User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:08   #1
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future
What would you have done?

I pull in to a gas station/convenience store for a fill up. As I pull up to the pump I notice a kid about 15 walking towards my truck with his eyes trained on me. I get out of the truck and he starts telling me he is supposed to go live with his mom and that he needed $20 more to get there via the bus line. He says the ticket costs $100.00 and he has $80.00. It seems his mom had wired the money via western union for a bus ticket but she had sent $20 to little and now he was stranded in Phoenix. At which point he shows me the four twenty dollar bills he has been holding, proving that he was indeed $20 short..

I look him over trying to get a feel for him. His eyes and hair are brown and he has the deep olive tan of someone whose ancestors hailed from the Mediterranean. His hair has the shaggy look of a surfer kid. It had been a long time since the shirt and shorts he was wearing were new and he had flip flops on his feet. He never once looked away from me during my inspection.

I ask him how old he is, He says, “15”. I ask him how he wound up in phoenix. He says “he’s been living with his dad”. I ask him why hes leaving? He says because he “hates his dad” I say, “ It sounds like you are running away” He says “both his mom and dad know”. Why don’t you ask your dad for the loot, I ask him. He says his dad hates him too and wont give him the money.

At this point I am wondering what kind of mother would allow their 15 year old son Get on a bus, by himself for a day and a half. Ive traveled long distances on these busses and have met my share of seedy people. Not only would she let him get on the bus, but she didn’t wire him enough money to do so.

I ask him where in San Francisco, He answers “San Leonardo” I ask “where is that near”? He says it is near some town Ive never heard of.

“Where does your your dad live?”
He responds 81st and Thomas, which is about 6 miles away.

This got me wondering what he was doing was way down here.

I asked Him which western union he got the money from.
He says “over at the Circle K convenience store”
I say that there is no Circle K around here.
He counters with “there is one right over on Camel Back Drive. (Which is about a mile away but parallel to the road we were on now.)

Across the street from the gas station we were standing at was a 7-11, which also had a western union.
I ask him why he didn’t use that one? He says “the other one was closer to where he lived.”
It was closer, but most convenience stores here have western union and there had to be one that was closer to his house than the one he went to.

I ask him how long ago he got the money. He says an hour ago. I ask him to see the receipt. He says he doesn’t have it anymore, then, makes a big show of looking through his wallet, hoping to find it. He finally gives up. I shrug at him in indication that he wasn’t getting the $20 out of me.
He looks sad, but walks away looking for someone else to get the loot from.

Now to the problem, I do not trust anyone. And this has been a major issue for people in my life.
In retrospect, school just let out for the summer and it would be the perfect time for him to move back to his mother. I can also see that taking a long bus trip may have been the only means of transportation available.

I denied him because I don’t like to be hustled and because he couldn’t produce the receipt.

What would you have done? given him the $20, or not?
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:15   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: What would you have done?

no, I have no way of telling which people are genuine or not, and if i can get a job, any ****er can.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:16   #3
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

No.
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:17   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

wouldn't have given him the money. I don't trust anyone.
Also I'm a stingy bastard.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:17   #5
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

No i wouldn't have given him the money either, and i wouldn't have gone into as much depth as you did either. Would've just said "no" straight away and walked, drove off.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:22   #6
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

i would have put him in the truck and sold him to slavery.
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:41   #7
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

If he was hot, I might have... probably not though.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:46   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i probably would have, but my major problem is that i trust everyone :/
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 22:51   #9
Spiderman

Fck that, i wouldn't even have given my own brother $20, let alone some stranger. In fact, I wouldn't even have given my own flesh and blood $1.
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 23:04   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd have offered to drive him some of the way then taken his $80 and kicked his sorry arse out by the road.

$80 is $80 right ?

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 23:16   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'd have asked for a phone number for his mum to check the details out and offer to help, and judging from his reaction or excuse why i couldnt call her, i`d decide to help him out or not.
Ofc if his mum didnt know anything about it i`d say where exactly he is and what hes been doing. If his mum did know then i`d let her know i was going to give him the $20 he was short by and offer to drop him off at a bus depot.

If the guy was just running a scam and went to the trouble of inventing a cover story, backed up by someone who would be his 'mum' and could verify the facts, then fair play to him

Last edited by Phil^; 4 Jun 2005 at 23:22.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 23:50   #12
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
I'd have asked for a phone number for his mum to check the details out and offer to help, and judging from his reaction or excuse why i couldnt call her, i`d decide to help him out or not.
Ofc if his mum didnt know anything about it i`d say where exactly he is and what hes been doing. If his mum did know then i`d let her know i was going to give him the $20 he was short by and offer to drop him off at a bus depot.

If the guy was just running a scam and went to the trouble of inventing a cover story, backed up by someone who would be his 'mum' and could verify the facts, then fair play to him
Great. I would have done the same- despite being seeming like one of those adults who believe's children need the constant supervision of their respective parent.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 01:04   #13
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Phoning the parent seems like a fair way about it. If it were me I may have given him a reduced sum of money, as a compromise, but in whole I'm a bit of a sucker with these things.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 01:09   #14
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

this guy asked me for 50p once so he could "get his bus home because he didn't have enough money" and i gave it to him.

Then my friends told me that this guy goes around saying that all the time and they laughed at me for giving him the money
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 01:11   #15
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

I'd have questioned myself as to why the **** I was living in Phoenix, then boarded a bus with him.

Or given him a lift.

Depends how stupid you are.

Clearly very for asking that many questions.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 01:13   #16
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i dont have a truck so i would never be in the situation
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 01:16   #17
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterate
this guy asked me for 50p once so he could "get his bus home because he didn't have enough money" and i gave it to him.

Then my friends told me that this guy goes around saying that all the time and they laughed at me for giving him the money
There's a guy in one of the Nottingham bus stations doing it all the time saying he's getting a bus to Mansfield.
Amusingly one of the times I was in Mansfield I saw him at the bus station begging for money to get back to Nottingham.

it's always "sorry, no change" before they even say the sob story. There's a woman in Sheffield that keeps trying around the Uni and I've stopped being polite. If she says "excuse me" I say "sorry, no change" and keep walking.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 01:22   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: What would you have done?

Well, I'd have told him he could have the $20, but only if he let me **** him first. Obviously.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 02:27   #19
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

id give him the money if i were richer

even if he was lying, he should get it for the effort.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 04:59   #20
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't
i rarely have that amount of cash in my wallet anyway.
it's like those people who stand on a street corner with signs saying 'will work for.... '
go get a job :\
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 05:48   #21
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
i wouldn't
i rarely have that amount of cash in my wallet anyway.
it's like those people who stand on a street corner with signs saying 'will work for.... '
go get a job :\
I agree with you, but this was a kid. I dont think ive ever had a kid try to hustle me before, which is why the moral dilmna. If it was an adult, I wouldnt have thought twice about it. Ive heard enough hustle stories to write a book and would have just blew him off.

Imo phils idea was the best. It would have settled the matter once and for all.

P.S.
To the clown who left me a negrep while calling me a sucker. I didnt give the kid the money. I think you should grow some balls and leave your nick next time
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 05:55   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I either would have given him the money straight off or not at all depending on my mood. From a "rational" standpoint phil's is obviously the best idea in terms of both discovering the truth and not wasting your time.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 13:05   #23
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You aren't obligated to hand out money to random people.

I would never lower myself to ask random people for money. So why should I give money to others who I don't know?

So no, I wouldn't give him the money.

He was aiming too high - see, if he'd asked for $5 off 4 people, I bet he'd have been successful.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 13:43   #24
Nantoz

Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To avoid these situations, get this t-shirt, and go happily about your life.
Nantoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 18:35   #25
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Id have said "Go complain to your congressman. When youre old enough to vote". And got back in my car.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote