User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 3 Mar 2006, 22:29   #51
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Re: Game Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
Along the lines of this last tactic there is another tactic/bug exploitation that [MC]Hellfire suggested to me on IRC:
"i got a suggestion for the resources one.
you dont need to spend, just spend right after it ticks. and cancel just before it ticks again. that way your value will be lowered and people will think you spend your resources, while in fact you havent done a thing It wont show as you keep them in production, so unless they scan you between x:00:00 - x:01:00 they wont know having a past in wich you actually did spend a load of resources works in these scenario's offcos"

So essentially what this tactic allows you to do is to spend your resources before your value is calculated for a given tick, this causes your value to drop significantly (which your attacker can see) but allows you to cancel the actual production without having to pay the penalty for having ships in production for a tick. This coupled with a bluff PA mail has a lot of weight.
Actually, you have interpreted what he said wrong. He is saying that if you spend you resources before the value tick, and then cancel them before the tick, then your value won't drop, but it will stay the same, giving the impression that you have no resources saved. Then when you get incomings you can spend your resources for real, and your attacker will be non the wiser. There is no need to send a PA-mail or anything, just don't get any defence and watch your attack squeal when he sees his fleet decimated
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2006, 08:03   #52
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
Actually, you have interpreted what he said wrong. He is saying that if you spend you resources before the value tick, and then cancel them before the tick, then your value won't drop, but it will stay the same, giving the impression that you have no resources saved. Then when you get incomings you can spend your resources for real, and your attacker will be non the wiser. There is no need to send a PA-mail or anything, just don't get any defence and watch your attack squeal when he sees his fleet decimated
Well you might have been right, but I asked him to proof what I wrote and he stated, and I quote, "exactly right." Also the suggestion you make is intreguing, and could be considered another tactic worth adding to the list of liquid asset options. The counter to your strategy and the one I posted are identical, simply do resource scans before you launch, and 5 ticks before you land, all will be revealed.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2006, 22:59   #53
Flumps

Flumps is an unknown quantity at this point

well if you want bluff tactics both fake attack and fake defence are appearing to do things you aren't
Flumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2006, 14:52   #54
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Quote:
Well you might have been right, but I asked him to proof what I wrote and he stated, and I quote, "exactly right." Also the suggestion you make is intreguing, and could be considered another tactic worth adding to the list of liquid asset options. The counter to your strategy and the one I posted are identical, simply do resource scans before you launch, and 5 ticks before you land, all will be revealed.
LOL, you obviously do NOT understand the tactic. Doing scans will not reveal a single thing, as your resources will always be the same, and so will your value. It has worked many times for [MC]Hellfire this round, whereby he has been able to cover himself, with resources his attackers didn't know he had. The only counter to this strategy is to scan your target IMMEDIATELY after the tick, before he has chance to spend his resources.
Ultores
Unread 5 Mar 2006, 16:11   #55
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
LOL, you obviously do NOT understand the tactic. Doing scans will not reveal a single thing, as your resources will always be the same, and so will your value. It has worked many times for [MC]Hellfire this round, whereby he has been able to cover himself, with resources his attackers didn't know he had. The only counter to this strategy is to scan your target IMMEDIATELY after the tick, before he has chance to spend his resources.
Ah, I see what you are saying, you have to do this for multiple ticks in a row to build up the resources however, which takes a lot of dedication, because you have to get the timing right every tick.

#strategy
Unread 9 Mar 2006, 18:14   #56
Colt
Mercenary

yes
Ultores
Unread 14 Mar 2006, 15:55   #57
Monroe

Here is another rather nasty tactic I have recently seen being used. It's a varient on a fleet catch. Essentially what you do is you launch a fake attack on a top planet. That's right a fake attack, and you land it. When it is eta 1 or 2 to target you check out the defense, find the defender you want to fleet catch, and then arrange a fleet catch knowning when his fleet will be returning. This allows a big zik, or a battle group to hand pick whom they will fleet catch, and exactly which fleets the zik will steal. It's a rather nasty tactic.
Counter: two counters, do a fleet scan of all incomming, if it's listed as a fake attack, don't find defense. Other counter is just to find the defense needed to stop the fleet catch, which can be rather difficult.
Counter-Counter: Send the attack for real, and simply pull at the last possible second. FA won't be able to tell you anything then.

#strategy
Unread 17 Mar 2006, 11:12   #58
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It should be noted, however, that if the enemy does a Fleet scan and sees that your fleet is a fake attack, they can then fleetcatch you straight back and you loose your fleet. Ditto for any co-attackers. Also, it still applies to just a normal (non-fake) attack too, however it might take two or three ticks worth of launching to actually catch you (as you might recall before the tick, or land anyway (<3 Benneh ), and thus need to be caught).

If you intend to do nasty things like that to people, get someone to constantly JGP yourself (or JGP a returning fleet) to see whether the hostiles start piling up.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2006, 12:20   #59
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts

You know about some physics law, the power and it's reaction. So, if you really make someone mad, he might get whoever he knows to get you. (Of course, don't worry if you're in #1 alliance, or an XP-er )

If you can comfort a tear, do so, but never agrieve someone innocent.
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2006, 12:12   #60
Bos
Former Monkey

Bos will become famous soon enoughBos will become famous soon enough

I am too lazy to actually paste all the combat reports and edit out the coords, but I cannot help mention that my fleets of 4k xan FI with 1 shadow just keep landing and landing.

people really should do newsscans of their attacker and keep a couple brigands or beets or pegasus at home, but they never do
Unread 2 Jun 2006, 13:14   #61
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Here is another rather nasty tactic I have recently seen being used. It's a varient on a fleet catch.
Attacking top planets reminded me of some things I have done previously, using large defence sink planets in order to get roids.

Faking an attack against them (works good if you can't be fleet scanned by them, most big planets rush for finance centres anyway...), and getting a scanner to send along one ship at the same eta, then you retal the defenders. The scanner lands, and tells you if the defence was real. I did it a few times last round but once I overslept and accidentally fleetcaught 2k broadswords, which put a serious dent in my BS fleet at the time. I guess the main idea behind this is abusing scanners to work out if def against your fake attack is real and retallable, or not.

Double bluffing a fake is another nice defensive idea. If defending against cath CR, send a fleet with the same # of ships as your scarab and your mantis, and, assuming the attacker looks active and the calc makes it look like a clear recall, replace some of those 'scarabs' with scorpions instead! If it's CR, they recall, if it's FR, they splat. I did it occasionally last round with syren faked as barghest against cath CR as well, and the first attack that landed on me was an angel faking FR as CR and dying against my freshly built syren (I told him I was building barghest...)

Intricate fleetcatches or kill strikes can also be managed against some races. I like faking CR with my black widow/mantis and wiping out zikonian cruiser fleets, assuming the target hasn't built many clippers. They assume I'm just CR retalling an attacker and may jus send anti CR. Sending chimera faked as BS against a cath can also knock out a lot of their ships if tarantula are not around, or revenant+FI flak faked as FR against a zik with their marauders out works nicely at killing CO as well.

Of course, these ideas all depend on there being very specific fleet combinations and situations to take advantage of!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 16:55   #62
Robsch

Robsch is on a distinguished road

why not keep your best tactics for yourself, but spread it on the forum. You give away an advantage or two there
Robsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 17:02   #63
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsch
why not keep your best tactics for yourself, but spread it on the forum. You give away an advantage or two there
going into vac-mode is a god tactic too it seems
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 19:59   #64
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
You want good strong opposition to play against...
Otherwise it gets boring
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 21:29   #65
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Because, after thoroughly enjoying a lake district holiday with my gf, I've decided to give up PA and enjoy my Summer, so I'm not going to benefit much from any advantages anyway

I should probably tell people, but I cbad.
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 22:23   #66
Robsch

Robsch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Because, after thoroughly enjoying a lake district holiday with my gf, I've decided to give up PA and enjoy my Summer, so I'm not going to benefit much from any advantages anyway
sounds like a good reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
I should probably tell people, but I cbad.
guess thats kinda not funny to do, prolly people dont want to let you go...
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
Robsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 22:26   #67
Monroe

Gate, nice tactics, thanks for sharing them. The only real problem as far as this thread is concerned is they are very round specific tactics. Can you provide a 3-4 sentance outline of a general tactic? If not I'll think of something, and add it.

#strategy
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 17:48   #68
Monroe

Gates strategies have been added.

#strategy
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 11:37   #69
add100
add

add100 has a spectacular aura aboutadd100 has a spectacular aura about

i have to say i do not like how Rogues and Buccaneers are this round the two of them are de and they target bs i liked it more last round when Rogues where bs v bs.....
r21 Wolfpack
r22 Jenova
r23 Destiny
add100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 12:46   #70
Gate
;D!

Um, don't remember if it's been added yet.

Anyway, if you're playing chicken (eg. roach vs spectre, BS vs wraith), you can always do a 'warp core sabotage' on the target when you're a few minutes from landing. It's a very rough estimate, but it gives you an idea of what he has home. If you blow up the wraith/spec then it's likely they've not been run!
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 21:32   #71
Monroe

Nice addition gate, it's a covert op tactic, I love it! Tactic added.

#strategy
Unread 21 Aug 2006, 22:36   #72
Monroe

Here is another tactic I have used to devistating effect against t20 planets. This is an advanced tactice and is a specialization on the multi-race attack. This attack involves combining large zik and large xans in a massive attack. If you can get 4 or 5 large Xan's and ziks who have stolen FI/CO pods you can do what i call a 'fast attack.' So by throwing a huge number of FI/CO of different races at a single target you can overwhelm any chance of defense because of the short amount of time available to cover it, and by timing it as a late night attack when defensive resources are already stretched. Because the target has a large number of roids there are enough roids to make it worth it for each individual attacker. Done properly I have found this tactic to have about a 90% success rate even against the top planets. As always be very warry of fleet catches in response. But again the beauty is if you get past the first tick uncovered it won't be covered, and so you can always have an attacker or two pull if they are going to get fleet caught and still roid away.

#strategy
Unread 22 Aug 2006, 02:46   #73
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
But again the beauty is if you get past the first tick uncovered it won't be covered, and so you can always have an attacker or two pull if they are going to get fleet caught and still roid away.
There is in-galaxy defence still, using classes that are sometimes hard to counter with FI only (depending on the ship stats), such as Spectres (back in the day) or whatever .

But yes, you are right. Back in Round 13, my alliance VisioN used to do massive FI raids on Zik planets, who because of the ship stats had a major vulnerability to FI raids untill they had stolen large amounts of TBT. anyway, Teh Zik Killaz (our BG) used to send 3 or 4 waves of 200k+ fighters at some hapless Zik, and only once was it sucessfully beaten back (even after launch recalling). Mind, once one wave got fleetcaught and another crashed, but it worked so many other times it was still prolly worth it.

Ah, the memories .
Unread 22 Aug 2006, 15:41   #74
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
There is in-galaxy defence still, using classes that are sometimes hard to counter with FI only (depending on the ship stats), such as Spectres (back in the day) or whatever .
While this is true, generally if you get enough FI/CO there is no way in gal can cover it, there are just too many FI/CO, and because you use multi race ships there is no ship that can be sent to defend that doesn't get killed, so essentially you scare all the defenders away.

#strategy
Unread 23 Oct 2006, 16:39   #75
Cowmando
is your god

Cowmando is an unknown quantity at this point

well i have not posted here for a while so here is another tactic (I don't think it has been said before). This tactic is probably best used at a time of war or for smaller players where the chances of defence at unuseual launch times.

The Fleet Dodge:
This tactic is similer to the fleet catch but instead of aiming to land the same tick their fleet gets back you aim to land the tick before. Although it can work with any classes of ship as people are generally reluctant to recall defence. It works best when it is done when your fleet has a faster eta that the retirning fleet so the can't choose to recall and defend instead of landing. The aim of this attack is to land when your targets ships that target you attack fleet will not be home. So if the targets defence ships verses your attack ships are also their attack ships you can use this to your advantage. In the current round a good example of this would be attacking cath while their cruisers are out with destroyers. As destroyers are faster than cruisers you can time it so they will have no cruisers home (unless they build some more) and as currently caths only anti-destroyer ships are their cruisers (roaches) they would have to rely on others to defend them.
Cowmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 03:41   #76
Monroe

nice cowmando, I will add it to the list.

#strategy
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 03:56   #77
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Dont forget to update the PA wiki whilst you're at it, mate .
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 08:00   #78
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

do it yourself !
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 03:57   #79
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Alliance politics are outside the purview of this thread. Also, i'd like to keep AD flamewars out of Strategy, if you would be so kind, Sid.
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 16:06   #80
Monroe

I would concure with Sovereign, please keep ally politics out of this thread, IF however someone wants to start a political tactics thread, that might be interesting.

#strategy
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 15:34   #81
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

Something i saw happern the other night, and whether it was intentional or not it works damn well, apologies if it's been mentioned before.

It involves intentionally not completing the travel time researchs. Basically, one fleet launchs a fleet (BS in this instance) at eta 11, this is generally covered. Next tick however another,fleet is launched to land on the same tick at eta 10, this again can be generally covered. On the eta 9 several big fleets are then lauched, which means additional defense has to be found. Generally speaking though due to the now size of the wave and the nature of anti bs this round this is difficult to get hold of. Additionally, any anti bs that had been sent would probably have to be recalled as losses mount up, meaning that defence fleets have been pulled out for several ticks, depending on whether or not the defenders are online to pull their fleets.

This therefore is a great way to tie up defence fleets for the night, though at the cost of TT research. Obviously the target would have to be big enough to warrent the use of so many fleets, but it can be a real pain for defenders

Edit: i suppose similar to this but with the travel times completed would be to send differant eta ships that lnd on the same tick but launch at differant ticks

-Cead

Last edited by Ceadrath; 7 Nov 2006 at 17:49.
Ceadrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 18:57   #82
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadrath
Something i saw happern the other night, and whether it was intentional or not it works damn well, apologies if it's been mentioned before.

It involves intentionally not completing the travel time researchs. Basically, one fleet launchs a fleet (BS in this instance) at eta 11, this is generally covered. Next tick however another,fleet is launched to land on the same tick at eta 10, this again can be generally covered. On the eta 9 several big fleets are then lauched, which means additional defense has to be found. Generally speaking though due to the now size of the wave and the nature of anti bs this round this is difficult to get hold of. Additionally, any anti bs that had been sent would probably have to be recalled as losses mount up, meaning that defence fleets have been pulled out for several ticks, depending on whether or not the defenders are online to pull their fleets.

This therefore is a great way to tie up defence fleets for the night, though at the cost of TT research. Obviously the target would have to be big enough to warrent the use of so many fleets, but it can be a real pain for defenders

Edit: i suppose similar to this but with the travel times completed would be to send differant eta ships that lnd on the same tick but launch at differant ticks
Well I don't see this as a very viable tactic, at least compared to the alternative. Better I think to launch ALL BS eta 10 and make them scramble for defense then to string things out over an addition couple of hours and actually increase the chance of defense. As a general rule when an attacker shows up at a funny eta the first step always taken is to get a tech scan and so quickly figure out what was sent. This is an interesting tactic, but not one that I feel should generally be used and therefor unless there is strong disagreement I will leave it out of the list of suggested tactics.

#strategy
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 20:12   #83
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

Quote:
Well I don't see this as a very viable tactic, at least compared to the alternative. Better I think to launch ALL BS eta 10 and make them scramble for defense then to string things out over an addition couple of hours and actually increase the chance of defense. As a general rule when an attacker shows up at a funny eta the first step always taken is to get a tech scan and so quickly figure out what was sent. This is an interesting tactic, but not one that I feel should generally be used and therefor unless there is strong disagreement I will leave it out of the list of suggested tactics.
Admittedly it's slightly unusual, and yes it does allow for more time to get defense. But if the final wave is not covered then other previous defence fleets are lost for several ticks, essentially wasting them.

But it's your show, just thought i'd share

-Cead
Ceadrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2006, 11:41   #84
`mac^
Retired insomniac

`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold

I used this tactic early round. The aim was to confuse DC’s into thinking that the incs were BS when infact they were DE . This worked very well when coupled with lots of dists. Although a bit of a bugger when you find out you are shour of 1 dist to block an allies top scanner, as i sadly found out in the end

Currently - Ultores
`mac^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 23:07   #85
Illuvatar
Mastermind

Illuvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowmando

Now for a new tactic i have been useing recently when i have been playing Zik.

Tactic: Liquid Assets
Description: Due to zik ships stealing other classes of ships this often leads to you fleet compositon getting less concentrated over time. So I have taken to saveing up a bit of resources instead of spending them all, I do still grow my fleets i just don't spend all my resources. This means that when i am under attack i can then spend the built up resources on the type of ship that fires at the class attacking me and makeing my fleet more concentrated again. This tactic has several advantages firstly an attacker may recall instantly if they planet scan and see you resources fall massively. The next main advantage is that some people sometime neglect/forget to planet scan their targets, this can lead to them landing when they thnink they have the advantage when you really have it. This is very good for ziks later in the round as it becomes harder to steal later in the round but useing this tactic one neglegent attacker can lead to a nice steal for you (obviously calc this either on a battle calc or in your head do not throw away your ships on an assumption). This tactic can also be used by other races but i find it is most effective for ziks. ummm i am sure there is something i have forgoten but that sort of thing happens when you only get 9 and a half hours sleep in the past 3 days, plz if you work out what i have missed add it.

Counter: planet scan all your targets b4 launching and again b4 landing

now for the next tactic that i find most effective
Stockpiling

Community Leader
Illuvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 00:17   #86
Monroe

Now that multiclass targeting has been brought back into the game, does anyone have any new tactics they would like to add? For one fake attacks and fake defense have both become significantly more powerful as there are more possible fake options. I have seen a significant increase in the number of FI faked as FR attacks, or CO faked as DE attacks this round. Has anyone else noticed any changes to the strategies employed?

#strategy
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 07:26   #87
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Well, as i'm not actually playing this round (who works four jobs?! ), i would imagine that there would be more people trying to take advantage of second class targeting; ie, sending Syren? to take the hits rather than the pod class Destroyers (or cruisers) or whatever.

Whilst i'm not overly convinced that sending a ship's T1 in place of its T2 (which fires at reduced firepower) is especially brilliant generally, i'm sure that there are plenty of instances where it could be made beneficial to the attacker with some planning. Plus, those Syren (or whatever) can now also shoot at two defending classes themselves...
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 13:32   #88
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use Syren/Wyvern all the time myself, although I didn't notice its awesomeness until halfway through the round. Syrens first take a small hit from Shadows (T2), then smother to death any spectres present, allowing comfortable cap.

As for Syren/Pegasus/Drake, I dislike the higher eta, and including the Syrens makes faking it as bs rather useless.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 15 Dec 2007 at 23:31.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 23:23   #89
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

syrens don't really "utterly rape" anything, more like they smother to death at the efficiency of taking a qebab to a fat people market
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 23:31   #90
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fine. Fits better with the "comfortable cap" part anyway.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2008, 22:03   #91
Monroe

New tactic in R29 which I am calling "Stupid Defense." With the advent of landing scans sending any defense at all is getting people to recall sometimes. Especially if the target has distorters and is hard to scan. Folks would rather not risk landing at all rather then land on what could just be one harpy or spider. It doesn't work if they can get a jumpgate scan, but for attackers who are lazy I have seen it be quite effective. Anyone else notice this trend?

#strategy
Unread 13 Nov 2008, 17:17   #92
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
New tactic in R29 which I am calling "Stupid Defense." With the advent of landing scans sending any defense at all is getting people to recall sometimes. Especially if the target has distorters and is hard to scan. Folks would rather not risk landing at all rather then land on what could just be one harpy or spider. It doesn't work if they can get a jumpgate scan, but for attackers who are lazy I have seen it be quite effective. Anyone else notice this trend?
i had forgotten about landing scans. guess that explains all the 1 visible ship defense fleets i've been seeing lately..
Unread 13 Nov 2008, 17:42   #93
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
i had forgotten about landing scans. guess that explains all the 1 visible ship defense fleets i've been seeing lately..
Also people xp whoring with 1 def ship
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2008, 17:43   #94
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
Also people xp whoring with 1 def ship
True.

Gives you 300xp if you're the only def landing + the travel xp.

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 20:31   #95
EnqVertisua

EnqVertisua is an unknown quantity at this point

Great heads up, this has been alot of help thanks.
Unread 24 Feb 2009, 07:43   #96
Monroe

I've noticed people using a new tactic, so I wanted to post it here for comment. Some may not like it being posted, but I think it's an interesting tactic so I thought I'd get it out there for everyone to discuss.

Working Title: Graduated ship building defense
Difficulty: Advanced
Description:
With the introduction of production units coupled with a scan (planet scan) that shows resources in production people have gotten sloppy attacking planets with stored resources. Typically attackers will scan a target before launch, and perhaps a tick after launch but not again until right before landing to see what they have in production. The basic premise is that if the defender does not quickly put resources into production he cannot get them out in time for defense. This is not in fact true. The explanation of why is complex, and I will refer readers to the section of the manual on production for the complete explanation, but the short story is because factories add cost to an order, a player can put just one ship into production using all of his factories, and the order still takes 3 ticks to complete. However, after the first two ticks the costs of the factories are mostly paid off, so if at this point the user adds a bunch of ships to the order, the ships will not take as long to complete as calculators would tell you because the calculators factor in the factory costs, which are basically 0 at this point. If the defender gradually adds ships to the order he can time it so that a large number of ships come out of production at that last minute, even though for the first 4 or 5 ticks it appeared that the defender only had a very small amount of resources in production. This is especially useful for zik players who can pump out a large number of stealing ships unexpectedly in this way.
Counter: The counter is very simple, always plan for the defender's stockpile when planning the attack. If you have enough attack ships to overwhelm the defender, in most cases he won't bother to try and build out of the attack. Additionally if the attackers planet scan each tick they should see a gradual buildup of ships in production, indicating that this tactic is being used.

For the record, in case anyone asks, this is NOT a bug. This is in fact a clever use of how factories are designed. So the tactic is perfectly legal, and frankly quite clever.

#strategy
Unread 24 Feb 2009, 07:50   #97
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
usually whenever i play xan and cover an inc, ill send along one pod so only 1 ship shows up as def

that way when people see the jumpgate, they're slightly more inclined to land on my defence

its gotten me some pretty good salvage, maybe that should be a new strat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2009, 08:44   #98
Gate
;D!

Addition to Monroe:

It's good to always be prepared. Even if you don't think your gal is gonna get inc, before you go to bed, order 1 ship. Set factories to maximum, and reset them to the right number so that the 1 ship will arrive the tick after you wake up.

If you have incomings, then all your factory production cost is done and you can build far more to get out of incs.
Unread 24 Feb 2009, 12:14   #99
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've pretty much survived the round with only 3/2/3 factories this way, along with my whole gal. "Burning prod time" can lead to some pretty good crashes if people aren't wary of it. Contrary to what monroe says you don't have to have a gradual buildup of ships in prod though. You can prod quite a bit in just a few ticks on max pop+feud/dict if you get rid of all the factory cost.

Another tactic specific to this round which should be noted is suicide harpy def. Against pure xan incs you literally cannot lose value after salvage and in fact if you're low ranked plus feud you make quite a profit even with your whole fleet wiped out.
Unread 24 Feb 2009, 16:10   #100
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I've pretty much survived the round with only 3/2/3 factories this way, along with my whole gal. "Burning prod time" can lead to some pretty good crashes if people aren't wary of it. Contrary to what monroe says you don't have to have a gradual buildup of ships in prod though. You can prod quite a bit in just a few ticks on max pop+feud/dict if you get rid of all the factory cost.

Another tactic specific to this round which should be noted is suicide harpy def. Against pure xan incs you literally cannot lose value after salvage and in fact if you're low ranked plus feud you make quite a profit even with your whole fleet wiped out.
I don't see you're point as contradictory to mine, it more compliments it. If you're goal is to maximize the amount of ships then yes gradual is better, but if you're goal is to hide as long as possible then waiting as long as possible is better. I'll add that to the tactic.

Can you expand your explanation of the suicide defense? I would like to add it to the list in a more documented way. Thanks.

#strategy