User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:57   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Programming: English or your native language?

This is primarilly a question for people who don't speak English as their native language:
Do you write your code in English or in your native language?
When I look at code from people in my class I always hate it when they have Dutch function/variable names and even Dutch comment.
Personally I do everything in English. Function names, variables and even all my comment. I simply feel more comfortable writing this in English.

How about you?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 02:51   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
So do I! I always try to keep it 100% English. You never know if you ever gonna publish your code under some sort of open source license.
It's best if you work in a team or you use other code from international sources...

BUT, I sometimes do add German comments for convenience. Also, it's not always easy, to find a fitting English name for the exact expression you wanted to give to that variable.

Since usually all native commands (of the programming language) are in English, the code itself should be as well. It just feels right...
I hate the German version of Excel which even translates IF-Statements and stuff to german commands.... Pffff
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 06:58   #3
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Latest project at work was done with strings (what's presented to the user) done in norwegian, and code and comments in english.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 00:45   #4
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
When I write code for my company, I always do everything in English. When I write something for my own amusement, I often use words from my native tongue for variable names.
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 04:33   #5
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
English. It just seems totally illogical to me that one should have varnames and comments in one language when the programming language is clearly based on another. My school is intent on teaching Java in Norwegian, I find it very annoying as really I'm just sitting there translating everything as they go along, and I'm almost certain everyone else is as well (including the teacher).
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 12:21   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
completly at random, sometimes english, sometimes in my native language. this, ofc, is the worst way anyone can work
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 13:08   #7
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
http://mindprod.com/unmainnaming.html

Last edited by queball; 24 Sep 2003 at 16:46.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 13:04   #8
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
/me wonders if i could use chinese characters

that would surely fcuk up anyone trying to read my comments.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 21:50   #9
akhbareth
The Wise

akhbareth is an unknown quantity at this point
mostly program in english,
sometimes the special characters in norwegian (æøå), can make a mess of th code.
akhbareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 21:29   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Code:
function dosomeat(string stuff){
//  This does someat, if tha's not got breens tae work it aht fer
//  thee sen tha shouldnae be readin' i'

}
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2003, 01:05   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
If i'm doing something for my own benefit, or testing something for my study-work, then i'll often use made up words (SYMMish?), but for hand-in things, all nice proper variable/method names