User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:09   #1
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
A few changes

Here is a few ideas for some changes. I debated making a series of posts, decided would put them all here and can make new posts if it seems there is any legs in any of the ideas...

1)
How about a round where, if you declare war ingame, then the alliance you are hitting gets NO salvage in defence and the bash limits are removed?
And add in that any other alliance hitting the alliance declared war on gets a REDUCED cap of only 10%.

2)
Remove scanners. Seriously, I can't remember any time when someone is unscannable, so make all scans except I-scans ignore dists. Then scanning becomes much more planet based (do your own damn scans).

3)
Tag limit. With no scanners needed, spots not needed for scanners. Drop tag to 50 with all 50 counted (or only 40 counted). Have score earned when not in a tag, lost. Why should another alliance get score for a planet who hasn't been with them.

4)
Night play. It is rubbish.
Alternate rounds so that on 'some' rounds, roid cap or score is increased x 0.5 or something for attacks launched after 0959 gametime. Make attacking during those timezones attractive for some rounds.

5)
Change the way alliances/galaxies/planets 'win'. Can be value/score/xp but alternate it. Force people to think about how they play. An attacking round could be a value round (harder to build value). A defensive round an xp round. Etc etc. Calculate ranks based on this rather than always score.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:10   #2
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: A few changes

Thanks to a few players for the ideas!
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:18   #3
Sk8az

Sk8az is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting ideas mr !
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:19   #4
Blink

Blink is an unknown quantity at this point

Or just go on a PA strike, starve out PA's one chance of income which will either force them to develop it further, or... Just remove the game. Fair enough, the games been around for a while. But a game is only worth playing if it gradually improves to suit the community (i.e. the tag limit).

/me goes on strike
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:35   #5
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post
......... And add in that any other alliance hitting the alliance declared war on gets a REDUCED cap of only 10%.
If we could change the mindset of (some of) the players this might be a good idea - but we all know that this would be too easy to abuse.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:35   #6
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...&postcount=540
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...&postcount=442

I've suggested alliance golden roids in the above posts to encourage more incentive to war on top of the OP (Forrest's) suggestions
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:38   #7
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
1)
How about a round where, if you declare war ingame, then the alliance you are hitting gets NO salvage in defence and the bash limits are removed?
As a habitual defender I dislike this, defence is already fairly unattractive in terms of the xp it gives... however for just the short period of a war it might be tolerable.
Removing bash limits strikes me as odd, you aint gonna go to war with an ally cos they are too small?? what does the ability to thump an ally's scanners add to the game? (except ofc you are removing them!)
Quote:
And add in that any other alliance hitting the alliance declared war on gets a REDUCED cap of only 10%.
Great idea to remove the 'accidental' gal raid on an ally already at way then plead innocence (sometimes justified often not), this makes alliances war if they want to war, cuts the cloak and dagger.

Quote:
2)
Remove scanners. Seriously, I can't remember any time when someone is unscannable, so make all scans except I-scans ignore dists. Then scanning becomes much more planet based (do your own damn scans).
Again I agree. Im sure some people will say people like being scanners (and wont play if they don't get the chance) but surely they can just be annoying cov oppers instead!

Quote:
3)
Tag limit. With no scanners needed, spots not needed for scanners. Drop tag to 50 with all 50 counted (or only 40 counted). Have score earned when not in a tag, lost. Why should another alliance get score for a planet who hasn't been with them.
I guess my opinion on this is obvious from the AD thread! Yes!
Quote:
4)
Alternate rounds so that on 'some' rounds, roid cap or score is increased x 0.5 or something for attacks launched after 0959 gametime. Make attacking during those timezones attractive for some rounds.
I tend to agree that the exhaustion of night DCing is one of the worst things of the game, but shift it and everyone will complain they cant defend when they are at work!
Coming back for the first time since r40 I actually think this is worse than it was my recollection was that attacks had settled in the latter half of the night with 04:00 or 05:00 beginnings to raids launches common, but 03:00 or even 02:00 seem to be the starting gun atm... the earlier it is the worse it is for players sleep. Exactly why it is done ofc.
I cant find it but i'm sure it was once long ago suggested that players should have a 3 hour sleep immunity from hostile in comings that gets set 12 hours ahead and is visible on a p-scan. Thus giving everyone some guaranteed sleep.

Quote:
5)
Change the way alliances/galaxies/planets 'win'. Can be value/score/xp but alternate it. Force people to think about how they play. An attacking round could be a value round (harder to build value). A defensive round an xp round. Etc etc. Calculate ranks based on this rather than always score.
Well i didnt play but im told last round was xp, PA has always had its xp interludes to the value domination.
For this I wonder whether the top of some of the other universe listings like cov-ops should get an eorc acknowledgement, thus slightly raising the cudos of playing for that goal.
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 22:40   #8
Forest

ty paisley, i like your ideas too. it would make the game seem fresh again (maybe) whilst keeping to the same game we always play
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 23:00   #9
Krypton
KK

Krypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the rough

2) I dont feel 50 is strong enough

I also want galaxy sizes looked at, bp sizes reduced and late starters abolished
Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 23:03   #10
Forest

damn late starters was on my original list and i forgot to write it!

cheers londo
Unread 19 Feb 2015, 23:06   #11
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Forest, I value your try to get some ideas into the game, but unfortunately the code (if it hasn't improved lately) is really hard to addept to any changes that you propose. :-)

There are definately possibilities to improve gameplay. But with even less (active) players every round its getting more and more useless.

We need more players to keep the "game" alive, that will change the behaviour again :-)

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 00:09   #12
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
I also want galaxy sizes looked at, bp sizes reduced and late starters abolished
Obviously with a reduction in tag sizes gals have to shrink too, otherwise too many big gals would become unraidable.
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 00:37   #13
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1)
No, simply no. If anything this game needs more incentive to fight battles, not less. This would just mean it gets harder to defend as there is less incentive to fight the battle on the defensive side.

Quote:
Too exploitable, all you need is 2 1-man tags to declare war on you in a cycle to put a reduced cap on all 'random' inc.

Quote:
2)
agreed, or make it that disting doesn't put so much hurt on your potention to build value.

Quote:
3)
agreed to the all players counted and no score from time planets weren't in your alliance. with no need for scanners a tagsize of 50 seems reasonable.

Quote:
4)
Agreed, but the day-time benefits shouldn't only be on the attack side of things. again, this game needs more incentive to fight battles.

Quote:
5)
agreed, an other way to score would be nice. Also a prize should go to the planet that killed the most value.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 00:50   #14
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Drop gal sizes, it will make it easier for smaller tags to attack gals.
Have public intel, so there is no point for bigger allready filled up alliance to place their multies and spies into the tags with open recruitment.
Remove or re-do prelaunch, i dont see the problem being able to decide what LT your fleet is gonna land at, but atleast the fleet should leave the base, and have some ETA to return back home if the PL was to be canceled, and show the REAL ETA on JGPs from PLs.
There is no problem for alliances attacking early evening or early morning, the night dependancy is partly do to how easy PLing is.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 09:46   #15
Forest

if there is a higher cap for launching during the day, removing pl completely for 'some' rounds should be doable surely?

at lot depends on appo and how easy these suggestions are to code
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 11:15   #16
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
Have public intel, so there is no point for bigger allready filled up alliance to place their multies and spies into the tags with open recruitment.
I dont think this would work, if you make the ingame intel system public alliances will just go back to only using their bots to hold intel.
Quote:
Remove or re-do prelaunch, i dont see the problem being able to decide what LT your fleet is gonna land at, but atleast the fleet should leave the base, and have some ETA to return back home if the PL was to be canceled, and show the REAL ETA on JGPs from PLs.
There is no problem for alliances attacking early evening or early morning, the night dependancy is partly do to how easy PLing is.
I have no problem with removing prelaunch. Perhaps simply make it riskier; by that I mean that a JGP would actually show 2+8 or whatever and so prelaunch would be risking the defender prearranging defence far more than happens atm. Why shouldnt DCing happen before bedtime too!!
Ofc prelaunch was created because before it existed everyone complained about getting up at 2 am just to launch a fleet... but they still did it!
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 12:48   #17
Bane
Shadows and Dust

Bane is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of j scans seeing by how much a prelaunch is done, makes larger ship classes able to defend against against the smaller ship classes they target too without guessing of PL.

Atm its useless except for attack or ingal def.

R3 or so - Cell/Elysium
Looong break
R20 - Orbit
R21 - Subh (Finished rank 58)
8 year break
R60 - ND -> Ultores (Finished rank 48)
R61 - Rogues

14:05 <Swing> I wear a cape and a burger king paper crown when i play pa
14:10 <Zwanstic> u also talk alot of shit
14:14 <Blue_Esper> you're a weird unit
12:33 <hone> oddr is where we send all the semi retarded and gay bashing ult has beens LOL
12:34 <hone> thats where u should be swing lol
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 13:54   #18
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I like the idea of j scans seeing by how much a prelaunch is done, makes larger ship classes able to defend against against the smaller ship classes they target too without guessing of PL.

Atm its useless except for attack or ingal def.
A good active DC rarely has to guess. People are creatures of habit and send on the same 3 ticks most of the time. Alliances like CT who have multiple classes allow big ships to hit on wave 1 giving away that way. And every alliance has a spy in about every other alliance.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 17:21   #19
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1)
How is this fair? So basically, if you declare war, you can bash that alliance down especially if they're getting blocked too. I suppose this idea is aimed at alliances like Ultores so they get penalised for defending.

Quote:
4)
I wouldn't say that night-play is rubbish, but I like the variety in this idea.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 18:01   #20
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
How is this fair? So basically, if you declare war, you can bash that alliance down especially if they're getting blocked too. I suppose this idea is aimed at alliances like Ultores so they get penalised for defending.
Actually no, it is the opposite and would help the better alliances.

It is to stop alliances trolling other alliances just because they lost.

Speaking from experience Spore got trolled by TF just because Spore won fast and lost the round. CT took ND apart who just kept hitting out of spite, even though they were just getting bashed down.

PA has long been a game of 'you beat us so we will stop you winning'.

This would allow us to smash an alliance down so badly that they can't do that. They would have to decide, end the war earlier or know you will get beat so badly you wont be able to troll.

This round wouldn't be such a bore fest if CT had been able to make ND go attack elsewhere and ND members certainly would have held ND hc account more.

This isnt a one off, it seems to happen more and more and as a way of changing the rounds about, into an almost winner takes all game. You could have differing amounts of salvage per round and see what happens.
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 18:05   #21
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

Too exploitable, all you need is 2 1-man tags to declare war on you in a cycle to put a reduced cap on all 'random' inc.
That could be worked out in the details pretty easily enough, by having a sliding scale % drop depending on the size of the alliance you have declared war on etc
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 19:46   #22
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Actually no, it is the opposite and would help the better alliances.

It is to stop alliances trolling other alliances just because they lost.
Removing salvage for defence won't achieve this though. Especially in ND's case who don't defend anyway. Also, removing salvage will promote more trolling, as you can't defend against troll attacks without salvage.

Quote:
CT took ND apart who just kept hitting out of spite, even though they were just getting bashed down.
CT did not take ND apart. That's all in your head. I would say that ND were the victors because they didn't give up, while CT were crying for a ceasefire.
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 19:55   #23
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post

CT did not take ND apart. That's all in your head. I would say that ND were the victors because they didn't give up, while CT were crying for a ceasefire.
ad is for trolling,

some of us here are actually interested in saving the game
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 20:00   #24
Clouds

Quote:
ad is for trolling,

some of us here are actually interested in saving the game
It's not trolling, it's an opinion. You started the alliance discussions on this thread by talking about how "CT smashed ND." Hypocrite.
Unread 20 Feb 2015, 20:15   #25
Forest

I was discussing strategy and avoiding things that are ruining the game, and putting it in that context.

You did not.
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 00:46   #26
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

What if other with some special ally access level could control other's players defense fleet if that player allowed. Like a check box in a fleet allowing the ships there to be used freely in defense by ally. That would help allies with one or two ppl willing to DC to reach a level closer of allies like Ultores.
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 21:26   #27
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortran View Post
What if other with some special ally access level could control other's players defense fleet if that player allowed. Like a check box in a fleet allowing the ships there to be used freely in defense by ally. That would help allies with one or two ppl willing to DC to reach a level closer of allies like Ultores.
No thanks.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2015, 21:54   #28
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
No thanks.
No thanks was a good argument idd, but what if you elaborated it more?