User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2004, 01:13   #51
bacon roll
with ketchup

bacon roll is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: im going to post a cricket thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
Freddie has batted poorly? tbh, one thing about freddie is you hardly EVER see him play and miss. Not a massive thing, but nicely reassuring to watch. He looks a very stable comfortable batsman ... I mean dear god, do you actually watch cricket??

Our short sighted selectors? I think you're still stuck in the 90s? there is less than 0 chance freddie will get dropped. He didn't (for any period of time) when he was under performing years back, so he certainly won't now! I mean dear me, he averaged over 50 against both the west indies and South africa with the bat (and prolly the ball too, harhar).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his last 25 innings against top nations he's averaging 50? ... not many sides a batsman wouldn't get into with that average. You really don't know what you're talking about if you seriously think the short sighted selectors would ever drop him on current form :\

The rest of your side is good. Except butcher at #6, you're havign a laugh?!?! Hussain should definitely go though keeping him in the side is jsut pointless. And I would also play hoggard instead of Anderson for the time being. Anderson needs time to improve, but at the same time to be given a lot of support by the english management. Don't want him getting all upset about not playing and dithering away into the wilderness I also think thorpe MUST come in at #4 and flintoff at #5. No point having one of your best batsmen playing so low down unless theres a tailend to stick around like for gilchrist and australia. Its depressing the number of times flintoff has jsut run out of batting partners god, jsut think how high his average would have been against south africa ...
Freddie vs the Aussies next year if he averages over 25 with the bat I will change my mind evan if he averages 50 with the ball as this will prolly make the best player in the side. However I suspect his technique along with others wil be found out. Yes I do watch cricket, I may have contraversial views but as I said I dont care!

Oh yeah does anyone know how old flower is as I am pretty sure he is qualified to play for us aswell?
bacon roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 11:26   #52
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ill be gunning for New Zealand to win this series, being a Kiwi and all heh.

Have nothing to complain about with our present position, though theres a lot more to play yet. Im hoping this wont be a one sided series, after the last two utterly ace series weve had against the Pakis and the Yarpies im of the opinion that this is the best team NZ has fielded in years.

Gotta say im far less confident going into this series though, I respect the Poms far more than I would have a couple of years ago.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:03   #53
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon roll
Freddie vs the Aussies next year if he averages over 25 with the bat I will change my mind evan if he averages 50 with the ball as this will prolly make the best player in the side. However I suspect his technique along with others wil be found out. Yes I do watch cricket, I may have contraversial views but as I said I dont care!
I think Freddie's bowling will be punished a fair bit by the aussies (unless he improves in the meantime of course) - but his batting I do honestly believe is very good. At the moment (or the last time I checked) South Africa were the #2 side in the world, and Freddie averaged 52 against them, and would have been a lot higher had we a decent tail-end. Of course you could argue that then Freddie would have played more conservatively and possibly got out, or maybe a butterfly would have flapped its wings in Japan and caused a hurricane, and so on.

I also went to watch a fair bit of that series and India the year before, and I know its a lame point that shouldn't affect his place in the side - but the crowd does LOVE him. Huge buzz when he comes in, or hits a boundary, etc (yes a lot more so than any other player). Always songs about Freddie being echoed around the ground. I wouldn't be surprised to know that Freddie merchandise sells far more than any other player, maybe the rest of the team combined.

That together with being a very decent batsman and bowler in most professionals' eyes will quite frankly mean he will never ever get dropped (unless he goes maybe 2years out of form).

Its fair enough to say that you would drop him if you were running England (though I'd still reply flaming you) - but to say you wouldn't be surprised if the england selectors would is just complete and utter shite. In the 90s if freddie had a bad series, maybe - Like Trescothick would have been long gone by now - but the current selectors, as they have been for 4yrs now? (time flies) - are 'ace'!

Also, the last time England toured India/Pakistan - which is usually considered a fair test of how good your bowling is, Freddie was not only the pick of the English bowlers, he was fkin good.

Anyway, sorry for going on. Have a mate who dislikes freddie and was always dissing him when every expert in the country was saying he's the next Ian Botham (bullshit his bowling will never be that good) ... so arguing about freddie has more or less become 2nd nature to me over the years
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 20:58   #54
bacon roll
with ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
I think Freddie's bowling will be punished a fair bit by the aussies (unless he improves in the meantime of course) - but his batting I do honestly believe is very good. At the moment (or the last time I checked) South Africa were the #2 side in the world, and Freddie averaged 52 against them, and would have been a lot higher had we a decent tail-end. Of course you could argue that then Freddie would have played more conservatively and possibly got out, or maybe a butterfly would have flapped its wings in Japan and caused a hurricane, and so on.
Pollock is past his best and ntini is not that great they are only good as they have a superb batting line up but as we all know evan they are not close to the aussies an they lack a top class spinner. Although freddie has improved a lot against spin. I am still not sure abou the selectors, the Australian selectors forced Mark Waugh to retire wihle he was still good but our selectors do not have the balls to drop Nasser as it might affect the side in the short term. I am not goin to bang on about Freddie as I would not drop him he does frustrate me with his bowling though as he should be a better bowler than Botham. By the way I do think he is one of the best 1 day players in the world.
Unread 24 May 2004, 14:27   #55
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

That run out was such a **** up

This game is going to be so close.
Unread 24 May 2004, 17:26   #56
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Win \o/
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 17:27   #57
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Amazing game, makes an interesting selection choice for the next test though. Who will they drop.
Unread 24 May 2004, 18:04   #58
bacon roll
with ketchup

Ffs nasser don't you know when to roll over. Butcher is the only batsman who really failed but I think it would be frankly a little harsh to drop him.
Unread 25 May 2004, 00:16   #59
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Certainly wouldn't want to be a selector right now!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/3744149.stm - would certainly make the selectors job much easier!!! Strauss has to be included, Butcher can't be dropped and neither can Hussain, the only viable option i can see is dropping Giles and telling the groundsman to produce a seam friendly wicket, which would also favour the kiwis. Giles did diddly in the Carribbean and ok he bowled well in the 2nd innings, but in England you don't need a spinner in your squad. Plus with Vaughan back you have the potential of a spinner even though he doesn't bowl now due to the stress on his back. Butcher and Trescothick bowl and i'm pretty sure that Strauss bowls though i may be completely wrong on that account!

Good win none the less and i must admit when i was in the uni bar with my gf having lunch before the exam watching the cricket and Butcher had just played an awful shot i didn't think we were going to win!!!
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2004, 02:55   #60
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

I agree about dropping Giles for Strauss (or Vaughan whichever way you look at it) ... but can't see the english selectors doing that.

... ooooh the suspense!
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2004, 14:53   #61
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3753877.stm

That should solve the selectors problems .
Unread 27 May 2004, 18:30   #62
midge5
mmm lambs

Shame, it would have been nice for him toget 100 caps.
Unread 28 May 2004, 19:00   #63
bacon roll
with ketchup

Robert Key in the runs again more selection issues to come me thinks!
Unread 28 May 2004, 22:08   #64
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

i thought it was about that noisy animal =(