User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Jun 2007, 11:14   #1
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point
I cheated. ;)

OK, so, first off, just to say I advised PAteam of this, so it should a loophole closed.

On signup the EULA is (or by the time you read this.. was) editable before clicking 'I agree'.

Obviously, a loophole that could cause some fun.
AdmV0rl0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 11:27   #2
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: I cheated. ;)

Irrelevant if they don't. Editing the EULA before signing would be materially changing the contract between you and PA, meaning they (PA, Jolt, affiliates) would not be considered bound by said contract and no contract would exist. Thus you could have your account removed for failure to sign an EULA agreement between yourself and Jolt.

Obviously still very careless that it was editable in the first place.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 11:36   #3
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Irrelevant if they don't. Editing the EULA before signing would be materially changing the contract between you and PA, meaning they (PA, Jolt, affiliates) would not be considered bound by said contract and no contract would exist. Thus you could have your account removed for failure to sign an EULA agreement between yourself and Jolt.

Obviously still very careless that it was editable in the first place.
---

Well, that's your take. EULA's are very grey legally. And allowing one party to edit it means that one might argue such a contract still holds water. But thats all besides the point. I posted in humour, so no need to go overboard. PAteam were advised, I am sure the loophole will get snipped

Ad
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 17:28   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's a tricky situation but I can't see you being allowed to succeed in English contract law solely on the basis of editing the EULA before agreeing to it.
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 18:44   #5
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
It's a tricky situation but I can't see you being allowed to succeed in English contract law solely on the basis of editing the EULA before agreeing to it.
Erm, if you follow that line, click through EULA's are at best wobbly. And thats just in the UK. You may have noted that both Gateway and Second life are in legal action over EULAs.

Further, lets be real about this. The EULA can't have legal basis, as you have under 16's signing a legal contract - assuming people start getting overly legal on the subject.

Anyway, lets get away from being serious, It was a humourous posting and I don't think the EULA will remain in a state where someone can edit it before clicking 'I agree'.
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 18:58   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmV0rl0n
Erm, if you follow that line, click through EULA's are at best wobbly. And thats just in the UK. You may have noted that both Gateway and Second life are in legal action over EULAs.

Further, lets be real about this. The EULA can't have legal basis, as you have under 16's signing a legal contract - assuming people start getting overly legal on the subject.

Anyway, lets get away from being serious, It was a humourous posting and I don't think the EULA will remain in a state where someone can edit it before clicking 'I agree'.
EULA says you have to be over 18 to play, or get an over 18 person to agree to the EULA. Therefore, we could technically close all people under 16 who didn't get an adult to agree it.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 19:18   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
EULA says you have to be over 18 to play, or get an over 18 person to agree to the EULA. Therefore, we could technically close all people under 16 who didn't get an adult to agree it.
Im sure this make sense for somebody.
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 19:41   #8
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

heh good stuff kal, keep up the work. incidentally if this is the case, why is all the censorship and such faggotry aimed at babies?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 20:01   #9
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
You know, this is thin ice. Seriously. Even if an adult clicks 'I agree', making that legal link between that person and the person you close is dubious. Click through EULAs are very shaky legally once you start with this stuff.

That aside, if its over 18 to play, GREAT, we can have lots of dubious pron for out gal pics ;P
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 20:23   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
You know, this is thin ice. Seriously. Even if an adult clicks 'I agree', making that legal link between that person and the person you close is dubious. Click through EULAs are very shaky legally once you start with this stuff.

That aside, if its over 18 to play, GREAT, we can have lots of dubious pron for out gal pics ;P
Clearly the game isn't for over 18's only - in the same sense lots of standalone pc and console games arn't. But for the eula's to be legally binding they require agreement with someone who is old enough to enter into a binding contract. That is why a lot of eula's have similar statements as ours do about age. The contract is therefore with the adult who clicks the button and jolt.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Jun 2007, 23:11   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm fairly confident (though by no means certain) that the "18 year old person" that needs to agree can in fact only be the legal guardian, and no one else.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2007, 00:01   #12
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
I'm fairly confident (though by no means certain) that the "18 year old person" that needs to agree can in fact only be the legal guardian, and no one else.
I'm quite sure that if ever tested legally, which no one wants, that the EULA would be a very tricky area. Its not likely someone would take legal action given the low cost, and it would be quite against the spirit of the game to do so anyway. But if it ever came to a crunch, I would not be too keen to tie myself to the mast of the EULA.
Unread 10 Jun 2007, 00:58   #13
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

REALLY?!

I'm off to take a tippex and a biro to my work contract then, and add another £50k to my salary!
Unread 10 Jun 2007, 01:44   #14
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I wonder what Amazon & co are going to say about EULA's on the internet being illegal

AdmV0rl0n, sorry, but I have rarely seen someone talking as much shit as you lately.
Unread 10 Jun 2007, 01:48   #15
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The post was meant in jest as well as highlighting an issue!

What has happened to people in this game?

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2007, 02:41   #16
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What's happened is that we don't think it was an issue at all.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 10 Jun 2007, 10:20   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
that is almost certainly true, yes.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 10 Jun 2007, 17:13   #18
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

AdmV0rl0n has a good point. I edited my work and bank account contracts (on paper) before signing them. These were then accepted by the bank and my work.

Planetarion automatically accepts the agreement, so leaving the ability to edit it is dangerous ground.

In the end its a silly mistake, fix it and move on, its hardly a big deal. Everyone will need to agree to it again next round anyway.

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2007, 17:38   #19
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

Why havent you been closed for trolling ? Another legal thread is the very last thing I wanted to read on the internet today, this and whatever story that bitch Paris Hilton is making up to get out of jail
Unread 11 Jun 2007, 17:38   #20
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Paris Hilton is in jail? Tell me more!
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 15:54   #21
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo0f
AdmV0rl0n has a good point. I edited my work and bank account contracts (on paper) before signing them. These were then accepted by the bank and my work.

Planetarion automatically accepts the agreement, so leaving the ability to edit it is dangerous ground.

In the end its a silly mistake, fix it and move on, its hardly a big deal. Everyone will need to agree to it again next round anyway.

I had a very good point indeed. And I expressed it in a light hearted way so I would have hoped people would understand things, as well as accept the genial way I raised the issue.

As for those with sour responses, or worse, those who stupidly tried to claim it was not an issue, who cares? I certainly don't.