the game by making a lot of people happier.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 00:38   #23
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

it would make composing your attack fleet more difficult since you now have to keep attackships in consideration besides the defence ships.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 01:21   #24
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Yes, and that is probably not a good side effect. I'm for the idea of resolving piggies, rather than this 3 way war thing.
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 04:39   #25
Chufty
Slightly Off-Colour

Chufty can only hope to improve

Wait up, why isn't it a good side effect? What's wrong with radical changes like this? I think it's an idea that will add extra an extra dynamic to combat. We need to keep the game from going stale, don't we?

The idea of firing on all unknown fleets, rather than just attackers vs defenders, makes perfect sense anyway.
Chufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2006, 14:54   #26
Juice
The liquid crusader

Juice is on a distinguished road

I for one think it sounds like a great idea, it would make combat a little more realistic, if 3, 4, 5 or more opposing fleets (alliances) are landing on the same planet, they are not just going to team up, they would be fighting between them, so that the winner got the lion’s share of the roids.

Well what do I know I’m just a noob, but I do like the sound of the idea.
Unread 11 Dec 2006, 15:19   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

you might have two battles at a planet; attackers v defenders, then attackers v attackers to divide the spoils. Obviously, you cant recall between the battles.

Shipfarming issues though, i suppose.
Unread 11 Dec 2006, 16:35   #28
Amycus
Flame me...

Amycus will become famous soon enoughAmycus will become famous soon enough

I think this idea is fantastic!!

This can solve many issues with attacking. For one it would help out the zik race by giving them a better way to steal ships, therefore, slowing down fleet catching. Next it adds a whole new dynamic to the game.

In this round for example: Xans send 20k nightmare, and 2k vampyre at a terran or zik, and that is all they have to do, every night and all they have to worry about is increasing their fleet size as the ticks go.

With something like this people need to start thinking more about other people and then organize attacks accordingly.

The idea is deffinately good.
r4: [Tuba]HC
r11: [SiN]
r12: [SiN]HC
r13: [eX]
r19: [TGV]
r20: Destiny
r21: What? Are you kidding?

Ooooomph! Come back Noah02!
Amycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2006, 20:37   #29
murder

murder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to all

Well I think you will have support planets That cannot send def but can send attacks-as def scenario

Also you don't usually find out you are being piggybacked until late into the attack. Then you need to find out the ships of the piggy. Which in many cases is the same fleet makeup as your. (XAN Frigs have favorite targets). If not most conservative players would recall.

Not to be a broken record(if you know what a record is) or s skipping CD....but I like the Idea of a Cov-op that will make your piggy recall. Only piggy's can use it....just a thought
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 00:40   #30
Amycus
Flame me...

Amycus will become famous soon enoughAmycus will become famous soon enough

I just think anything to create more need for strategy in the attack/defend part of the game is great.
r4: [Tuba]HC
r11: [SiN]
r12: [SiN]HC
r13: [eX]
r19: [TGV]
r20: Destiny
r21: What? Are you kidding?

Ooooomph! Come back Noah02!
Amycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 00:53   #31
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
you might have two battles at a planet; attackers v defenders, then attackers v attackers to divide the spoils. Obviously, you cant recall between the battles.

Shipfarming issues though, i suppose.
No. You should have one battle at the planet. Where attackers are all attacking fleets and defenders are all defending fleets. However, since fleets can be from different alliances they will also be targetted within their own group, i.e. attackers from ally A will shoot on all defenders + all attackers not from ally A. Additionally, Defenders from Ally B will shoot on all attackers as well as all defenders not from ally B and not from the galaxy of the defending planet.

Yes this does mean a nice load of coding work. But hey, it'd be worth it, imho.
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 20:00   #32
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about

I don’t think this would stop piggying as most of time it is done accidentally but it would add an extra tactical level to the game.

It would suit the top ranked players and exi down to the ground as they are the most likely to be attacked by multiple fleets.

If you don’t allow people from different alliances to team up then what hope is there that exi will ever be beaten?

I did have more to add but couldn’t find a zokka to English translator!

Overall I think your idea is good and deserves to be looked into.
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 20:24   #33
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokka
If you don’t allow people from different alliances to team up then what hope is there that exi will ever be beaten?
By taking them on earlier; if you let them grow you get that value disadvantage. That counts for every skilled alliance that was allowed to grow silently for a long time, just by the way.
Unread 14 Dec 2006, 00:22   #34
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokka
Heartless is right, but also when alliances do "joint" attacks, it doesnt mean both alliances attack the same planet at the same time, often its more a case of coverage; alliance A attacks half of alliance C's planets, and alliance B attacks the other half; Alliance C gets more incoming fleetscore on more planets = more difficult to cover = improving the damage done to alliance C.

It would make the really large fleetcatches more difficult otoh - where a whole alliance is insufficinet to destroy a large planet's + their alliance/galaxy's ship. However, that doesnt stop alliance A and B launching those fleet as one alliance can recall before the battle begins, but still deter defence (depending on how it is done ofc, re Heartless & my posts above).
Unread 15 Dec 2006, 23:28   #35
SpaceLegend
(-: :-)

SpaceLegend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowDog

you need to have the stats to actually have an effect of such a battle.
going by the stats of last round, two xans piggying on a terran with their frigs
would end up in a battle fr vs fr = targetting fi/de vs fr = just wasted cpu time :P
R2 35:16 | R3 16:15 | R4 234:11 | R5 32:5 | R6 14:4 | R7 20:11 | R8 18:6
R9 27:10 | R9.5 11:4 | R10 10:1 | R10.5 1:6 | R11 6:5 | R12 28:3 | R13 3:9
R14 13:5 | R15 5:6 | R16 20:3 | R17 8:4 | R18 13:7 | R19 10:8 | R20 3:4
R21 15:4 | R22 4:4 | R23 7:5 | R24 12:8 | R25 11:5 | R26 11:9 | R27 1:9
R28 9:2 | R29 5:5 | R30 3:7 | R31 10:7 | R32 6:2 | R33 3:6 | R34 2:1 | R35 6:2
R36 9:2 | R37 5:6 | R38 12:1 | R39 14:8 | R40 10:6 | R41+ retired
SpaceLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 17:21   #36
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

if anything, u can make it "by discretion of a player"

Make an option in fleet screen to configure your fleet to be in "search and destroy", "passive(return fire only, with some benefits i am yet to think about)" or "hit and run (non-engage after a battle with defenders for bonus armor/emp resist)" states... Considering U would not be able to see the setting and "search and destroy" option would make u fire first but bring hate it would be a decision u have to make before u land (coord with your piggy if anything frag his ships for salvage.)

Also brings new aspect to alliance warfare. Alliance A attacks a huge target in alliance B. Alliance C who is also at war with A sends massive strike on that same big target. result: Big fat B target screams omg WTF ! but gets huge chunk of salvage. -25% roids ofcourse. Alliance C just successfully wtfpwned good chunk of A's ships (and vice versa apparently). Alliance A now has to plan some revenge tactics.

I also realize this will bring hell to Bcalc coders... <3 thrudd
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote