User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 13:56   #1
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Why do PPL dis pds part -2 (new idea)

Instead of having PDS because nobody likes it and only a minority of lets say 5% do.

Then why cant we have a construction that targets structure killers only?
I mean its not like the construction is going to die because its part of the % of other constructions. So its not like they will get bashed.
But also its not PDS becuase it only targets the structure killers.
I dont know if its possible to do this but i think its something to look at doing.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:21   #2
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why do PPL dis pds part -2 (new idea)

You haven’t been the first with that idea. It was 3.1 on my thoughts and ideas. Kal and Kloopy liked the idea.
What do other people think of the suggestion?
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:53   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

IF it can be balanced, then i don't see it as a bad thing

however, i believe that curretly one of the races uses structure killers as pod flack. obviously in this scenario adding pds that targets structure killers only would severly disadvantage that race.

that said, i don't think this is a particularly amazing idea either - i don't think it would change the game much, and i'm not quite sure how easy it would be to code, as combat is targeted by ship type, rather than by ship's target

-mist
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 15:28   #4
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

I believe MOST of ther races use them as pod flak... or they *could* do

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 17:16   #5
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
however, i believe that curretly one of the races uses structure killers as pod flack. obviously in this scenario adding pds that targets structure killers only would severly disadvantage that race.
I think that this is more a problem with the Galleon (read: massively over-powered) rather than with the concept.

I quite like the idea of being able to defend against structure-killers, perhaps we could have.....

Holo-structures?
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 19:11   #6
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
I think that this is more a problem with the Galleon (read: massively over-powered) rather than with the concept.

I quite like the idea of being able to defend against structure-killers, perhaps we could have.....

Holo-structures?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 20:06   #7
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
I have a half-written post that delves into why they are in fact broken by design.

Here's the abridged version:
  1. They discourage large planets getting amps, thus encouraging scan planets.
  2. They destroy disproportionate amounts of (roidearned) resources compared to cost.
  3. Encourage bashing in the same way PDS did.
  4. They discourage 'large planets' (war-time planets) builidng more than 10 or 20 structures, thereby making it easier for them to research HCT.
  5. Losing a structure is the loss of another resource (time) which does not factor into ship building (though it does factor into landing an attack, we shall quickly see that this does not matter).

If anyone wants the full version say so and maybe I'll write it up. Structure defense sounds like a possible way of fixing the problem, except I expect most everyone will want to build it. Which is an indication that something is wrong with the feature.

Last edited by Banned; 27 Nov 2004 at 20:12.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 20:12   #8
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

I have no idea wht the post writer is on about, though others seem to. Please tell me what its about!!
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 20:18   #9
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

the post writer wants a building which fires at attacking ships, a la pds, however they specifically want it to shoot at ships which target buildings. one assumes as a deterant to some git comming and bombing your planet back in to the stoneage

-mist
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 20:37   #10
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Cept it wouldnt be pds it would be another construction which would'nt get bashed because with the structure killers not being able to attack a certain building(maybe another branch in cov op also like you have to kill distorters) and killing only a percentage.

And remember if somoene chooses to buy them they have to pay a lot for them in the long run(aka more you buy the more it costs for constructions) but would line it self out with the fact that if you have 3 of them and you have to run your ships it might kill 2 lets say sphinx with at least you are going to get a bit of salvage for the constructions/roids you have lost rather than nothing.

Last edited by noah02; 27 Nov 2004 at 21:02.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 21:33   #11
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

What are you going on about? From your last post you want say 3 constructions that will kill 2 sphinxes??? PDS is bad. Constructions which shoot at ships is more or less the same as PDS. Just join a decent alliance and your problems are over
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 21:59   #12
noah02
The Original Terran

Red face Re: Why do PPL dis pds part -2 (new idea)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
What are you going on about? From your last post you want say 3 constructions that will kill 2 sphinxes??? PDS is bad. Constructions which shoot at ships is more or less the same as PDS. Just join a decent alliance and your problems are over
Its an example. And its called an idea not a forceful thing that i need.
And its not PDS for the last time.
And they 3 constructions killing 2 sphinxes is an example obviously it would'nt be that bad in comparison it would have to be worked out in what way would work out best for both attacker and defender, whats the matter are you a construction basher? scared of losing one or 2 ships?.
And as for a decent alliance?

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 00:08   #13
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Its an example. And its called an idea not a forceful thing that i need.
And its not PDS for the last time.
And they 3 constructions killing 2 sphinxes is an example obviously it would'nt be that bad in comparison it would have to be worked out in what way would work out best for both attacker and defender, whats the matter are you a construction basher? scared of losing one or 2 ships?.
And as for a decent alliance?
It is PDS
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 01:18   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

he's right, it is

-mist
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 02:42   #15
noah02
The Original Terran

well yes it is but not PDS PDS the sort that gets bashed every 5 mins.
Maybe for those ppl who dont like losing ships(crying non stop) all of these said construction would emp the sctructure killers with a ratio of whatever is best.

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 04:17   #16
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Holo-structures?
We got deathstar, we got deathstar!

<o/ \o/ \o>

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 13:13   #17
arbondigo

Quote:
well yes it is but not PDS PDS the sort that gets bashed every 5 mins.
Maybe for those ppl who dont like losing ships(crying non stop) all of these said construction would emp the sctructure killers with a ratio of whatever is best.
So now you would like your constructions all destroyed? If constructions were to be turned into a form of PDS then people will just send in a lot more structure killers.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 13:27   #18
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

There would probably still be a 20% cap on destroyed structures.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 13:33   #19
noah02
The Original Terran

Angry Re: Why do PPL dis pds part -2 (new idea)

you can only kill a % at the moment and everyone sends structure killers. They send more structure killers its only going to kill the same % with more or less killers.
You are just trying to argue everypoint i put in here without actually thinking about what you are saying.
If i send 100 or 1000 sphinx's its still only gonna kill the same 20% of constructions wether i send more or not. Same as roids your only ever gonna be able to cap 25%.

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 13:44   #20
arbondigo

Yes and if the constructions turn into PDS then people will send enough to kill 20% every time.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 13:51   #21
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
Yes and if the constructions turn into PDS then people will send enough to kill 20% every time.
What and they dont now?

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:12   #22
arbondigo

Quote:
What and they dont now?
Not to the same extent no. Did you play when PDS was around? You would see the bashing that occurred then. A lot of people don't send structure killers to kill 20% of them, but if they were turned into PDS then they would. More people would consequently whinge about 20% of their structures being killed every time they're attacked.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:16   #23
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
What and they dont now?
Right now it's a bonus. Killing structures is just icing on the cake of getting roids. No one lands 'just to kill structures' unless they're taking very low losses.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:23   #24
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What and they dont now?
I generally only send my structure killers along if I dislike the person or alliance I'm attacking.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:37   #25
noah02
The Original Terran

Plus the fact that the whole point of this thread was that they target structure killers only aka if they exist then ppl arent going to start sending structure killers if there not already because its not going to make the slightest bit of difference to there attack.
No losses or anything.

Constructions that target STRUCTURE KILLERS only.
Will not make ppl want to buy more structure killers unless they are out to destroy ppl's structures ALREADY, so if you dont then there is nothing to worry about ie xan ppl dont send structure killers often so its not going to affect there fleet one bit.
Same roids etc... Its only going to be a detterent from ppl killing your structers who want to attack with structure killers because they are already bashing ppls light factorys and wave amps etc...

They anti structure killer is not going to stop you from getting your roids ok?
Its going to stop you from totally bashing someones wave amps as much and maybe earn a bit more salvage rather than non as you do now.

Please understand were this is coming from it wont harm your ROIDING FLEET wont INCREASE BASHING it will lessen it if anything unless someone means to destroy your structures on purpose.

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:38   #26
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Right now it's a bonus. Killing structures is just icing on the cake of getting roids. No one lands 'just to kill structures' unless they're taking very low losses.
So we should get rid of them all together then?

Unread 29 Nov 2004, 11:35   #27
KarnivOre
1337 m£47 3@70r

KarnivOre is an unknown quantity at this point

i think it will be a mixed blessing. the other day i owned someone for 20 structures, it was fun, he was bigger than me and got very upset.

that said, the structure killer construction (SKC) wont work againts that evil "send galleons as defence and maurauders to attack" business, which frankly i see as a demon to deal with.

the problem will be balancing the SKC, what kind of power should it have? if it isnt powerful enough then nobody but a few will bother but if it is too powerful then everyone will have 10 or so to stop structural bombardment.

maybe if we made the SKC use emp and be a bit more powerful, as it wouldnt destroy the ship, just freeze it.

personally im more in favour of the "planetary shield" idea, if that had "shield battery" construction that added 20hp to the shield or somethin then that wud be a much less abusable and more logical path.

[ToF] spamming champ of the year award
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 11:41   #28
Banned
Banned

Quote:
So we should get rid of them all together then?
Get rid of what altogether?
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 12:45   #29
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnivOre
maybe if we made the SKC use emp and be a bit more powerful, as it wouldnt destroy the ship, just freeze it.
I did mention this seems like the better idea i reckon but then unless you get salvage for construction's I think A bit of hitting back would be nice no like superpowerful construction defence just good enough to blast a few ships but not stupid amounts to scare ppl who use them now from using them.

Unread 30 Nov 2004, 23:56   #30
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Discuss] Why do PPL dis pds part -2 (new idea)

Killing structures is a good thing, it's fun. But making these structures basically immune would not be a good idea, it would ruin structure killing. If these were considered IN ADDITION to the 20% that could be bashed that might work - you can only kill 20% real structs, but you can kill ALL the pds structs.
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 10:51   #31
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrem
Killing structures is a good thing, it's fun. But making these structures basically immune would not be a good idea, it would ruin structure killing. If these were considered IN ADDITION to the 20% that could be bashed that might work - you can only kill 20% real structs, but you can kill ALL the pds structs.
I did mention I think somewere that they are a construction PDS ie that you lose 20% not 100% of constructions so you only would lose 20% of construction. whether you lose the said pds will depend what 20% you lose

Unread 1 Dec 2004, 11:05   #32
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I did mention I think somewere that they are a construction PDS ie that you lose 20% not 100% of constructions so you only would lose 20% of construction. whether you lose the said pds will depend what 20% you lose
And my point being that the idea of pds which are IMMUNE to being destroyed is retarded. No one will ever use struct killers. Just get rid of them if you hate it so much.
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 14:02   #33
Iceman
Take that

Iceman is an unknown quantity at this point

make PDS. make PDS a structure. Make more structure killers/structure killers more versatile. make it strategey based like the ships are now, make it another thing to think about. as PDS would be included as a structure/ structures it would be included in whatever cap there would be (maybe consider revising the cap). There surely is a way you can give it an advantage or necessity in the game that ships cannot achieve, only balance.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 02:41   #34
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

PDS rocked!! i remember this back in the early rounds.. we have to have a defense system constructed in the production section with your ships, and these systems will consist of defense guns and turrets that are land based (cannot be assigned to fleets) who will primarily target structure killers and secondarily (i know secondary targets and tertiary targets are being discussed on another thread) will shoot other ships - because realistically, if you have ships assigned to fleets (specially with the existence of structure killers, which we shouldnt get rid of btw), you should also have "land based" defense systems to protect your assets that are on base.. a lot of military bases all over the world use this.. why not in PA? and.. to even make it more interesting.. to boost up the interest of acquiring as much defense systems as a player can, add another structure that is going to be essential to the operation of one's structures.. like a power generation plant or a reactor plant to power these labs and factories, so a player is going to have to add these defense systems to his priorities list of course.. these defense systems will also be targeted by structure killers so there still is that bcalc'ing factor

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh

Last edited by demiGOD; 5 Dec 2004 at 03:34.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 01:15   #35
noah02
The Original Terran

Sort of like what you do in research already
But I get your point on the power thing but would be an expensive game the more you have to build.

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:34   #36
noah02
The Original Terran

We also want bullet proof churches.

Unread 10 Jan 2005, 11:25   #37
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I think that a "construction" targetting purely structure killers, while immune to being killed themselves, isn't ever going to work, whatever form it's in.
Holostructures would be a better idea structures that take 1/2 time to build and die before any of your structures die.
oh, and 40% salvage on your constructions - (0.4 * (!(origional number of structures) - !(remaining number of structures))
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 11:43   #38
noah02
The Original Terran

They would'nt be immune they would just be included in the 20% random construction death that they have at the moment.
but salvage i agree on for sure all them hours and money for what?

Unread 10 Jan 2005, 16:51   #39
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Well, if we have anti structure killers, when do they fire? and if there's a cap on buildings, assuming people have say 3 factories, and maybe 7 other structures. if you go the full hog, you can buy 140 structure killers max. But even the first 20 cost 410k of each resources and the next 20 cost 810k and so on ... how many structure killers would this have to be worth killing, resource wise. It would be hugely uneconomical, and impossible to balance, unless the structure killers' damage was based on how many you had, and did more damage per gun the more you had (for some unexplainable strange reason).
I still stick by my answer that some sort of holoconstruction, 1/2 cost and construction time (rounded up), that doesnt count for your construction total (or maybe even make it count) would be better.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 23:12   #40
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

in reply to the specific question "why do people hate PDS?"

1) PDS can get completely wiped out if a planet is waved by multiple attackers.
2) Unlike a fleet you cannot run it.
3) The larger planets (towards the end of the round) have tendancy to build TONS of it, making it unviable to attack them.
4) If there fleet is out attacking/defending you have a chance to Fleet Catch them or take roids for free (unlikely in the later case)

PDS sux big time forget it in anyway shape or form.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:21   #41
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

declined - pds

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread