User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 18:39   #1
DrNick152

DrNick152 is an unknown quantity at this point
A few ideas to Ponder

Ok heres a few ideas that have begun forming in the cavity (ok so I can't spell) that is my head.

How about warp disruptors?

Kind of like a structure or ships or something that would disrupt warpgates and thus slow attackers/defenders down, so instead of arriving in 8 ticks they are delayed one tick or something depending on some kind of percentage system.

Also it would be nice to have some kind of planet defense system, but one that actually worked, unlike round 1/2/3 whichever one they were first in (can't remember).

A Galactic fleet would be nice (one that only does defense though) with some options of how it works, ie. single planet defense, split among all planets, stand down.

Some special abilities which cost a lot of resourses or something expensive. SO for example if your entire fleet was dead or out and you had no chance of getting defense you could activate some kind of sheild like the one in Knights of the Old Republic that makes all ships crash, but it would cost like 10 ticks worth or resouces or something, so you wouldn't use it all the time.

Just a few ideas
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 18:45   #2
DrNick152

Re: A few ideas to Ponder

Oh and it would be really nice if PA were a little bit more real life friendly (that might well attract more ppl with less time back to PA) as everyone who has a RL would have to agree PA is extremly time hungry.

Something like a queing system for construction/research/production. And also and auto-defense option that you could set so your ships could auto defend members of your galaxy if you wanted to set that up.

I'm not much clued with programming so it may be that the above suggestions are too complicated (or maybe to take a Wakey POV, they are too big nasty player friendly. (That wasn't meant to bve an insult btw)
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 18:45   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

hmmmm an ability to slow attackers down.... that i like!

galactic fleet controlled by MoW woudl be good imo

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 19:03   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It would have to slow the defenders down also though in which case what is it realy acheiving? Suppose it might give you an extra tick to get ingal defence who dont use the same travel methods as inter galaxy travel

As for galaxy fleet the one problem I have is that those who can generally affored to give ships to it are in fact the people who need this extra defence least. It could potentially just make big galaxy even more like fortreses and the small weaker as the galaxy fleets likly to get destroyed

The queuing idea came up on the 'alliance suggestions forum ' and its one I dont like as its something that bad for the really active players, alot of people seem to have this impression I want small players to win when in fact what i want is a game where skill and activity is rewarded as it should be. There are better ways of making the game more appealing for those who have less time than hindering those who put the time and effort in to steal a march on everyone else and certainly better ways of doing it that to make PA a game that you login to once a week to queue up all your orders
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 21:03   #5
Troll
DLR HC

Troll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Something like a queing system for construction/research/production
I like this idea however theres should be a penalty to doing so say 10% extra resources for each quene. This still rewards the active players but at the same time allows non active players an to stay in the game.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 18:41   #6
DrNick152

Yeah what Troll says is the kind of thing I was thinking of.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 19:03   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Make queueing part of the Engineering system.
e.g.
By default, everyone can queue one tick ahead, priority3=2 ticks, pri-2=4 ticks, pri1=6 ticks or similar.
Then, active people could use their engineers for something better, and less active could make sure they don't fall too far behind in building, but sacrificing something else to do so...maybe?
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 19:09   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Make queueing part of the Engineering system.
e.g.
By default, everyone can queue one tick ahead, priority3=2 ticks, pri-2=4 ticks, pri1=6 ticks or similar.
Then, active people could use their engineers for something better, and less active could make sure they don't fall too far behind in building, but sacrificing something else to do so...maybe?
2, 4 and 6 ticks? maybe 2, 4 and 6 constructions or something? otherwise it'd be impossible to queue more than one thing at a time - you'd still have to be around, you'd just maybe have a few ticks leeway. I don't think anyone would use it, they'd prefer to loose a few ticks and get an extra 5-15% on their roids, etc
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 19:33   #9
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
2, 4 and 6 ticks? maybe 2, 4 and 6 constructions or something? otherwise it'd be impossible to queue more than one thing at a time - you'd still have to be around, you'd just maybe have a few ticks leeway. I don't think anyone would use it, they'd prefer to loose a few ticks and get an extra 5-15% on their roids, etc
I was actually thinking in terms of old-style con/res times (which are similar to current res-times, yes?), so maybe for constructions such times wouldn't be enough....but being able to queue 3 days in advance is ridiculous. When I say "less active", I mean people who login for "only" 3/4 hours per day....anything else is too little to deserve sympathy imo :|
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 22:09   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

so why would they be so upset about missing 2-3 ticks that they'd give one of their priorities over to it?
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 22:19   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

If they can't be online....
If someone has to leave at say 10pm, wakes up at 8, but their research finishes at 4am, they'd be able to carry on without missing ticks.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 14:59   #12
Troglodyte

Troglodyte is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of a galaxy fleet.

To add-on to the idea. the MOW can use only ships at say your alpha base for galactic purposes,
secondly, i would add a check box to say that you give permission to the MOW, GC to use your fleet.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 15:32   #13
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Been discussed, been rejected. Please please please learn to use the search option available to you before bumping a thread which is nearly a year old!!! This has been discussed since, rejected again and will not be implemented in the immediate future
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 19:21   #14
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Id just like to point out as well that Galaxy Fleets were tried, shown to be impossible to get working in an unabusable and fair way and dropped. While there are some features which would potentially be good to have back (I want my Holoroids back ) this isn one of them
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 20:04   #15
ThunderCat
P.I.M.P.Of.Mistu.Net

ThunderCat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

id say ever planet in the gal adds some ships in this galactic fleet and then the mow can order it.And ofc add a penality on the time it takes to change the MoW
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 20:23   #16
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

implimenting the galaxy fleet would be impressivly stupid, given that it was tried and failed and noone's suggested any way to cover the failings.

i quite like hte cueing idea. queuing multiple researches would be bad, imo, as it would mean that people could be away from the game for too long. however i think 2-4-6 hours is too short. people could put their priority in to construction and save more time than that anyway.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 20:30   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
implimenting the galaxy fleet would be impressivly stupid, given that it was tried and failed and noone's suggested any way to cover the failings.

i quite like hte cueing idea. queuing multiple researches would be bad, imo, as it would mean that people could be away from the game for too long. however i think 2-4-6 hours is too short. people could put their priority in to construction and save more time than that anyway.
something like a "preperation"option in engineering for queueing, or just letting everyone queue 1 research / construction at a 10% cost increase?
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 08:22   #18
Troglodyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
Been discussed, been rejected. Please please please learn to use the search option available to you before bumping a thread which is nearly a year old!!! This has been discussed since, rejected again and will not be implemented in the immediate future

I tried using the search, that is how i got this post. (plus the search feature is not the greatest in the world) The search does not allwo you to have subtle variations to the ideas PLUS most posts go off in a tangent.

Why i resonded to the post was to add the idea of having a checkbox to give permission to the MOW or GC.

hmm come to think of it, perhaps there whould be a sliding scale to determine the size of the fleet. i.e. the higfher ranking of the gal lowers the amount of ships allowed.

Last edited by Troglodyte; 6 Jan 2005 at 08:59.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 10:02   #19
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNick152
Ok heres a few ideas that have begun forming in the cavity (ok so I can't spell) that is my head.

How about warp disruptors?

Kind of like a structure or ships or something that would disrupt warpgates and thus slow attackers/defenders down, so instead of arriving in 8 ticks they are delayed one tick or something depending on some kind of percentage system.

would be a ok starting idea if we had 3 tick attacks, but seeming we only attack and defend for 1 tick, that basicly removes any use for any fleets as they would simply be tossed around at various eta's
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 11:57   #20
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte
I tried using the search, that is how i got this post. (plus the search feature is not the greatest in the world) The search does not allwo you to have subtle variations to the ideas PLUS most posts go off in a tangent.

Why i resonded to the post was to add the idea of having a checkbox to give permission to the MOW or GC.

hmm come to think of it, perhaps there whould be a sliding scale to determine the size of the fleet. i.e. the higfher ranking of the gal lowers the amount of ships allowed.
Gal fleet:

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=181965
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=181671 - something similar

There are 2 threads for you. And why exactly would you give the GC or MoW a check box? What for?
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:07   #21
Troglodyte

Not the GC or MOW ...but a checkbox for the players themselves ... basically say ing "I give permission for the use of my alpha fleet for gal defence or not). Using this scenario, the fleet is always at your base incase of attacks, but it gives the ministers some options when others are being attacked and you are not online.

The sliding scale is to aid the smaller gals, because they can have more ships allocated than the bigger galaxies. Giving a little more protection as you slide doen the galaxy rankings.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:13   #22
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte
Not the GC or MOW ...but a checkbox for the players themselves ... basically say ing "I give permission for the use of my alpha fleet for gal defence or not). Using this scenario, the fleet is always at your base incase of attacks, but it gives the ministers some options when others are being attacked and you are not online.

The sliding scale is to aid the smaller gals, because they can have more ships allocated than the bigger galaxies. Giving a little more protection as you slide doen the galaxy rankings.
problem in smaller galaxies is that often there's people not online to use the gal fleet. And why not just limit it to like max fleet score=... 1/40 of the total galaxy value big galaxies won't have their fleets home enough for it to work, and wont give their fleet over as their alliance would probably kick their ass if they did it too much, but in medium / smaller galaxies, some people might well use it.
The problem is, if any ships are added and people go to sleep, so you have say cr incoming (tulas/scorps/hornets) you wouldn't want to send say 5k beetles there, as they'd die. You'd have to be able to select the ships out of the gal fleet "pool" to send, or only get people to add their fleets when they're online, when they could send it themselves...
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:18   #23
arbondigo

Troglodyte you said that you couldn't find any threads with the gal fleet suggested. I just gave you two. Both decline. Do we really need another one which will just be declined too? This is why so many people get annoyed at you and your suggestions.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:20   #24
Troglodyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
or only get people to add their fleets when they're online, when they could send it themselves...
this is what i was thinking, when the player is online they move the ships to a selected base at his planet (only the ships they want to have used for gal defence) .once he allows access via the checkbox will the the ministers then have access to those ships.

If the player comes back online, he has complete control over the ships again and can recall them at any time.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:21   #25
Troglodyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
Troglodyte you said that you couldn't find any threads with the gal fleet suggested. I just gave you two. Both decline. Do we really need another one which will just be declined too? This is why so many people get annoyed at you and your suggestions.

it is similar but not the same .... give me a break !
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:23   #26
arbondigo

It IS the same. You give your ships to a gal fleet.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:26   #27
Troglodyte

No the ships are yours and dont belong to the gal ... but can be used if required if you give the ministers your permission, and they always come back to your planet. You can add remove the ships at anytime, you can decline the use of anymore ships ..
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:30   #28
arbondigo

So they come back to your planet if they're destroyed? That's what you have ingal defence for. Be more active is the answer, not giving others control of your ships.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:41   #29
Troglodyte

Let it Go !

*pondering: maybe i should start a thread about bringing back PDS, just to piss off arbondigo
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 13:05   #30
jaxx

i dont think that Mow controlled gal fleet would be a good idea, its too biassed towards defensive players, the aim of the game is to be ruthless, steal and kill, and this idea would make it even more difficult to successfully attack another player, so aggressive players are punished. Dont like queing idea either.
Jaxx

Unread 6 Jan 2005, 13:14   #31
Appocomaster
PA Team

I think all troglodyte was suggesting was a way to assist the galaxies that have players who have a couple of active members, while the rest are only online for 1-2 hours a day and so aren't using their fleet much, but can offer it for defence of the galaxy.
I guess when it gets down to it it's not worth it, but it was a nice idea.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 13:16   #32
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx
i dont think that Mow controlled gal fleet would be a good idea, its too biassed towards defensive players, the aim of the game is to be ruthless, steal and kill, and this idea would make it even more difficult to successfully attack another player, so aggressive players are punished. Dont like queing idea either.
Jaxx
You didn't read what was being suggested. It wasn't some sort of fleet built out of the gal fund and controlled by the MoW. It was ships voluntarily given by the galaxy to make a gal fleet that could be controlled by the MoW. It would just increase the difficulty of random attacks made by one big person picking on a small gal with only a couple of active players, generally.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 13:31   #33
Troglodyte

Appocomaster for President !

* i think i've already made someone else president ..oh well
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 14:16   #34
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

it's exactly the same as the gal fleet suggestion in effect. therefore it suffers from all the same problems and therefore will b declined just the same. let it die.

-mist
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 14:30   #35
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
it's exactly the same as the gal fleet suggestion in effect. therefore it suffers from all the same problems and therefore will b declined just the same. let it die.

-mist
although i don't think it will be used anywhere near enough to justify it, what problems were there?
say it's coded so:
you have the option to give part of your fleet to your MoW, by ticking a box under one fleet in the fleets section. you can cancel it at any time until he launches part/ all of your fleet, then you have to wait until it gets back.
The MoW gets notified on overview that there are ships awaiting his use in the gal fleet (with a link to politics).
It shows, in a planet by planet breakdown, all the ships offered, and a sort of "base / fleet1" option. He moves whatever ships he wants from the offered ships into fleet 1, and can launch them ingal to defend (say it shows they're from x:y:0). Unit scanning the MoW shows all his ships, and all the ships at his disposal to be in the galfleet, so people have some idea of what the fleet contains.
All I can see is that a) it won't maybe be used so much with slightly bigger gals next round and b) it's only of use when you have a few semi active players who have few roids (so don't get incoming) and when there is galaxyt incoming aren't around, but they know some people are around and they want to be of some use to their galaxy. However, depending on the activity rating in galaxys next round, that could still be of use - next round will be a bit unpredictable as it is.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:10   #36
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: [Discuss] A few ideas to Ponder

after thinking about this a lot I think there are a lot of problems with the suggested ideas - declined

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread