User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 17:41   #1
Jaro
Old Dog

Jaro is an unknown quantity at this point
[Declined] Speed up the beginning of the game

I have been around since round 2. I have watched the number of players each round come and go, and go, and go.... No matter what the PA team does, it does not seem like they can get large numbers of people back into the game. I have heard many people say the game is too slow and boring at the beginning. To speed the game up and maybe bring more people to the game, I suggest the following:

1) Give us the ability to Research 2 things at the same time. Not one at a time.
2) Reduce the cost to initiate roids. Cut the cost in half.
3) Increase the amount of resources a roid produces. Double the amount.
4) Decrease the cost of ships. Cut the cost in half.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 17:52   #2
MrPedantic
Banned

MrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to behold
Re: Speed up the beginning of the game

it`d only stagnate the rounds faster. get everything over and done with at the start.
bad idea imo
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:00   #3
Jaro
Old Dog

hhmmm You can not get more stagnate when it is already stagnate at the beginning. One reason people do not play the game is because it is so stagnate/slow at the beginning. We need to do something to speed it up.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 21:02   #4
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

No we dont - people need to have something to look forward to and need to make dicisions about (research, roids, ships)

and people must be able (try) to achieve stuff like... a hard earned big fleet or much roids or something.. so it shouldnt be made easier to obtain all that, it is fine as it is..

if u change it people will get less involved with the game.. Except for Jaro's m8.. bcz they cba to wait 72 ticks b4 the real fun starts...

EDIT: And after 72 ticks the round isnt slow anymore.. thats when you see who really play the game and who don't.. The tickplans will show... its the best part of the game..

The end of the game is slow.. not the beginning..

Last edited by Alessio; 5 Feb 2005 at 21:09.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 11:07   #5
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit i wish the ticks were longer at the begining tbh :P always missing that research i need by 1 tick or something

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 21:24   #6
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro
I have been around since round 2. I have watched the number of players each round come and go, and go, and go.... No matter what the PA team does, it does not seem like they can get large numbers of people back into the game. I have heard many people say the game is too slow and boring at the beginning. To speed the game up and maybe bring more people to the game, I suggest the following:

1) Give us the ability to Research 2 things at the same time. Not one at a time.

Lol sorry. I 100% disagree. Well the 2 researches is something I once had a brainstorm about. Would be cool if Cat could res 2 things at a time(time of 2nd research would double, but would ofc be nice for them)

Anyhow, what you suggest would give us 3 weeks of initiating :P

Retired
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:30   #7
Jaro
Old Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
Lol sorry. I 100% disagree. Well the 2 researches is something I once had a brainstorm about. Would be cool if Cat could res 2 things at a time(time of 2nd research would double, but would ofc be nice for them)

I am not sure what is meant by "3 weeks of initiating", unless you mean 3 weeks of "research". But, duh!!!! Of coursse we would run through the current things to research quickly. But I am not stupid. We of course would have to add more stuff to research so that it would last for the entire game.

The point I am trying to make here is, we need to do something to the start of the game. I think most people agree that the game would be more fun if there were more people playing. I have not done any studies on this, but it is my opinion that a large number of people that try the game for the first time, find it too slow and boring at the beginning, and they lose interest. So it is my opinion that we should do something to the beginning of the game to hold new people's interest.

Does anyone have any brain storms on what could be done at the beginning to hold people's interest?
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:07   #8
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

stuff
The beginning of the game is the most important bit, and isn't boring as you put it. There are so many different tactics that can make or break your round in the first 72 hours of the game. how is that boring???

New players for the first 72 hours will be getting to know their gal, sort out alliances, learn the game etc - not really that boring is it? The research doesn't need to be sped up, it's fine as it is.

The one valid point you made was that the game would be more fun with more people playing. But more people won't play just because the start of the game is sped up
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:33   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas

I submitted an idea were we could double research sort of thing but don't know were it went.
Any idea kal? As I couldnt find it in declined or accepted.

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:41   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

suggestions forum only shows threads with posts in the last month by default, its probably hidden away beyond that as I don't remember approving/declining. But i'll get round to it at some point

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:54   #11
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
suggestions forum only shows threads with posts in the last month by default, its probably hidden away beyond that as I don't remember approving/declining. But i'll get round to it at some point
That's a user-specific setting.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 13:24   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
That's a user-specific setting.
the default user setting is to use the forum defualt which is set for each individual forum and suggestions is set to 1 month.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 17:50   #13
noah02
The Original Terran

Anyways back to the thread it self I think 72 hours is perfect any quicker and I will get stressed out as much as I dont want to get up at 0300 to start research I also dont want to sit up for 24 hours researching all I can before getting my ass kicked.

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 20:37   #14
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
the default user setting is to use the forum defualt which is set for each individual forum and suggestions is set to 1 month.
You learn something every day
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 02:33   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
All this will serve to function are fleets with an extra 0 or two after them. So rather than having 1000 Spiders in the current environment, you'd have 8000 (2*2*2), which will effectively be of the same value. Ships, their costs and thus the resources needed for them are all relative.

Quote:
TBH i actually like this idea - though you wont be able to research two things from the same branch at the same time, as the first one wouldnt have finished yet etc. so in that sense it would take just as long to get to Frigates (for example), though you would have already completed something else (like ETA).

:\

Edit: speeling

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 22 Feb 2005 at 02:46.
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 18:57   #16
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i think that although this is a good idea, having all off the features suggested would make the game a bit too much of a carnage!!
perhaps just one or too of the ideas
for example: i like the one about researching 2 things at once

[INS]Goafer
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 19:47   #17
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! the first 250 ticks are much better than the last 1000 as you can actually do something then, once after that its just get into a routine of click, build ships, click, check/do research/constructions, find target, clac target, launch, wait, check attack........

Dont kill off the best bit of the round, if anything try and extend this part.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 23:47   #18
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 00:03   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

no to 2,3,4 maybe to 1

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread