User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:26   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I just saw an old blind lady get mugged

I'm not happy! I was walking from my office down to the bank, there's only a few houses, and a small light-industrial area. So hardly anything/anybody around.

The old lady was sat on the step of her house, I was bout 300m away when I saw a kid on a bike (in a shell suit and cap of course!) stop by her. He then sped off. Due to her being blind, it took her a while to work out she'd been robbed. So he was about 600m away when I finally ran after him. As you can guess, I didn't catch him

What kind of person robs an old blind lady on pension day? I am most upset now.

Grrrr...

This was in Salford, Manchester, by the way.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:29   #2
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
You think thats low, last night i saw people stealing from a CHARITY SHOP .
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:31   #3
Shakky
Divine

Shakky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan

:-S

the world we live in today

Nosferatu
Silver
Elysium
RaH
Eclipse
Shakky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:38   #4
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
You gotta be kidding?! Where? When? Who? How? Etc... what did they rob?!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:55   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
You gotta be kidding?! Where? When? Who? How? Etc... what did they rob?!

M.
Hand-me-down clothes of course.
Nice.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:56   #6
[GAP]Obiwan

well.... driving along, i saw a van pull outside a charity shop, ran in grabbed a load of stuff threw it in the back of the van then drove off at high speed! i couldn't believe it :/
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:57   #7
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Re: I just saw an old blind lady get mugged

Quote:

What kind of person robs an old blind lady on pension day? I am most upset now.
somebody who knows how to pick the right targets
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:58   #8
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

And people in another thread are saying thieves shouldnt be shot
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:00   #9
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Re: I just saw an old blind lady get mugged

Quote:

What kind of person robs an old blind lady on pension day? I am most upset now.......

....This was in Salford, Manchester, by the way.
Well Mancunians obviously.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:09   #10
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Some people just have no self-respect.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:21   #11
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
Some people just have no self-respect.
Christian in Saying The Right Thing For Once Shocker!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:24   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
we have had the charity box nicked from here before by smackheads :/
it had about £2.30 in or something
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:47   #13
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Christian in Saying The Right Thing For Once Shocker!

M.
Is there anyway I can fix this into my signature without making it look messy ?
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:50   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Happend to my grandmother

Accidentically the family got their hands on the guy's personalia and my grandmother's sons payed him a visit. As he was never there he was quite lucky. Later on he was arrested by the police and will probably pay his entire life a part of his income off to my grandmother.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 16:21   #15
[GAP]Obiwan

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
Happend to my grandmother

Accidentically the family got their hands on the guy's personalia and my grandmother's sons payed him a visit. As he was never there he was quite lucky. Later on he was arrested by the police and will probably pay his entire life a part of his income off to my grandmother.
IF that happened to me, i'd have a good mind to go round to the robbers house and **** in his slippers.

Obi
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 17:13   #16
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Thats nothing. Last night I was stealing from a charity shop and this young yobbo just stood there and watched me do it!

What kinda lowlife scum stands there and watches a charity shop get ripped off. Its a fking disgrace, the yoof of today havent got an ounce of decency in them.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 17:57   #17
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
you hear this in our newspaper a lot unfortunately. 80 year olds who can't walk properly, can't hear properly and are almost blind getting robbed.
Disgusting

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 18:06   #18
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
but the REAL victims are the robbers here. we should coddle them, find out if their feelings have been hurt and that's why they are robbing people. we should hold their hands and cry with them.
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 09:53   #19
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by bobble
but the REAL victims are the robbers here. we should coddle them, find out if their feelings have been hurt and that's why they are robbing people. we should hold their hands and cry with them.
Indeed! We should also offer them legal aid so they can sue the council, schools, police... in fact everybody who let them down and turned them into old-lady-robbers!

It's the robbers who are the real victims!!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 12:33   #20
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Its really low to rob old ladies, and luckily, the ones that do it (usually) get their ass kicked by more "serious" criminals, if they find out that is. I know that i would kick my friends ass if i found out that he had robbed a old/blind person (not that im a serious criminal, im not criminal at all), and then force him to pay her three times the amount of stuff/money he had stolen from that person.

BUT, the best way to eliminate crime is to make sure there are no excuses for crime. Nobody in his right mind robs a old lady if he/she dont need the money/things, so eliminate the needs of the lower classes, eliminate the need for money, get the smackheads into rehab (and some real rehab, not the crap of today), make sure that society dont create new types of criminals, and make people who don't need/want to be criminals are forced into crime, and all that would be left would be the "crimes of passion", giving the police much better chances of clearing up rapes/molestings/serialkillers etc, since they would not be bogged down by random robbings.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:18   #21
bagg
Stoppit

bagg is an unknown quantity at this point
no punishment - just cattle brand **** on their forehead
bagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:23   #22
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
yeah, like none of you have ever mugged an old blind lady
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:27   #23
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
I thought a mugging usually involves a beating too.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:34   #24
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
I thought a mugging usually involves a beating too.
It does.

Mug: "To attack and rob (a person), esp. in a public place."
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:54   #25
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
It does.

Mug: "To attack and rob (a person), esp. in a public place."
well then the thread starter is lying and should be reported to the ASA. I though I was going to hear about a proper mugging, and all it was was some spotty townie in a kappa shellsuit sticking his hand in some old woman's purse.

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:57   #26
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
You are the antithesis of "radical".
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:58   #27
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
lovely.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 14:00   #28
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
You are the antithesis of "radical".
well I have never claimed nor implied that I am radical in any way.

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 14:01   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
well I have never claimed nor implied that I am radical in any way.
He's a gay alien basketball player.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 14:03   #30
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
He's a gay alien basketball player.
good one Ein.

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 15:18   #31
bobble

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Its really low to rob old ladies, and luckily, the ones that do it (usually) get their ass kicked by more "serious" criminals, if they find out that is. I know that i would kick my friends ass if i found out that he had robbed a old/blind person (not that im a serious criminal, im not criminal at all), and then force him to pay her three times the amount of stuff/money he had stolen from that person.

BUT, the best way to eliminate crime is to make sure there are no excuses for crime. Nobody in his right mind robs a old lady if he/she dont need the money/things, so eliminate the needs of the lower classes, eliminate the need for money, get the smackheads into rehab (and some real rehab, not the crap of today), make sure that society dont create new types of criminals, and make people who don't need/want to be criminals are forced into crime, and all that would be left would be the "crimes of passion", giving the police much better chances of clearing up rapes/molestings/serialkillers etc, since they would not be bogged down by random robbings.
So reward people with money and food for being selfish and lazy? "Fill their needs" and they won't turn to crime? That's ridiculously idealistic. People will always rob and steal, even if you 'fill their needs', because they will want more. And there will always be people that will want more and not work for it.

But go on, in fantasyland all is perfect.
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 15:47   #32
queball
Ball

****ing hell bobble, could you stop saying the exact same thing in every ****ing post please.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 16:12   #33
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
****ing hell bobble, could you stop saying the exact same thing in every ****ing post please.
****ing right, its ****ing getting on my ****ing **** that **** is **** **** **** fag
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 16:23   #34
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
That's ridiculously idealistic. People will always rob and steal, even if you 'fill their needs', because they will want more. And there will always be people that will want more and not work for it.
While this is partially a truism, can it be developed a bit? I mean, there's differing level of crime in each society. I would agree that, for instance, there will always be rape, or murder, or even theft. However, the level of rape or theft (say) is much higher in South Africa than it is than Norway. This might be due to the people of South Africa being inherently different (lo racism) or it might be the social/economic structure of each society.

If it's the latter then surely there's changes we can make to make society more like Norway and less like South Africa?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 16:33   #35
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
While this is partially a truism, can it be developed a bit? I mean, there's differing level of crime in each society. I would agree that, for instance, there will always be rape, or murder, or even theft. However, the level of rape or theft (say) is much higher in South Africa than it is than Norway. This might be due to the people of South Africa being inherently different (lo racism) or it might be the social/economic structure of each society.

If it's the latter then surely there's changes we can make to make society more like Norway and less like South Africa?

The exact causes are difficult to pin down really. I'd probably lay the blame on increasing competition for scarce resources (of all kinds). This serves to create an atmosphere bereft of hope for many people who either see their escape (easiest if not only) in crime or just don't even bother thinking about it due to social background and predisposition. It's an unfortunate by-product of the fact that one bad deed sparks off a million more. Making South Africa more like Norway sounds a bit bizzare though. They're clearly not the same countries, don't have the same resources/type of resources available, a history of racial violence, less stable neighbours....the list goes on.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 16:52   #36
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
here's an idea: BRING BACK THE EXECUTIONS!!!! it's like training a dog, if the dog does something bad - you punish it. if a criminal commits a crime - YOU KILL THEM!!! thus scaring other potential criminals into thinking about their actions. I must admit that the British Justice system is screwed, badly. For instance, the farmer who shot and killed a burglar protecting his him gets put into prison for it?!?!? now when he gets released, the other burglar, who he only wounded, gets to sue him!!!! IT'S RIDICULOUS!!!
We shall remember them.

Last edited by Demon Dave; 18 Jun 2003 at 18:31.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 22:47   #37
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
So reward people with money and food for being selfish and lazy? "Fill their needs" and they won't turn to crime? That's ridiculously idealistic. People will always rob and steal, even if you 'fill their needs', because they will want more. And there will always be people that will want more and not work for it.

But go on, in fantasyland all is perfect.
What's so idealistick about it?
To use Norway (like the red one does) as a example, but instead, compare it to a more "alike" country, like for instance, USA. (USA and Norway have to generaly very different societies, but more alike then Norway and South Africa)
What country do you belive has the most crimes that involves robbing somebody of their possesions for personal gain? Norway, or the USA? (In %, not the numbers up front, as USA has a lot more citizens then Norway). I don't know the numbers, but i would bet my left arm that Norway has less. Why? Beacause Norwegians are generally kinder, or beacause we dont have that amount of poverty, thus creating the same enviroment for crime?

Now, you can incerease punishment, you can incerease the number of cops, and judges, and DE's. It wont work, as long as the "people" have no money, so that they drive into crime. Most criminals are outcasts, not many have hopes of ever driving BMW's and wearing fat gold-rings. They just want to live thorught the next day, get the next dose, and not get caught. Do you belive those people, so desperate after food/drugs, will stop wanting those things (that they cant get, beacause they have no money and no chances of getting a job) just beacause there are twice the amount of cops on the street? No. They will just go futher, go wilder and become more dangerous, just so that they wont get caught. Lets say they are about to rob somebody (A act i despise, i hate people who rob normal citizens (read=Not big bucks) of their money/possesions), and have to choices: 1. Rob them up front, thus incereasing the chanses of getting caught thorught ID, etc, or 2. Hitting them in the back of the head whit a leadpipe from behind, thus decerasing the chances of getting caught. What do you think YOU would do, if you were not sitting home in a comfortabale chair, talking on your computer? Nobody wants to go to jail, simple as that. If we make punishments harder, we make harder criminals.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 23:21   #38
queball
Ball

snurx, you rock!!
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 04:55   #39
bobble

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
What's so idealistick about it?
To use Norway (like the red one does) as a example, but instead, compare it to a more "alike" country, like for instance, USA. (USA and Norway have to generaly very different societies, but more alike then Norway and South Africa)
What country do you belive has the most crimes that involves robbing somebody of their possesions for personal gain? Norway, or the USA? (In %, not the numbers up front, as USA has a lot more citizens then Norway). I don't know the numbers, but i would bet my left arm that Norway has less. Why? Beacause Norwegians are generally kinder, or beacause we dont have that amount of poverty, thus creating the same enviroment for crime?

Now, you can incerease punishment, you can incerease the number of cops, and judges, and DE's. It wont work, as long as the "people" have no money, so that they drive into crime. Most criminals are outcasts, not many have hopes of ever driving BMW's and wearing fat gold-rings. They just want to live thorught the next day, get the next dose, and not get caught. Do you belive those people, so desperate after food/drugs, will stop wanting those things (that they cant get, beacause they have no money and no chances of getting a job) just beacause there are twice the amount of cops on the street? No. They will just go futher, go wilder and become more dangerous, just so that they wont get caught. Lets say they are about to rob somebody (A act i despise, i hate people who rob normal citizens (read=Not big bucks) of their money/possesions), and have to choices: 1. Rob them up front, thus incereasing the chanses of getting caught thorught ID, etc, or 2. Hitting them in the back of the head whit a leadpipe from behind, thus decerasing the chances of getting caught. What do you think YOU would do, if you were not sitting home in a comfortabale chair, talking on your computer? Nobody wants to go to jail, simple as that. If we make punishments harder, we make harder criminals.
Your argument is based on false assumptions
1) you believe I am for harsher punishments - this negates most of your rather paper-thin argument
2) you believe giving people food, shelter, (other essentials) will stop their 'drive' for crime - this negates the rest

poverty is a cause of some crime, but hardly the cause of all, or even the majority of it.

jealousy, greed, stupidity, and even just a simple 'rush' are all causes of crimes also. you're not going to remotely solve those by providing life essentials for people.

many people will always want more, and not want to work for it.
many people wil lstill commit crimes just for kicks.
some for attention
the list goes on.

this is why it's idealistic. sure, sounds great in theory, but wouldn't work for pocket lint in reality.
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 04:59   #40
bobble

Quote:
ill change what i say when appropriate

i havent stopped in GD for a long time. i see the same people are still clinging to a fantasy world where everyone is honky-dory and life is spectacular. its not reality.

so the comments fit in more than one response.

deal with it.
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 06:33   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
some for attention
Yes, there will always be crime. No-one has said otherwise.

But it seems pretty obvious crime can be reduced by various programs (direct and indirect). For instance, if we doubled the amount of police (and I'm not advocating this, but just as an example) the real level (not reported) of crime would decrease, if only a little. Extending your argument you could use it to criticise any program to combat crime :

"I think we should increase sentences for muder, to make sure life means life in prison. That might be a deterent."
"Nah, people will always commit crimes."

"I think we should spend more money on the police force."
"Nah, people will always commit crimes."

Etc, etc. It's true, but not really answering the point. Even if poverty (absolute or relative) is only responsible for 10% of crimes internationally (which seems very low, but nevermind) surely then abolishing poverty would have some effect on crime? If you're saying that it's not worth it just to reduce crime by x% then cool, but that's a different argument as to the true "value" of reducing crime.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 08:00   #42
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Your argument is based on false assumptions
1) you believe I am for harsher punishments - this negates most of your rather paper-thin argument
2) you believe giving people food, shelter, (other essentials) will stop their 'drive' for crime - this negates the rest

poverty is a cause of some crime, but hardly the cause of all, or even the majority of it.

jealousy, greed, stupidity, and even just a simple 'rush' are all causes of crimes also. you're not going to remotely solve those by providing life essentials for people.

some for attention
the list goes on.

this is why it's idealistic. sure, sounds great in theory, but wouldn't work for pocket lint in reality.
Have you any facts to this? Any proof? Or is it just assumtion?
Crime is a bigger problem is poorer parts of cities. Do you think that is beacause poor people commit much more "crimes of passion", or that they do more crime to get food/shelter?
How do you know most criminals are after more money (greed), or that they are stupid, or that they are jealous?(Of course they are the last, they see us rich people and want the same, understandably)
I belive (and i will do, untill somebody proves that its wrong) that most crimes could be stopped by removing poverty. Most of the crimes that is commited (petty theft, robbings, muggings) is not done to get rich. Its done to make it throught the day. There are other, less common crimes from "poor places", often involving gang violence, murder, drugs and stuff like that, hard gangs. Those "hard" gangs are often a result of goverment policy, and those are as you say "for profit", or greed. But most of them startet out as people who wanted to make it thought the day, and then found out that they wanted to become like "us". Stop the first, and the second will die out, especially if you "drive them hard" so to say.
Then the police/caretakers/whatever could concentrate more on the crimes of passion. Those are the ones that is not "stoppabale" by removing poverty, as they are not there for pofit.

(Of course there are crimes for greed, but as i watch the news and reads the papers, it seems like most of them are done by people who allready have so much money that it they dont need any more. They cheat banks, corruption, false obligations. Those are the "real criminals", as they dont need more. And, those are harder to stop too, as they have the money to pay people off. And often do.)

This drive for crime, this rush. That does not really apply all that much to robbings/muggings, more to crimes like graffiti. I mean, have you ever tried doing it yourself? And if not, how do you know?

I do not belive you are for harsher punishments, but most people seem to be, so i used that as a example.
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 08:11   #43
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Problem solved.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote