User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 May 2005, 12:59   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
When I grow up, I want one of these in my backyard

A stirling engine (here too). Reading a topic on gamedev.net I learned that these engines can operate with a relatively low temperature difference (of 10 degrees Celcius). Thinking of it, if you could put one of the pistons under ground where it's cool, and the other one in the sun, where it heats up, you could create a big enough temperature difference where it could work.
And if you are a bit handy with welding equipment you could make one yourself. Or you just hire on of the Discovery Channel scrapheap teams.
Or am I being over-enthusiastic about this?
Unread 10 May 2005, 17:48   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: When I grow up, I want one of these in my backyard

I reckon they're pretty cool =(

Not enough to buy a kit though.
Unread 10 May 2005, 19:13   #3
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Interestingly (or probably not), brown dwarfs (stars that are too small to undergo fusion, like the gas giants in our solar system) do a similar thing. They contract under their own gravity, which causes a pressure buildup, which makes them hot, which makes them expand again. People used to think this was how the sun worked, but it doesn't last nearly long enough.

[/useless physics stuff]
Unread 10 May 2005, 20:17   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Or you could put one underground where it's hot, and the other one in the sun, where it's cool.

And solar panels generate electricity from sunlight alone, yet people still burn coal. Crazy!
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 20:22   #5
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Or you could put one underground where it's hot, and the other one in the sun, where it's cool.
what?
sun is cool?
Unread 10 May 2005, 20:49   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: When I grow up, I want one of these in my backyard

Clicked on this thread in the hope that it would be more interesting than a Poker thread. I swiftly realised it was destined to disapoint on this score.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 02:04   #7
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: When I grow up, I want one of these in my backyard

I thought those Stirling engines didn't really work that efficient unless you had an ideal gas?

Well, I've seen one in action last week during my physics lecture, and I really liked it. I instantly wondered why there are not cars etc driving with this kind of engine, then I felt asleep because I was tired (probably from staying up at night and doing things like reading these boards)...

I gotta do some pretty serious (for me at least) maths/physics exercises about this machine for the next week, can't be bothered...
Unread 11 May 2005, 07:43   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Well, I've seen one in action last week during my physics lecture, and I really liked it. I instantly wondered why there are not cars etc driving with this kind of engine, then I felt asleep because I was tired (probably from staying up at night and doing things like reading these boards)...
Because the engine can not accelerate very fast (in terms of RPM), which is required for cars. Wikipedia told me that.
Still, I think it's great for saving energy costs by putting one in the yard. Although the initial investment costs for a professional engine might be a tad high. That's why I suggested making one self because the concept in itself seems simple enough.
Unread 11 May 2005, 09:14   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I suspect if they could do anything useful, they would have been developed by now.
However, it could make an interesting conversation piece, if only when the local council come over and say "wtf is that in your garden, and do you have planning permission."
Unread 11 May 2005, 10:08   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it might become the next gadget craze to follow in the footsteps of the lava lamp, swiging balls and wave generator.

Expect to see them on your local business executive's desk soon.
Unread 11 May 2005, 10:23   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Every employee's chair should be fitted with one of these engines, and when the employee sits on the chair with his warm arse the engine starts to run which will power the computer and lights. Power savings ahoy
What I haven't figured out yet is when the employee gets up to get some coffee and the engine stops and computer shuts down. But when I tackle that problem I'm going to be rich... rich like Bill Gates I tell you!
Unread 11 May 2005, 11:28   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You continental types have always been crazy.
Unread 11 May 2005, 12:07   #13
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Every employee's chair should be fitted with one of these engines, and when the employee sits on the chair with his warm arse the engine starts to run which will power the computer and lights. Power savings ahoy
What I haven't figured out yet is when the employee gets up to get some coffee and the engine stops and computer shuts down. But when I tackle that problem I'm going to be rich... rich like Bill Gates I tell you!
harness the power of sweat my dear fellow! when they get up the remaining sweat should yield enough hydrogen to power the chair momentarily while they walk to the coffee machine and back....
Unread 11 May 2005, 12:19   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
You continental types have always been crazy.
Not crazy. Just a good eye for business.
Unread 11 May 2005, 22:39   #15
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I suspect if they could do anything useful, they would have been developed by now.

However, it could make an interesting conversation piece, if only when the local council come over and say "wtf is that in your garden, and do you have planning permission."
They are already used in some applications. The howstuffworks article mentions submarines, where you need to be quiet. Plenty of hobbyists will have made some kind of Stirling engine at some point.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 23:15   #16
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

just out of curiosity...

why would you want one?
Unread 11 May 2005, 23:24   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: When I grow up, I want one of these in my backyard

Because you were a weirdo?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote