User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jun 2005, 18:59   #1
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
[Cricket]Australia

lmfao at bangledesh beating australia by 5 wickets

Please prepare to bend over and hand us back the ashes.

Thank You
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:08   #2
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light
Re: [Cricket]Australia

/me points and laughs at the Aussies*

*in the expectation that they shall still somehow manage to hold onto the ashes
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:13   #3
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

we're going to win the ashes

it is time

fact
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:18   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What are the ashes? I don't know anything about this game.
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:19   #5
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light

It's scary though - in my mind every day England seem to be becoming more and more the favourites - and I'm not used to England being favourites against good teams.
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:20   #6
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

s|k: the ashes are the remains of the stumps burnt when england lost to australia for the first time. It was considered such a shameful time that the stumps were burnt, and it is tradition that every 2 years or so England and Australia play again to win the ashes. (the series of games alternates between the 2 countries, so that every 4 years it is in england)
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:21   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
What are the ashes? I don't know anything about this game.
I'll keep it brief:

bragging rights.
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:24   #8
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp
s|k: the ashes are the remains of the stumps burnt when england lost to australia for the first time. It was considered such a shameful time that the stumps were burnt,

i never actually knew that tbh
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:29   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It's scary though - in my mind every day England seem to be becoming more and more the favourites - and I'm not used to England being favourites against good teams.
Put your money where your mouth is then. You can get a cracking price on england.

But you wont bet, because you know youll still lose. Pietersen's inexperience will show, Vaughan will flounder, Flintoff will hit 2 sixes in a row then get caught out third ball, Harmison will play a shit first test then lose his confidence entirely. England arent really good enough, theres still enough time before the start of the ashes for Australia to get it back together and you know it.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:34   #10
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Quote:
/me points and laughs at the Aussies*

*in the expectation that they shall still somehow manage to hold onto the ashes
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:43   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Put your money where your mouth is then.
I just put a bet on them at 13/5.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 20:08   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
s|k: the ashes are the remains of the stumps burnt when england lost to australia for the first time. It was considered such a shameful time that the stumps were burnt
Almost. The stumps were said to have been burnt as part of a declaration of the death of english cricket.

I'm not sure offhand if the bails that the Ashes claim to be made from were actually the ones used 120 odd years ago in the test.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 20:42   #13
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

I think the originals stay at Lords, and the ones actually played for are just fake.
That's what I meant by shameful - but I couldn't think of the words.
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 21:15   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I just put a bet on them at 13/5.
Sporting odds i take it? How much did you put down?

http://www.oddschecker.com/betting/m...31x/sid/372212

The best price at a traditional bookie seems to be 7/2. Fraid you should have shopped around a little better

PS : Trescothick at 7/2 to be England's top batsman is a steal. Only Strauss can challenge him in my eyes, and hes not got odds just now

Unread 18 Jun 2005, 22:34   #15
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

all the world over each nation's the same
they've simply no notion of playing the game
they argue with umpires
and cheer when they've won
and practice beforehand
which ruins the fun
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 02:29   #16
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

PS : Trescothick at 7/2 to be England's top batsman is a steal. Only Strauss can challenge him in my eyes, and hes not got odds just now
Vaughan last series against the Aussies was a stand out, Trescothick won't do bugger all against the Aussies as per normal so 7/2 is rather shite odds. Though at the end of the day a test series is completely different to one day stuff, as much as i don't want to say it i can only see the Aussies regaining the Ashes yet again.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 08:30   #17
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
Vaughan last series against the Aussies was a stand out, Trescothick won't do bugger all against the Aussies as per normal so 7/2 is rather shite odds. Though at the end of the day a test series is completely different to one day stuff, as much as i don't want to say it i can only see the Aussies regaining the Ashes yet again.
and how!
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 10:44   #18
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Trescothick at 7/2 to be England's top batsman is a steal. Only Strauss can challenge him in my eyes, and hes not got odds just now

I'm assuming you didnt watch the last ashes series when the Aussies had Trescothick in their pocket for the entire series.

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
SeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 15:40   #19
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanG
I'm assuming you didnt watch the last ashes series when the Aussies had Trescothick in their pocket for the entire series.
Trescothick is a far better player in England than when he is batting abroad. He has also improved quite a lot since that last Ashes series. I don't think he will be our top run scorer but he will do quite well in my opinion.
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 16:47   #20
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I put a £5 on Australia at 11/10 there. Im aware england are favourites, but Flintoff will get himself out soon enough. Run rate is slightly slower than England would like.

If Tres isnt going to be top run scorer, who is?

Unread 19 Jun 2005, 19:07   #21
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Did Australia just lose again?
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 19:29   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Aye. They were able to beat the english, but not the south africans. Pietersen won it from nowhere.

Unread 19 Jun 2005, 21:06   #23
Forest

Once again, they got pwned.
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 21:14   #24
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Aye. They were able to beat the english, but not the south africans. Pietersen won it from nowhere.
We'll make sure to cheer on the scots with all those englishmen in the side
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 12:18   #25
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough

I think that even though we won the match yesterday in an ironic sort of way it underlined how hard it is going to be to win the ashes and what a good side australia are. It took an awesome over, an innings from nowhere and 2 misfiring pace bowlers for us to even have a CHANCE to win the match. If either Kasprowizc or Gillespie bowls how we all know they can bowl (and/or Lee returns) it really is going to be a very tough series.

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
SeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 13:02   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
We'll make sure to cheer on the scots with all those englishmen in the side
You do realise that Scotsmen have played for "England" in the past? The Scottish Saltires are just a county team, "England", is actually "Britain" when it comes to International test cricket. Thing is most Scottish people dont care about Cricket, which is understandable considering how boring it is.

Unread 20 Jun 2005, 13:05   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
which is understandable considering how boring it is.
It takes a lot more work to understand what's going on that, say, football.
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 13:07   #28
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

How on earth do you figure that?

Unread 20 Jun 2005, 13:27   #29
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Because perhaps a lot of people don't understand cricket whereas they do football...
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 13:33   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Because cricket is a more complicated, slower and more tactical game?
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 16:02   #31
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

You cant possibly argue that. Slower, and duller yes. More tactical? You bring the field in, or you switch to a spin bowler. Lets just throw football formations and tactics out the window

Even my mum understands cricket to a certain degree. She hates it.

And what was your original point - "that it takes a lot more work to understand" ?

Unread 20 Jun 2005, 16:09   #32
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i'm member of a 'mixed hockeyclub', which means the cricketclub can use our grassfield and clubhouse in summertime when we don't use it anyway.

last year we had a fairly big international tournament there, which i didn't see because i don't understand the rules of the game. at all.

now the field is nearly in my backgarden... should i bother with getting to know the sport or stick to hockey/football/whatever?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 16:25   #33
arbondigo

Quote:
You cant possibly argue that. Slower, and duller yes. More tactical? You bring the field in, or you switch to a spin bowler. Lets just throw football formations and tactics out the window

Even my mum understands cricket to a certain degree. She hates it.

And what was your original point - "that it takes a lot more work to understand" ?
So the batsmen have nothing to do with the tactics for the fielding captain? The batsmen don't adjust their tactics according to the bowler or the field that has been set? The condition of the pitch has no part either does it nor the weather i suppose? The wicketkeeper standing back or up doesn't affect the batsmen either nor the field? That's just to name a few.

Yes football is tactical but it's nowhere near as tactical or psychological as cricket is. Everyone can understand cricket to a certain degree, the aim for the batting side is to score runs and the bowling side to get the batting team out. I'm also guessing that you've never played cricket at a serious level either Deffeh otherwise you'd realise that it's more tactical than football is.
Unread 20 Jun 2005, 16:36   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

At the most simplistic level (club side), football and cricket have roughly similar levels of tactics and strategy. In football, comprehension of formations, 'mark this guy', 'go up for corners' is ubiquitous. Everyone knows what these things mean and how to do them. In cricket, strategy extends to batting first or second and basic field placements.

At the professional/international level, footballing strategy and tactics don't increase a huge amount. Ability is much greater, but the pace of the game means that it's very difficult to get players to actually follow the tactics. The game is much more instinctive.

In professional and international cricket, there is far far more time for strategy and tactics. Bowlers are more likely to have the ability to bowl a certain line and length regularly, and batsmen have a far wider range of shots. At the team level, professional/international cricketers have the experience needed for the vision involved in field placements, while they have the time to prepare how to 'get at' certain individuals in the opposing side.

KoeN - you'd find it well worth it to try watching cricket. Through playing hockey, you clearly have decent hand-eye co-ordination, so it's worth a go even playing. Go with a friend who knows the rules properly, and every time you don't know what's going on - ask. Most cricket fans that I know would be perfectly happy to explain the rules to anyone who is new. There's certainly the time

Try watching the Ashes, especially the one-day internationals going on right now. I assume there's some way to get hold of coverage. Personally I'm not a huge fan of county cricket over here (i.e. club level), but internationals have me glued.