User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 3 Mar 2013, 13:03   #1
Illusion
Sex, Drugs & ROCK'n'roll

Illusion is an unknown quantity at this point
"Likes" in forum (Irrelevant to the game)

An idea stroke me after heavy political debates on Facebook:

Maybe we could have "Like" buttons or something similar on posts in the forum, it would make it very easy to see who the majority of the "readers only" or almost neutrals agree more with under heavy debates. It's the only good reason I think of by making the button I can think of right, but its a good enough reason imho. Someone might say its unessecary due to the reputation button, but that only shows the quality or ("likes/dislikes") of the users in general and would be irrelevant to a specific debate.

And before you have a go at me about this being irrelevant to the game:
<Illusion> where should i post suggestions about the forum (not the game) ??
<Lunar_Lamp> Hmm, I am not actually sure!
<Lunar_Lamp> Let me take a look quickly
<Lunar_Lamp> It's probably best to post it in the Planetarion Suggestions section for now, as there doesn't seem to be a section dedicated to the forums.
Round 37-40: HeX DC
Round 41-42: ROCK DC/BC
Round 43: p3nguins
Round 44-49: Ultores
Round 50-56: ROCK HC
Round 57: Ultores
Round 58: p3nguins
Round 59: ROCK HC
Round 60-63: Astatores
Round 64-72: Retirement
Round 73-76: Astatores
Round 77-94: Retirement
Round 95-98: Phoenix
Round 99-101: ODDR
Round 102: Wildcards

Last edited by Illusion; 3 Mar 2013 at 13:06. Reason: Why the suggestion came up
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2013, 14:04   #2
Catwoman

Catwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the rough
Re: "Likes" in forum (Irrelevant to the game)

I like the idea
Unread 3 Mar 2013, 14:17   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's actually this forum.

Anyway, not a fan of this suggestion. Truth cannot be determined by popularity.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2013, 16:23   #4
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

They have that feature on the EvE forums, and it's basically useless.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2013, 08:12   #5
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

I like this idea. If someone likes a particular post, not everyone can be bothered to reply or actually has anything to reply with, but having a like button would allow you to show the poster/community that you like that post.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2013, 08:23   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Which would accomplish... what?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 4 Mar 2013, 08:46   #7
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

That you favour a game suggestion for example.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2013, 09:09   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.

You can already do that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless idiot
I like this!
Which, as I've pointed out twice in this thread already, would accomplish exactly nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Truth cannot be determined by popularity.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 4 Mar 2013 at 09:14.
Unread 4 Mar 2013, 17:07   #9
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

(Sorry Mz - but someone had to do it).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2013, 17:37   #10
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Goto facebook for likes pls...
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2013, 10:32   #11
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

something that might be more useful would be a "Highlight" option, or some such. this could then bring attention to certain threads/posts, and not necessarily due to them being good or liked.

however, considering how few posts we have these days, seems pointless.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2013, 13:55   #12
Illusion
Sex, Drugs & ROCK'n'roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
I like this idea. If someone likes a particular post, not everyone can be bothered to reply or actually has anything to reply with, but having a like button would allow you to show the poster/community that you like that post.
Quote:
You can already do that:

Quote: Clueless Idiot: I like this!

Which, as I've pointed out twice in this thread already, would accomplish exactly nothing.
Did you read Clouds post backwards or something?
Unread 14 Mar 2013, 14:04   #13
Illusion
Sex, Drugs & ROCK'n'roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
Goto facebook for likes pls...
I actually use the Like button alot on FB, but almost never on useless personal status updates.

I use it in pages which concerns politic. It's alot easyer to "like" a comment i agree with than having to make a useless comment saying "I agree with Mr. Olsen due to that, and very much disagree with Mrs. Hansen because of this" when I didn't find the need to post a comment in the first place.

I discuss alot of politics on FB and use the like button alot there, thats what made me think that the PA forums should be preveliged with this "option" too
Unread 14 Mar 2013, 14:45   #14
Grimmy
All ya XP r belong to me

Grimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion View Post
i actually use the like button alot on fb, but almost never on useless personal status updates.

I use it in pages which concerns politic. It's alot easyer to "like" a comment i agree with than having to make a useless comment saying "i agree with mr. Olsen due to that, and very much disagree with mrs. Hansen because of this" when i didn't find the need to post a comment in the first place.

I discuss alot of politics on fb and use the like button alot there, thats what made me think that the pa forums should be preveliged with this "option" too
+1
Unread 14 Mar 2013, 15:01   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
Did you read Clouds post backwards or something?
I don't think I can put it any more clearly than I already have, twice, but since you appear to be particularly dense, I'll repeat myself, one more time:

Whether or not something is popular or not does not determine whether it is true, right or correct.

The only thing a feature like this can accomplish is reinforcing people's misguided beliefs that their unintelligible opinions matter in the slightest.

But here's the sad reality of life (and allow me to switch to a general "you"): The overwhelming odds are that your ideas are stupid. Your opinions mean nothing. Your arguments are vacuous. You wouldn't recognize a good suggestion if it beat up your family and set your house on fire. You are an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
+1
Herp ****ing derp.
Unread 14 Mar 2013, 15:07   #16
Grimmy
All ya XP r belong to me

Grimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Herp ****ing derp.

My feelings they hurt ;_;
Unread 14 Mar 2013, 16:01   #17
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Actually having to write a post forces you think about your opinions aswell, sometimes this can give another point of view on the matter.

Also my experience on forums with likes or similar options, always turn in to a epenis competition, where people try to come up with "clever" responses/one liners to gain alot of likes.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2013, 01:14   #18
Illusion
Sex, Drugs & ROCK'n'roll

Quote:
I don't think I can put it any more clearly than I already have, twice, but since you appear to be particularly dense, I'll repeat myself, one more time:

Whether or not something is popular or not does not determine whether it is true, right or correct.
Thats true, but alot of people would like to see the popularity of it anyway. (Ofcourse it doesnt matter in your egotripping/dictatorshipminded where everything you say is the correct answer to the entire worlds issues and people with other opionions than you should be executed. but our poor little wannabe gangster doesnt have what it takes to commit a murder ;(

Quote:
The only thing a feature like this can accomplish is reinforcing people's misguided beliefs that their unintelligible opinions matter in the slightest.

But here's the sad reality of life (and allow me to switch to a general "you"): The overwhelming odds are that your ideas are stupid. Your opinions mean nothing. Your arguments are vacuous. You wouldn't recognize a good suggestion if it beat up your family and set your house on fire. You are an idiot.

Herp ****ing derp.
Ye, my opinions mean nothing (ONLY YOURS DO.. in your head atleast) and why dont you and your snotty wannabe gangster friends come and try and beat up my familiy (which by the way have rifle, shotguns and semi-automatics) So be prepared please, or maybe not.. the world could use some less snotty egotripping wannabe-gangsters

HAIL LIBERTY AND INVIDUAL FREEDOM! NO TO NAZISM, FACISM, COMMUNISM and MZ-ISM

Last edited by Illusion; 19 Mar 2013 at 02:27.
Unread 19 Mar 2013, 08:36   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Most people are self-aware enough to know whether their posts are coherent. People who can't write coherent posts fall in 2 categories: people who realize it and people who don't. Most people who can't write coherent posts fall in the first category. If you're 2 sentences into writing a post, and you realize you're not making much sense, you'll be unlikely to actually hit the submit button.

That's the great thing about writing: it's self-selecting, to a large degree. If you can't make sense, you probably won't post. People who can't make sense yet do post are usually easily recognizable: they're the Yoshikas and nelitos in this world.

Note that making sense isn't the same as being right. Even with the barrier of entry as low as it is here, we regularly see interesting discussions on various subjects, involving people who disagree with each other, often strongly, yet for the most part aren't being completely batshit insane.

Adding a 'like' mechanism removes that barrier and allows all the people who are incapable of either forming or recognizing a good argument to vent their idiocy. Which brings us back to my original point. Again.

P.S. Next time, might I suggest refraining from constructing a straw man from 4 words ('beat up your family') ripped out of their fairly innocuous context (ie, a surreal hyperbole not to be taken literally) and instead replying to my actual argument? It'd probably be better for your blood pressure.
Unread 19 Mar 2013, 10:49   #20
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

adding a like feature to the forums would speed up their death as instead of writing a reply and continuing the discussion people will just click the like button and feel they have contributed when they haven't,
like work on facebook bit within a forums they wouldn't as you need to add to a discussion for it to continue ,
so if you like a post quote it and say why and add to the posters rep
save the likes for facebook they contribute nothing here

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2013, 22:03   #21
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
There's actually this forum.

Anyway, not a fan of this suggestion. Truth cannot be determined by popularity.
But the popularity contest behind what is regarded as "Truth" can be exposed.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote